Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406675 times)

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #570 on: September 11, 2016, 03:55:52 am »

When the fantasy level slider is in place do you have any plans to keep some sort of dangerous creatures deliberately attacking the fortress even at low fantasy levels?
Ie. High-moderate fantasy we have the titans, megabeasts, weres, etc. Will anything scary attack at low fantasy level? Giant (enraged?) creatures maybe?

The greatest monster of all is Man.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2016, 06:26:15 pm »

I know that fun stuff like sharks and whales are in game, but you'll only see them once in a blue moon.  After cracking open the caverns, water spawns drop to nil due to cavern critters spawning in such large packs.

-Can you please explain why land creature spawns are preferred over water creature spawns?

-Can you say off-hand how much work would be involved to make ocean/lake critters more frequent?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 13, 2016, 02:06:20 am »

I know that fun stuff like sharks and whales are in game, but you'll only see them once in a blue moon.  After cracking open the caverns, water spawns drop to nil due to cavern critters spawning in such large packs.

-Can you please explain why land creature spawns are preferred over water creature spawns?

-Can you say off-hand how much work would be involved to make ocean/lake critters more frequent?

It's only surface water creatures that are rare. Cavern ones are annoyingly common (annoying because they far too frequently decide to camp). Of course, the cavern ones are actually amphibious.
On the other hand, if you embark on a stream, you'll frequently find amphibious (water) creatures on embark, but once they've migrated away (or been killed, in the case of giant sponges), I don't think I've ever seen any return.

Jipopotamus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 13, 2016, 05:09:01 am »

Do people in Britain wear suntan lotion?

Kids do and adults are usually too stubborn to. This year I'm afraid to say I got sunburnt :(

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 13, 2016, 09:58:00 am »

How popular is the 64-bit version of Dwarf Fortress compared to the 32-bit version?

Sorry, if this type of question isn't allowed, please let me know, and I'll turn off the lime text.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 13, 2016, 10:24:44 am »

How popular is the 64-bit version of Dwarf Fortress compared to the 32-bit version?

Sorry, if this type of question isn't allowed, please let me know, and I'll turn off the lime text.
It think is quite valid and also interesting. Does Toady keeps track of the amount of downloads of each version? Given the trend of modern computing eventually having only a 64 bit version could become a reality. Way, way into the future anyway.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 13, 2016, 11:03:18 am »

It think is quite valid and also interesting. Does Toady keeps track of the amount of downloads of each version? Given the trend of modern computing eventually having only a 64 bit version could become a reality. Way, way into the future anyway.
If looking for statistics, why not the complete set, i.e. Linux and Mac versions as well (and any others, if there are any)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 13, 2016, 11:27:33 am »

If looking for statistics, why not the complete set, i.e. Linux and Mac versions as well (and any others, if there are any)?
Yes, please. It might be easier to provide raw download numbers, and it'd be nice to have the additional data.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 13, 2016, 06:01:51 pm »

That would more likely show 'do you use dfhack/noob packs' rather than any preference for 32 bit over 64 bit.

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 13, 2016, 07:31:27 pm »

That would more likely show 'do you use dfhack/noob packs' rather than any preference for 32 bit over 64 bit.

I know I use DFhack just because I need mouse support. Having to use the directional arrow to move a cursor every single time is murderously slow and I can't stand it - especially since I like to use 'k' and examine my stuff all the time.

Another question, but more speculative:

Aside Adventurer and Fortress modes, do you envision having any other modes to play the game in? Or would future additions just vary the content of those two? (playing as a monster in adventure, building a town in fortress) Asking very much in the 'what I think now' sense.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 13, 2016, 07:35:43 pm »

It was a very different audience, but I recently had to distribute software to about ninety people with a mix of personally-owned PCs and Macs; only one asked for the 32-bit version.  And I think that one was a 32-bit flavor of Vista on 64-bit hardware.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 13, 2016, 08:32:23 pm »

I know I use DFhack just because I need mouse support. Having to use the directional arrow to move a cursor every single time is murderously slow and I can't stand it - especially since I like to use 'k' and examine my stuff all the time.

Vanilla DF has mouse support. As long as the cursor's on screen, you can click and the cursor will move there.

In fact, the only reason DFHack has mouse support is because of DF's native mouse support.

It also has full mouse support in the military screen.

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 13, 2016, 11:23:43 pm »

Vanilla DF has mouse support. As long as the cursor's on screen, you can click and the cursor will move there.

In fact, the only reason DFHack has mouse support is because of DF's native mouse support.

It also has full mouse support in the military screen.

Vanilla, the mouse support only works for a few options though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2016, 06:25:12 pm »

Another question, but more speculative:

Aside Adventurer and Fortress modes, do you envision having any other modes to play the game in? Or would future additions just vary the content of those two? (playing as a monster in adventure, building a town in fortress) Asking very much in the 'what I think now' sense.

Yes, well kinda. It depends how much of a different mode you'd consider it. Technically, you can build a town now in Fort Mode, the systems to recognize it as such are just coming in slowly, but the whole guests and tavern thing is a start.

Beyond that, TodayOne and ThreeToe have talked about, being able to play as any historical figure from World Gen. Even if this is a Ruler, and just rule the country. From what I recall, this was being done in the frame work of adventure mode, but being a Ruler of a country  would imply a lot of different features that currently arent there for players yet. And that conversation didnt exclude historical figures, that happen to be monsters, but it was focus on none monsters.

And they have also talked about building up towns, starting up towns in Adventure Mode as well, in something discrete. Like you wouldnt jump to Fortress Mode to make your Adventurers town.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 14, 2016, 10:19:25 pm »

I was wondering,
  Are we going to see anything with creatures gaining intelligence, for example, dragons growing wiser/smarter with age, gods granting random creatures intelligence (probably for no good reason like everything else)?
Also
  Are we also going to see any "raised by X" scenarios and if so can that happen to the player before the start of adventure mode?
Hello I'm insane!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 211