Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1414261 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2016, 02:11:47 pm »

Crossbows and bows have to be constructed out of parts that relate to how high the base force can be, then just raise the max velocity and allow string parts to exert different force strengths (say that adamantium for being both light, nigh unbreakable and thread like is perfect, gcs and forgotten beast thick webs being second to some kind of metal fiber wire alternative) if the material can take the wear and tear.
Urist pulls the trigger on his new crossbow, and the shiny filament of Adamantine jumps forward... neatly slicing through the bolt which barely moves from its perch.  Urist then gives up on this new-fangled marksdwarfship and uses the crossbow at it was intended: a blunt melee weapon.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2016, 02:31:34 pm »

So can anyone point me to a good discussion/tutorial about the new musical instruments and making some sanity of them?
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2016, 03:42:50 pm »

Crossbows and bows have to be constructed out of parts that relate to how high the base force can be, then just raise the max velocity and allow string parts to exert different force strengths (say that adamantium for being both light, nigh unbreakable and thread like is perfect, gcs and forgotten beast thick webs being second to some kind of metal fiber wire alternative) if the material can take the wear and tear.
Urist pulls the trigger on his new crossbow, and the shiny filament of Adamantine jumps forward... neatly slicing through the bolt which barely moves from its perch.  Urist then gives up on this new-fangled marksdwarfship and uses the crossbow at it was intended: a blunt melee weapon.

Real modern crossbows use springs to hold the projectile in place and carry through the tension created from the string to push foward larger arrows such as bolts (just breaking or colliding with the arrow at risk of splitting for no movement as you describe being a product without the spring when the projectile is too heavy) assuming that dwarven crossbows use a similar method, or deliberately 'round off the edges' of the adamantium/lubricate/use some kind of precise mechanical stopping block to receive the force without being cut. Dwarves naturally probably have this planned out mechanically so their crossbows are a different design to ours, perhaps having a few different mechanisms such as a wind up cog so that dwarves do not have to touch the dangerously sharp adamantium wire.

Remember the idea is to just use the tension to propel, so literally anything a dwarf could design is in bounds (sliding rollers, a small metal gear stop to physically shot-put arrows like a minature golf club for example as long as it delivers it to the desired place)

Thats the reason why nobody used 'bolts' as we know them in the 15 century, too heavy to be propelled by a string alone even at high velocity by later renditions of more powerful crossbows (bolts are entirely metal in the DF universe, and also because of weight, with poor power being shot out of a crossbow added with the weight it flies less far).

So can anyone point me to a good discussion/tutorial about the new musical instruments and making some sanity of them?

They are procedural, the best answer i can give is to look up artistic renditions of them (look for the completed instruments on the 'objects' panel of details for a detailed description of what they play and are made of) generally they will be made out of multiple materials but they all follow a usually quite similar theme. Sometimes you'll get a doddly easy peasy stone pipe, and other times some monsterous organ made out of glass, ceramic and bone besides obscure materials, all depends on the world and how it generates.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:46:49 pm by FantasticDorf »

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2016, 04:13:42 pm »

^I am certain that will be the case, because ordinary items already track that sort of history, and it would no doubt be part of the heroic item naming process. Adding relevant kills and such with the dates would be the default.

Well, I know items get kills registered on items if you're nearby when the fight happens, but I've never seen weapons have a list of kills from Worldgen fights or World Activation fights that you don't experience, even if the wielder has many kills. I always presumed this was because it wasn't implemented yet and that it's easy enough to brush aside with "They might of just used a different weapon", but if it is implemented already then please tell me.

