Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406923 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #525 on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:46 am »

Quote from: LordBaal
Again, most likely is outside the scope but do you think to convert workshops into zones(carpenter workshop with tables, workbenches, tools, cabinets, chests, nails..), seeing you creates another kind of zone. Or will that take too much effort at this point to be a low hanging code-fruit?

Converting workshops into zones is a large project.  I don't understand "seeing you creates another kind of zone".
Sorry for my terrible english. I meant, you are creating new new zones for other things (museums), and recently relatively speaking introduced temples and libraries.

Thanks for the answers! Looking forward to the next time (and release).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:04:08 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 31, 2016, 10:42:56 am »

FRACTURE is more important to damage--reaching FRACTURE leads to "tearing" while YIELD leads to bruising (if vascular and elastic) or denting (if nonelastic).

I mean, I did explain exactly what they mean. That's not what they're supposed to mean, that's basically exact meaning. STRAIN_AT_YIELD being more-strain-is-higher should've meant lower-is-better, yeah. TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD (for example) of 10000 means that an object pulled apart to its YIELD limit will become twice as long in the process; COMPRESSIVE will become half the size, TORSION twist 2π radians, SHEAR means that two line segments in the cross section parallel to the shear vector of the sheared object1 that could formerly be connected end-to-end to make a rectangle would now make a parallelogram such that the top-left corner of the parallelogram forms a right triangle with the bottom right corner and the top right corner2, IMPACT is completely ignored when above 50000, I don't know exactly what it represents.

1I'M SORRY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO UNJARGON THIS
2 seriously there's probably a better way to say that

Ah, makes sense. This does foil my ideas for mitigating armor damage, though. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:47 am »

Elves are at peace with wildlife. Why do wild animals still rampage in their sites?

Why don't megabeasts breed in worldgen anymore? The last time I saw it happen was like 0.34, and semimegas still breed just fine.

Have you ever seen a male and female megabeast of the same species live in the same site with the total number of megabeasts in the world less than the starting cap for megabeast population? Because that can be pretty rare. I never even saw any megabeasts breed in 0.34.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 31, 2016, 12:40:07 pm »

Thank you. Actually, it answers to all my questions (or nearly). I'll edit my question.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 31, 2016, 02:04:16 pm »

Thanks for the answers! It's good to know what's going on.

I'm a bit confused about this, now;
Events that aren't seen by an escaping witness don't become common knowledge until a year later, I think, and are never passed around as rumors.
Does this mean that we can't really get away with theft/murder scot-free? People will always learn of what happened in time? How do we hide something, then?

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 31, 2016, 05:04:42 pm »

Elves are at peace with wildlife. Why do wild animals still rampage in their sites?

Why don't megabeasts breed in worldgen anymore? The last time I saw it happen was like 0.34, and semimegas still breed just fine.

Have you ever seen a male and female megabeast of the same species live in the same site with the total number of megabeasts in the world less than the starting cap for megabeast population? Because that can be pretty rare. I never even saw any megabeasts breed in 0.34.
I've had roc and hydra dynasties set up before in 43.05 worlds.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 31, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »

After the last interview noted DF has such details as interaction of the mucous tissues in eyelids on eyeballs, I finally came with some questions for FoF:

Was there ever some system of DF simulation that got later removed because on the second look it seemed to you "too much detailed"?
Which of the features currently in game is the biggest system that you see as "too much detailed, needs rework"?

I think things like economy don't qualify for the first question because it is still planned to be added back in some way.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 31, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »

I remember mention of a much more detailed genetics system that was to go into 0.31 that was postponed on account of possible mutiny.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 31, 2016, 10:33:53 pm »

Toady, thank you for answering and also I'm sorry if that came across as a suggestion rather than just my pure curiosity in the direction of your thinking.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 01, 2016, 12:19:08 am »

After the last interview noted DF has such details as interaction of the mucous tissues in eyelids on eyeballs, I finally came with some questions for FoF:

Was there ever some system of DF simulation that got later removed because on the second look it seemed to you "too much detailed"?
Which of the features currently in game is the biggest system that you see as "too much detailed, needs rework"?

I think things like economy don't qualify for the first question because it is still planned to be added back in some way.

Was that noble position introduced for a little bit, armsdwarf or quartermaster or something. Supposed to assign gear to militia members. Broken and buggy as all hell, so toady removed it and now militiadwarves just grab their own armor. Its simpler this way.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:04 am »

Was that noble position introduced for a little bit, armsdwarf or quartermaster or something. Supposed to assign gear to militia members. Broken and buggy as all hell, so toady removed it and now militiadwarves just grab their own armor. Its simpler this way.

Maybe there could be different kinds of bookkeepers, the one assigned to count military gear could be called the quartermaster.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 01, 2016, 02:33:15 pm »

Probably anything that gets removed is simply to be added at some unforeseen later date. It is the most ambitious game that's actually being made,™ after all. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 02, 2016, 03:57:06 am »

Why aren't hospitals included in the new locations system? When they are included, will "chief medical dwarf" become an occupation instead of a title? Are there going to be other occupations in the hospital?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 02, 2016, 05:40:01 pm »

Quote from: 90908
Toady will you, at any point, have apocalyptic events within the game? I'm talking invasions of Angels/demons, angry gods, natural disasters, plagues and so on. If you do in fact have plans for these, how do you think they will be implemented.

We're hoping to get some things along these lines with the myth release, including the end of the world entirely in certain settings.  It's completely unclear how it is going to play out though.

Now this has me excited.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 02, 2016, 07:36:12 pm »

Quote from: 90908
Toady will you, at any point, have apocalyptic events within the game? I'm talking invasions of Angels/demons, angry gods, natural disasters, plagues and so on. If you do in fact have plans for these, how do you think they will be implemented.

We're hoping to get some things along these lines with the myth release, including the end of the world entirely in certain settings.  It's completely unclear how it is going to play out though.

Now this has me excited.
I'm picturing an scenario where after your fort crumbles you can't play fortress mode anymore since your race/culture or all of them are dead as result of some apocalyptic event.
So you can only play as a adventurer/survivor amidst the ruins of what used to be the world. Scavenging and trying to get by with whatever you can, even maybe have an last quest to restore the world or scape the hell out of there into another dimension or world or something.
Out of control zombies and/or demons overrunning everything, catastrophic spells, apocalyptic wars, meteorites falling... all valid causes for regional or global ends of the world.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:41:10 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 211