Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412443 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »

He's looking to have it produce generated civs from scratch at high enough settings, with nothing we might recognize necessarily even showing up.

That's true enough, but I don't think it fully answers Shonai_Dweller's question.

I suspect the broad categories that make up the list are immutable but that suggestions can be added to categories they match without bothering version numbers. So for instance Toady's finishes the "Economy" and then alters the version number but then someone comes up with a good suggestion that fits within "Economy". He can just add it in if he likes at any time without changing the version number. If it's a suggestion that's beyond the scope of the current vision the brothers have decided constitute version 1.0 they can leave it for the mythical DF2.

I think that's probably how it is, but it would be nice to get Toady's input on it to see if you got it right.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2016, 12:03:08 pm »

Part Question, Part suggestion. If you to improve this, try making a new suggestion thread for it.
so, Toady, Why did you make dragonfire deadlier? It makes it less fun, because you used to have a few turns while bleeding to death to fight the dragon. now if you get hit by the dragonfire, you instantly evaporate. This is neither fun nor !!FUN!!. could you please make it so the dragonfire is as hot as it used to be, but also affects hit shields. It's ridiculous that wooden shields still block dragonfire. nether-cap shields should be made useful for fighting a dragon, as it itself will cool you off.

Wouldn't having the dragonfire not make creatures go poof, while also effecting shields that block it like other items (which basically went poof by themselves even before the change), be just as bad as going poof in the first place? As anything but a fixed-temp shield would just melt/evaporate in your hand and mean death.

I understand having dragonfire blockable by wooden shields is kinda wonky, but dragons would just = death without some way of countering the breath attack. At least for the moment, before the artifact/magic stuff is fleshed out and all that.
But wouldn't adamantium be able to still block it? and if Dragon fire is un-buffed, then iron and steel can still block it(although in real life, steel armor + heat = more heat).
Not to mention Nether-cap would be great, as it would make you cooler as well, so the dragonfire has less of an effect. If a deep-elf were wearing full Nether-cap armor, but no shield, wouldn't he be invincible(from heat, as least)?
Actually dragonfire is hot enough to boil adamantine.
Realistically dragonfire is hot enough to start nuclear fusion and would probably turn the planet into a tiny star. At least until it ran out of fuel because there's not nearly enough easily fusable materials on Earth or an Earth-like planet to support being a star for very long. Toady went really overboard on the mythical materials. Adamantine pretty much breaking the laws of physics with how rigid and sharp it is, slade being denser than the core of the sun, and dragonfire being hotter than the surface of the sun (though not the core of the sun that's still far hotter).
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2016, 12:07:44 pm »

Everyone's shocked that the old FotF thread is full, and here I am still dealing with the earth-shattering revelation that Toady One hasn't read Guards Guards.

Mr. One, if you fail to read Guards Guards, you are doing yourself a disservice. If you aren't careful, you may find a number of forumites staging an intervention.
Tr la la la- OMYGOSHHAVEYOUNOTREADGUARDSGUARDS?
You do not want Carrot Ironfoundersson as your Hammerer.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2016, 12:10:25 pm »

Well of course he wouldn't be hammerer, he'd be [lots of spoilers:King].
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »

Part Question, Part suggestion. If you to improve this, try making a new suggestion thread for it.
so, Toady, Why did you make dragonfire deadlier? It makes it less fun, because you used to have a few turns while bleeding to death to fight the dragon. now if you get hit by the dragonfire, you instantly evaporate. This is neither fun nor !!FUN!!. could you please make it so the dragonfire is as hot as it used to be, but also affects hit shields. It's ridiculous that wooden shields still block dragonfire. nether-cap shields should be made useful for fighting a dragon, as it itself will cool you off.

Strange. Is this new to .05? Because I'd blocked dragonfire in .04 with no ill effects.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:07 pm »

-Will there be artifact instruments? Something like the Ocarina of Time from Zelda, for example.

Speaking of this, will artforms be able to have artifact/magical properties?
I'm thinking of someone going into a mood and coming out with a song/dance/poem that causes weird things to happen to people who perform or witness it, or maybe certain wizards using songs or poems in their spells.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:34 pm »

I'm not sure cave dragon gear would work. The first one I ever saw was swimming around in a magma pool while beset by a web slinging FB. As far as I could see the heat->bleeding, not the FB, did the cave dragon in (At a guess it was around 0.40.09, so not too long ago, and I don't think cave dragons have been changed since).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »

That's interesting. Looking at raws, they do have [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], but normal body temperature.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2016, 03:57:40 pm »

That's interesting. Looking at raws, they do have [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], but normal body temperature.

Regular dragons have body parts & blood that is resistant to boiling for this purpose in making them immune from internal injuries. They could comfortably swim around in lava but they'd probably not want to on account that they could still drown in it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »

That sort of comes up in every book he's in, but I guess that's a spoiler? Kinda weird, come to it.

FIREIMMUNE_SUPER is a creature tag, doesn't do anything to materials AFAIK. You'd have to have materials made of dragon leather to survive dragonfire.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »

If I recall, it's the tags that set all materials to have no heat damage and/or melting point. The part that sets blood and pus back to normal is to unfuck body fluids so they aren't frozen at normal temperatures.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:10 pm »

I forget if [fire-immune] and co. regardless just stop the actual creature from being able to be lit on fire (!!) or not if its all handled in the localised materials. When you've got three different things going at the same time (homeotherm to regulate overall temprature/materials to regulate contact and internal temprature/fire related tags) its difficult to keep track of them all and make sure they are accountable.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2016, 04:16:06 pm »

That sort of comes up in every book he's in, but I guess that's a spoiler? Kinda weird, come to it.
Toady hasn't read any of them though :x
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »

I've literally only read Thud! and that's it. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2016, 04:26:11 pm »

READ MORE DISCWORLD
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 211