Another question:

Will stealing Holy Relics from a temple cause the thief to get cursed in the same way toppling statues in a temple transforms you into a Vampire or a Werebeast?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2016, 06:21:56 pm »

I myself think it would be cool if the artifact-stealing kea would be named
DF languages don't have profanity, so I'm not sure how this would work ;)

ROFL!
Toady needs to get to work on that, a language without expletives is no language at all ;)

DF used to have profanity. However, Toady found that there was never a place to use it where other words from, say, violence and death spheres wouldn't be more appropriate, so it got removed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2016, 07:05:12 pm »

I figured the bigger reason was that he was tired of us chatting about our fortresses named "anusbitch the raging anus of crotches"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2016, 07:16:14 pm »

That was in the context of goblin language, though.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 02, 2016, 07:46:59 pm »

I myself think it would be cool if the artifact-stealing kea would be named
DF languages don't have profanity, so I'm not sure how this would work ;)

ROFL!
Toady needs to get to work on that, a language without expletives is no language at all ;)

DF used to have profanity. However, Toady found that there was never a place to use it where other words from, say, violence and death spheres wouldn't be more appropriate, so it got removed.

It's be neat if, rather than outright profanity, we get procedural insults based on cultural values or something. Stuff like "lowly worm" or "son of a troglodyte" though given the nature of the random names we have right now it could easily get incoherently shakespearean.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 02, 2016, 08:34:57 pm »

Well, I know items get kills registered on items if you're nearby when the fight happens, but I've never seen weapons have a list of kills from Worldgen fights or World Activation fights that you don't experience, even if the wielder has many kills. I always presumed this was because it wasn't implemented yet and that it's easy enough to brush aside with "They might of just used a different weapon", but if it is implemented already then please tell me.

My adventures in retiring and unretiring suggest that weapon kill data gets wiped when you finish the game, so I doubt worldgen tracks it. It DOES track them in cause-of-death entries in legends mode, but that's on the creature side, not the weapon side.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 02, 2016, 08:51:11 pm »

With ordinary weapons they might get wiped, but I've had adventurers that I retired and unretired who had hundreds upon hundreds of kills on their artifact weapons.

In fact, I've specifically passed down artifact weapons and had kill lists with several different adventurers listed on them.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2016, 06:39:26 am »

New devlog. Really exciting times to be a df player!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 04, 2016, 02:29:51 pm »

Now, if a zombie claims 'ownership' of a item (lets say a armlet) when the arm it's attached to is severed, does the armlet belong to the new arm creature or the original parent zombie?

In which queue a hilarious punch up when the body-piece zombie suddenly seeks to claim it for its other arm and causes a loyalty cascade in the zombie ranks trying to reclaim it, since zombies are all the same 'faction' and will respond to infighting aggressively rather than ignore it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2016, 03:17:09 pm »

Now, if a zombie claims 'ownership' of a item (lets say a armlet) when the arm it's attached to is severed, does the armlet belong to the new arm creature or the original parent zombie?

The severed arm has to be raised first, and severed limbs drop anything worn on them automatically, just as corpses drop their inventory. So I suspect this bug won't exist until after "corpses stop dropping everything" becomes a feature.

Which I doubt will be added anytime soon. Last I checked, that's a feature that's stumped even Catclysm: Dark Days Ahead, despite being a much more corpse-obsessed game and having a full dev team and contributor community. Then again, it's a very dysfunctional devteam, and unlike DF they don't have nested containers that would be needed for it to behave sanely.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2016, 10:32:14 pm »

Will other adventurers gain reputation as they wander the world rescuing artifacts and such?

Was thinking how amusing it would be to catch a bunch of visitors about to make off with your latest artifact. Then thought how much more interesting it would be if a bunch of legendary treasure hunters just turned up one day. Keep them around, they might be good in a fight? Send them straight to the 'special' guest room, usually reserved for nobles?

Would be fun to overhear the stories being told about local heroes in adventurer too.

DarkwingUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2016, 12:53:27 am »

hi toady what are your thoughts about the number of artifacts being created? A current fortress might create ten in just a few years. Will all the fortresses create this many in world gen? Are you imagining some will be more important than others, or are otherwise distinguished through mechanics?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 211