Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406664 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #495 on: August 25, 2016, 03:01:12 pm »

Ah, excellent. Now I wish I knew whether the "exp gain" idea got into people's heads. I keep citing CDDA, so it's likely I wasn't the only one and somebody guessed that it did the same thing. :V
There was an attempt a few months ago to get a dwarf legendary in every single skill. Not just the fortress ones, as that was already done a while ago, but also the adventurer ones. They started as an adventurer, and they said that they were only able to gain skill while focused. I asked if that was really what they meant and if they were sure because I was extremely sure it wasn't necessary to be focused to gain experience, but they said that was indeed what they meant and that they had farmed some skills while not focused for a while and didn't gain any. I guess this is actually worth asking Toady about, because I've never heard any other mention of this or experienced it myself.

Is there any kind of situation that can cause an adventurer to only be able to gain skill while focused? Because supposedly it's happened to someone, but I've never seen it myself.

And now that I'm unbusy from modding more nasties into a certain mod...ah, that would explain where this lunacy started. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #496 on: August 26, 2016, 09:03:36 am »

Now that the game is 64-bit, would it be possible/feasible to store the physical/mental descriptions of historical figures to be seen in legends mode? Or when you look at their corpses?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:17 pm »

Well, the info is there, I think you mean to have it accessible without the histfig being loaded on a fort map or active adventurer site?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 27, 2016, 05:40:34 pm »

What are the overall mechanics behind armor wear? What material properties are considered when determining damage, which are more important, and what armor/weapon tokens might potentially affect it?

I suspect this might have been partially puzzled out by now, but since I'm still seeing dogs tearing apart massively-buffed bone armor, a comprehensive look into how it works would be nice. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 27, 2016, 07:25:25 pm »

Elves are at peace with wildlife. Why do wild animals still rampage in their sites?

Why don't megabeasts breed in worldgen anymore? The last time I saw it happen was like 0.34, and semimegas still breed just fine.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:53:27 am by TheFlame52 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 28, 2016, 05:01:24 am »

Elves are at peace with wildlife. Why do wild animals still rampage in their sites?

Presumably they are mad at all the other animal-men denizens/animals that arent at peace with wildlife and summarily animal self defence applies in elven culture, so they will step in.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 28, 2016, 12:33:23 pm »

Presumably they are mad at all the other animal-men denizens/animals that arent at peace with wildlife and summarily animal self defence applies in elven culture, so they will step in.

Nah, they only rampage when we run out of "herbs".
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »

Are there any plans for adventurers to be able to tell how large an animal is relative to them? The wiki is great but it'd be nice to just look at something and know where it stands relative to my bird person.

Will miasma or an equivalent ever be in adventure mode? Will there ever be smells, death or otherwise, that make can make adventurers nauseous based on discipline, willpower or some other stat? Do NPCs use their sense of smell at all right now for figuring out if someone is sneaking nearby? If not will they eventually? Are there any plans to make items/foods/chemicals/potions/plants that can overwhelm sense of smell and make tracking/being tracked harder? Are there any other scent or tracking things planned for the thief arc?

I just realized dwarves in fort mode sometimes have things in their profiles about grunting when exasperated. Are any of these planned to be visible in adventure mode as actions when a character gets in a certain emotional range, or are they exclusively fort mode flavor?

Any plans for long distance teleportation within a single world/plane during the magical arc?

Will there be families/relationships for adventurers when you get into the family/law/etc arc?

Thanks for the answers as always, Toady.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #503 on: August 29, 2016, 03:12:52 pm »

Are there any plans for adventurers to be able to tell how large an animal is relative to them? The wiki is great but it'd be nice to just look at something and know where it stands relative to my bird person.

Will miasma or an equivalent ever be in adventure mode? Will there ever be smells, death or otherwise, that make can make adventurers nauseous based on discipline, willpower or some other stat? Do NPCs use their sense of smell at all right now for figuring out if someone is sneaking nearby? If not will they eventually? Are there any plans to make items/foods/chemicals/potions/plants that can overwhelm sense of smell and make tracking/being tracked harder? Are there any other scent or tracking things planned for the thief arc?

I just realized dwarves in fort mode sometimes have things in their profiles about grunting when exasperated. Are any of these planned to be visible in adventure mode as actions when a character gets in a certain emotional range, or are they exclusively fort mode flavor?

Any plans for long distance teleportation within a single world/plane during the magical arc?

Will there be families/relationships for adventurers when you get into the family/law/etc arc?

Thanks for the answers as always, Toady.

Miasma, evil clouds etc.  like all other df mechanics, are in adventure mode, it just takes awhile for it to pop up, and as you likely know it only happens in caves/buildings (the miasma).

You can express emotions in adventure mode through the talk menu , it has all happy/sad thoughts there and you can choose the one you wish to talk about.
(express emotional state)

Toady has talked about planar mechanics in one of the DF talks, you can find it there.

Yes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:16:11 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #504 on: August 29, 2016, 03:20:10 pm »

1. Why does the world arbitrarily explode into massive amounts of war and reclamations after world gen ends immediately when world activation begins?

2. I may have asked this before, I am not sure, but do you plan to improve bards in the future, like for example will player bards eventually be able to "teach" people through apprenticeship their various poems and dances like the troupe leaders in world gen do, do you plan to allow the player to send members of their troupe to places directly and will people eventually tip you if you are performing in the street? Will "meed hall performer" eventually become something more then "you can just sleep here now" (it doesnt even show up in legends!)?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:22:12 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »

Will we ever be able to visit a festival as an adventurer? If so, what update is it likely to fall under?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 29, 2016, 05:37:26 pm »

Will we ever be able to visit a festival as an adventurer? If so, what update is it likely to fall under?
Festivals outside of worldgen that you can take part in are part of the taverns arc that didn't quite make it in the last release. So, yes they're planned, but probably don't have a clear schedule now (like recipes and games).

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2016, 04:08:08 am »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but
Will weapon racks and armour stands also be used as display furniture?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:06 am »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but
Will weapon racks and armour stands also be used as display furniture?

I would suspect it to be a coinflip in terms of odds. For some reason this question reminds me of the way Toady implemented harvestable branches. Mostly because actually creating a new item token "BRANCH" instead of using a PLANT_GROWTH or even a TOOL (like I did in Adventurecraft beforehand) was a bit out of left field.

In contrast, adding more display furniture, even if they require inefficiencies like a new item token, makes sense for displaying items that aren't weapons or armor. It'll only become silly if Toady neglects the existing items that might be also useful for that purpose.

That reminds me...I can't recall if I've asked this, but what WAS your reason for implementing branches as their own separate item token BRANCH, instead of PLANT_GROWTH or some other pre-existing item token? Was there some odd bug that cropped up encouraging you to make a separate token, or was there some other reason?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:25 am »

Maybe he need to fix weapon racks and armor stands to hold regular weapons and ammo in the armories first and that isn't in the scope of this release?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 211