Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406507 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #420 on: August 17, 2016, 07:29:40 am »

Well that takes care of a common suggestion topic.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2016, 07:48:07 am »

Maybe there's a need to diferentiate regular crowns from the real deal? It's kinda weird to be able to make and trade as many crowns. One would think that the market for those would be reduced to a few nobles.
On zones. Again, most likely is outside the scope but do you think to convert workshops into zones(carpenter workshop with tables, workbenches, tools, cabinets, chests, nails..), seeing you creates another kind of zone. Or will that take too much effort at this point to be a low hanging code-fruit?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2016, 11:27:08 am »

Given the increasing number of bugs, lingering remnants of bugs from the last couple "major ambitious idea" updates, and the inevitable bugs this ambitious artifact release will create, do you plan to set aside additional time for bug fixes, beyond the usual "oh shit new bugs" release that follows each feature update?

EDIT: Changed question to be more clear, because derp.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:17:02 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »

In the lull between Dwarf Fortress releases I'm playing other RPGs and it has me frustrated about some of the really arbitrary morality systems around theft in games.

Once you get to property and/or thievery do you forsee differentiating between how entities respond to stealing an object from someone vs taking an item off of their corpse? Obviously all thievery is weird in DF right now, but it seems really odd if some traveler goes off with a city guard one day and comes back in the guard's clothes that they wouldn't be hassled about it even if they can tell the villagers the story of the guard being killed by a night troll. Will there ever be concepts of/punishments for graverobbing beyond war if you steal a civ's artifact? What are some of the programming barriers, if any?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »

Will we ever see civ specific positions given arms/armor? I always thought it odd to see the sheriff, militia commander, caption captain of the guard, hammerer, champion, or those randomly genned bandit positions completely unarmed. (If this was asked in previos FotF, I apologize)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 17, 2016, 06:11:10 pm »

Will we ever see civ specific positions given arms/armor? I always thought it odd to see the sheriff, militia commander, caption captain of the guard, hammerer, champion, or those randomly genned bandit positions completely unarmed. (If this was asked in previos FotF, I apologize)
Don't they all have armour now since 43.04 "armour appropriate to roles" update?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:13:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 17, 2016, 07:07:47 pm »

No, the civ positions I mentioned are unarmed. I've never seen an armed sheriff or militia leader.

EDIT: Most bandits are armed via the 43.04 "armour appropriate to roles" update, but occasionally a human bandit leader in a mead hall will just have a knife. All the goblin bandits were sufficiently armed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:11:05 pm by peasant cretin »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 17, 2016, 08:00:27 pm »

Given the increasing number of bugs, lingering remnants of bugs from the last couple "major ambitious idea" updates, and the inevitable bugs this ambitious artifact release will create, do you plan to set aside an update for predominantly bug fixes?

I hope Toady just ignores this passive aggressive question, but everyone that hangs out here for some time knows that after a feature release Toady will always make various bug fixes releases, first fixing new bugs and later old bugs. Granted, not every bug will be fixed, but many are.

edit: You are old here. You should know that. You are just a troll.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2016, 09:29:56 pm »

with display cases and pedestals, will intelligent creatures react to displays of body parts with emotions? display the heads of previous sieges sort of thing. something along the lines of displaying human A's head, and human A's relative breaking into tears and getting emotional mid siege

will display cases/ pedestals have a limit on what is placed in/on them?
 I imagine a volume for display cases, and a single item for a pedestal. so lots of small items can go in a case, but big "non-'large" items (i am assuming "large" is based on item type) will still be placeable on a pedestal (like a especially large dragon head )

edit: green -> limegreen

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2016, 02:13:42 am »

I hope Toady just ignores this passive aggressive question, but everyone that hangs out here for some time knows that after a feature release Toady will always make various bug fixes releases, first fixing new bugs and later old bugs. Granted, not every bug will be fixed, but many are.

edit: You are old here. You should know that. You are just a troll.

If I was here to troll, I would've started whining about Toady forgetting about giant desert scorpions.

We really need more bugfix updates. I mean yes, every major feature release is followed by a bugfix release, but it would be useful if he cracked down on bugs a bit harder instead of moving on to creating NEW bugs.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2016, 02:17:56 am »

every major feature release is followed by a bugfix release

Or 5, or 10.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 18, 2016, 02:49:57 am »

I can't be the only one wishing that we had a bit more bugfixing that the norm, before we get yet another major content addition. -_-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 18, 2016, 02:54:10 am »

I know, the last one after a major release only lasted 6 months, it's unacceptable

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 18, 2016, 03:37:35 am »

Taking time fixing bugs is fine. But if you insist on snarking about it:

42.01. Main features: Location zones, art generation, vistors, clothing details, knowledge, writing, etc.
42.02. Bugfixes.
42.03. Bugfixes.
42.04. Some feature additions, mostly bugfixes, GDS redacted out of existence.
42.05. Main features: Heartperson quests, zombie nerfs. Some bugfixes.
42.06. Main features: Job details, image specifications, adventure bonecarving. Some bugfixes.
43.01. Main features: Adventure-mode woodcutting/building, work order enhancements.
43.02. Bugfixes.
43.03. Bugfixes.
43.04. Main features: Force translation, equipment damage. Incorrectly described as primarily bugfixes.
43.05. Main feature: 64-bit release. Some bugfixes.

Going back the last two version numbers and around 8 months of development, we've had 4 out of 11 releases that did NOT include ambitious Fun ideas to add new bugs. The next release is likely to continue that pattern.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 18, 2016, 04:12:36 am »

Going back the last two version numbers and around 8 months of development, we've had 4 out of 11 releases that did NOT include ambitious Fun ideas to add new bugs. The next release is likely to continue that pattern.
Yep, Toady should just abandon ambition altogether and spend the next couple of years fixing the bugs in his half finished game. Oh, but wait...that would be kind of rubbish wouldn't it? 8 of the updates you listed included bug fixes. That's pretty much 6 months of bug fixing. Plus all the bugs fixed during development (like lye).

Honestly, what are the major bugs that need fixing right now because they make the game unplayable (for normal people)? I see a weapon trap crash bug that seems serious, does that happen every time?

Other than that vanishing mechants, but they don't count as a whole merchant arc is needed to replace them altogether. Dorfs in trees isn't much fun I guess. Anything else? The bug tracker is pretty hard to work out, hundreds of pages of "Resolved-Duplicate" make it hard to see what new bugs there are.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 211