Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406926 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #405 on: August 11, 2016, 01:17:33 am »

Will entities who treasure an artifact they don't have in their possession at the moment take it personally if the player comes along and grabs it before they can?

Will individuals be upset if you have an artifact they want?

Will they recognize artifact theft? If you steal an artifact out of their site, will they despise you for it or come after you now, or will that have to wait until the law & thieving update down the line?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:20:11 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 11, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »

How do things become holy relics in world generation? Is each religious figure restricted to one artifact in their lifetime/after they're butchered? Can someone lose a pinky in life, become deserving of a relic later, and then their pinky bone is the relic or are they always constructed at someone's death? Can heirlooms or crafted artifacts become holy relics later on? Can holy relics become heirlooms for another entity? Will adventurers be able to create or influence the creation of holy relics? Will forts be able to produce holy relics if they have especially prominent temples, and would that have to wait until start scenarios?

Will adventurers always be able to tell the accurate quality of items at shops/held by others? Will the appraiser skill or the relevant crafting skill affect things? Will merchants ever try to claim an object is of better quality or made of better materials than it actually is? Will people ever claim something is a fake relic or fake artifact? Will people ever be able to try passing pyrite off as gold ore?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2016, 09:12:23 am »

Toady has been on the trend of ever expanding Adventurer interactions, so it seems reasonable that appraisal may make it, eventually. But with many "eventually" items, Sounds good, No timeline.

Where I expect to see this type of behavior, as well as the forgeries, counterfeit goods, false quality claims, etc would be once economy is up and going and/or further development of the Thief and Law arcs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2016, 05:45:24 pm »

If you're playing adventurer mode and you come across an artifact, will you automatically know it's name, or will it just be a "masterwork leather throng" until you identify it somehow?

It could be interesting if the player raids some ancient abandoned fortress and picks up what they think is some random loot, only to meet a dwarf on the road who can identify what it really is.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:07 pm »

If you're playing adventurer mode and you come across an artifact, will you automatically know it's name, or will it just be a "masterwork leather throng" until you identify it somehow?

It could be interesting if the player raids some ancient abandoned fortress and picks up what they think is some random loot, only to meet a dwarf on the road who can identify what it really is.
Appraisal skill could come in handy there. Otherwise the treasure hunter role is going to be reduced to hauling around piles of junk in the hopes of finding something neat. Indiana Jones knows an artifact cup when he sees one, as should experienced DF treasure hunters.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 13, 2016, 04:26:24 pm »

The whole hidden or imprecise knowledge thing is really interesting. We have some already like the setting that hides undiscovered history. Wrong maps and the like have been mentioned previously. From what I remember they have to get the underlying simulation working decently before having people misinterpret it. One extreme example of the player getting perfect knowledge is the combat with it's diagnostic level of detail. Imagine if the description was tied to your skills.

Indiana Jones knows an artifact cup when he sees one, as should experienced DF treasure hunters.
In fairness he had a whole lot of knowledge about the related myths. On face value a dwarven appraiser would pay little for that cup, as much as it'd upset the elves. Would be interesting if you had to do some library visiting and identify markings/inscriptions etc, would allow for scenes like that in the film. Makes me wish for adventurous Indy-like historian scholars petitioning to go off after some read about doodad.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »

Weapons, jewelry, and others kinds of artifacts that can be worn will be effectively worn by its owners? And furniture artifacts, will they be used? Or will they all be kept safe somewhere, or displayed? Maybe it will depend from owner to owner or situation to situation?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 13, 2016, 08:06:58 pm »

Weapons, jewelry, and others kinds of artifacts that can be worn will be effectively worn by its owners? And furniture artifacts, will they be used? Or will they all be kept safe somewhere, or displayed? Maybe it will depend from owner to owner or situation to situation?

In related vein, will crowns and scepters be properly used by their owners?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:18 am »

I bet not. This release, so far, is about world gen, and adventure mode and fort mode recognizing and making goals that their artifacts. Not that their also other objects.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2016, 03:58:30 am »

I bet not. This release, so far, is about world gen, and adventure mode and fort mode recognizing and making goals that their artifacts. Not that their also other objects.
But it might happen naturally if Toady wants the game to recognise that an artifact crown's 'proper storage location' according to civ A is "on the head of the king". In which case he'd probably need to clean up crown and scepter usage a little.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2016, 08:42:56 am »

Will I ever be able to melt down a metal FB into bars?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2016, 09:08:26 am »

But it might happen naturally if Toady wants the game to recognise that an artifact crown's 'proper storage location' according to civ A is "on the head of the king". In which case he'd probably need to clean up crown and scepter usage a little.
There can be more than one artifact crown in a civ.  Reminds me of a book I just read to my son, Caps for Sale.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »

So will the display cabinets and pedestals get their own zone, like statue gardens? And if so will dorfs actually go there? It seems like they lost interest in hanging out at statue gardens, dining rooms and zoos when the taverns release hit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 17, 2016, 12:04:50 am »

So will the display cabinets and pedestals get their own zone, like statue gardens? And if so will dorfs actually go there? It seems like they lost interest in hanging out at statue gardens, dining rooms and zoos when the taverns release hit.
I think they'll more then have the ability, but a typical dorf fortress population may not be that inclined.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 17, 2016, 06:02:00 am »

I think they'll more then have the ability, but a typical dorf fortress population may not be that inclined.

Museum? Do they serve booze? No? Whelp, back to the tavern!
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 211