Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412037 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2016, 11:49:55 am »

As far as I've seen visitors don't raid the clothing stores, even when they arrive nekkid (or overstay so long their clothes wear out completely). Once they become residents they upgrade, though.

Also, I haven't seen my own dorfs wear any of the artifact clothing produced unless forced via a uniform, so it's unlikely thieves would understand to wear them.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2016, 01:59:18 pm »

You don't have to understand how to wear something that's made of gold(or eagle tooth), just how much it is worth and how fast you can run with it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2016, 05:00:01 pm »

If we're talking outright theft, then yes, five finger discounting is what matters, but if we're talking more or less accidental theft, such as replacement clothing or holding on to the tome read when due to leave the fortress, knowledge of the act of its basic usage is essential.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2016, 03:15:34 pm »

With the artifact release, will residents of small settlements and towns/forts without a library have somewhere to store books and slabs? Will they appear in the owners' house or on their person, or a mead hall/civic structures?

Right now I think they just get scattered out in animal pastures and farm fields, because I occasionally stumble on a book just laying on the ground.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2016, 04:47:01 pm »

With the artifact release, will residents of small settlements and towns/forts without a library have somewhere to store books and slabs? Will they appear in the owners' house or on their person, or a mead hall/civic structures?

Right now I think they just get scattered out in animal pastures and farm fields, because I occasionally stumble on a book just laying on the ground.
Sounds like no one in that town has Reading skill, and the pictures weren't very entertaining :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2016, 07:02:14 pm »

I find an oddly large number of books in sewers sometimes. Like it isn't consistent, but I've had a few different towns where I ended up crawling the whole sewer system collecting a backpack full of page upon page of awful smelling books.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »

Sounds like no one in that town has Reading skill, and the pictures weren't very entertaining :)

Hahahah, either that or books are born out in the cabbage patch!
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2016, 01:57:35 am »

Oh, and if an adventurer loots an npc artifact and delivers it to a player fortress, are you likely to get irate invaders (or adventuring groups?!) specifically come looking for it while you're playing as that fortress?
-Urist?
-What Urist?
-Those fellows over there haven't touched their pint of beer since they arrived two months ago. They also asked lots of questions about the Golden Trousers of Urist Mcloving...
-Yeah?
-Yes. They also rented a single room for all of them.
-The five of them?
-Yes. They don't let the maid in to clean. And there's been weird digging noises near the vaults.
-Bah Urist you are too untrusted. They are fine lads...

Did someone say untrusted?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2016, 06:22:13 am »

Isn't that the right word?
Edit: Crap, now I see. Google translate  gives me this four options: suspicious, mistrustful, distrustful and mistrusted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:24:44 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2016, 06:30:15 am »

Try 'untrusting' (as to say a lack of trust in a person)

Edit- Mmm, given the load of questions im not sure if all of them are going to be answered in one go. This thread has been really baptized by fire with greenies, one more day till the 31'st (and summary end of the month) and we'll see if between then we get a reply.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:42:44 am by FantasticDorf »

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 30, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »

Can we expect at some point in the future to have the ability to control armies in a manner similar to medieval warfare, with strict formations and the like? I.E, PlayerMcGeneral or UristMcGeneral can tell a massive force to move into a phalanx or wedge.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 30, 2016, 02:12:17 pm »

Can we expect at some point in the future to have the ability to cobyntrol armies in a manner similar to medieval warfare, with strict formations and the like? I.E, PlayerMcGeneral or UristMcGeneral can tell a massive force to move into a phalanx or wedge.
That would correspond to tge army arc. So whenever that comes around. Currently the development is on artifacts and magic, maybe after that if Toady feels is the right move.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »

Can we expect at some point in the future to have the ability to control armies in a manner similar to medieval warfare, with strict formations and the like? I.E, PlayerMcGeneral or UristMcGeneral can tell a massive force to move into a phalanx or wedge.
Formations were planned for a previous version, but got delayed in favour of getting the update out sooner.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

Formations were planned for a previous version, but got delayed in favour of getting the update out sooner.
We already have the Stand Kinda Near This Spot Formation.  Don't get greedy :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2016, 06:08:05 pm »

We already have the Stand Kinda Near This Spot Formation.  Don't get greedy :)

And yet dorfs don't understand concepts like the "don't break formation even if your life depends on it" tactic. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 211