Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411118 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #660 on: October 06, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »

Are Night Trolls in Fortress Mode planned? Things like Night Trolls invading fortresses to kidnap someone and such. Similarly, are Bogeymen planned to appear in Fortress Mode? Would they torment children and such, as they do in folklore?

You can already find night trolls in native DF fortress mode in cave sites that you embark ontop, technically you can find caves by editing files to make them show up on embark map. They have their own little house there, and you can send in your troops to fight and slay them there, though be warned they are strong and may overpower your starting 7 if unprepared.

I guess your question is more applicative to night trolls travelling in a mode where it is always day. much the same in saying boogeymen couldn't pop up against a dwarf alone chopping wood in the dead of night during adventure mode and detection being slower for threats as simulated.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 06, 2016, 08:05:27 pm »

Are Night Trolls in Fortress Mode planned? Things like Night Trolls invading fortresses to kidnap someone and such. Similarly, are Bogeymen planned to appear in Fortress Mode? Would they torment children and such, as they do in folklore?

You can already find night trolls in native DF fortress mode in cave sites that you embark ontop, technically you can find caves by editing files to make them show up on embark map. They have their own little house there, and you can send in your troops to fight and slay them there, though be warned they are strong and may overpower your starting 7 if unprepared.

I guess your question is more applicative to night trolls travelling in a mode where it is always day. much the same in saying boogeymen couldn't pop up against a dwarf alone chopping wood in the dead of night during adventure mode and detection being slower for threats as simulated.

I did a suggestion about this in the Suggestion Board waaay back in the day. Even if there isn't day/night cycle in fortress mode you could infer it is abstracted. After all, there is already night creatures attacks (Werecreatures) and there is already a similar mechanic to the night trolls abduction (Goblins kidnappers).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 07, 2016, 08:48:45 am »

Talking of ruined libraries, does this mean that libraries will actually be ruined in the next version? Generally a ruined fortress at the moment will contain a perfectly non-ruined library (and trading post) while a browse of Legends shows that scholars have continued to take up positions at the library for hundreds of years after a forgotten beast trashed the rest of the place.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 07, 2016, 06:18:37 pm »

Two related questions for toady

> Since you mentioned servant races being 'created to your liking' would that interpretively mean that zombies become re-classified as 'servants' rather than pure products of magical ability, and domestically around the necromancers tower would fulfill the usual duties of where the servant races would suffice? Summoning servants to all descriptions out of corpses sounds like a very convenient way of creating labour, especially since they are utmost loyal rather if rather dim than having thinking minds like intelligent beings.

and

> Would you consider slaves and servants to be within the same vein gameplay wise or differently? Abstract to magic, the slavery system would sound similar to a house-keeping wizards setup traditionally (to which in some respects wizard servants and regular slaves are the same made and obtained by different means) as to say if your civ approved it, you would have a flow of forced worker "servants" to obtain, and a warm-up to the more elaborated wizard servants in gameplay (which as you have mentioned is a little way off with all the customisation quirks to sort out yet.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:04:55 am by FantasticDorf »

Unknown-Figure1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 08, 2016, 12:40:15 pm »

The next release seems promising.

With the artifact quests that are sure to appear in the next release, will our adventurers be able to simply kill the quest-giver and keep the artifact(s) they find for themselves? I want my thug characters to accumulate as much shit as possible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:46:42 pm by Unknown-Figure1 »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 08, 2016, 10:59:24 pm »

With the artifact quests that are sure to appear in the next release, will our adventurers be able to simply kill the quest-giver and keep the artifact(s) they find for themselves? I want my thug characters to accumulate as much shit as possible.
I mean you could always just not give the artifact to them in the first place which would be less likely to have negative consequences. So in addition: is there any reason to actually give artifacts to questgivers and not just keep them?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 09, 2016, 03:29:29 am »

If an npc on an artifact quest gets the artifact but then is unable to complete the journey (because some wandering psychopath killed the quest-giver) do they hang on to it, or deliver it to someone else (family member or something)?

If they hang on to it and then later come to visit your fortress, will irate armies turn up demanding that you hand it over? Would that depend on the visitor's status (resident, citizen, etc) or would the artifact being in your location cause your site to become the current 'owner'?

And one more:

Can multiple quest-givers assign the same quest to various npcs/player adventurers? Will this result in massive fights in towns as npcs all try to be the one to return the artifact?

Oh, and:

Following on from the previous poster's thoughts, will npcs ever decide just to keep the artifact for themselves instead of returning it?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 03:36:25 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 09, 2016, 03:39:17 am »

I mean you could always just not give the artifact to them in the first place which would be less likely to have negative consequences. So in addition: is there any reason to actually give artifacts to questgivers and not just keep them?
You wouldn't gain any reputation if you didn't complete the quest. And that's pretty much the only point to quests right now.

Also (at least before magic is introduced) most of the artifacts will be worthless (practically speaking) junk (like a lot of fortress mode artifacts).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 11, 2016, 11:18:58 pm »

Misc item user is actually pretty harsh, even OP, when using artifacts, or at least it used to be. Not as super as when histfig migrants first became a thing, and came dressed like Mr. T, but still pretty strong.

Adding magic effects could be quite entertaining.  That brings up an interesting question though..

Since magic is going to be based on spheres of influence, it can possibly make deities a more active force in the world besides just random curses for vandalism and profanination. Are there any plans for special moods for priest caste dwarves in fortress mode? It would be an obvious mechanic to get sphere aligned artifacts, where type of artifact would not be tied to the dwarf's skill base, but wholly on the alignment axis system, so that eg, a god of music worshiper would produce divinely empowered instruments, if they are completely devoted to worship.  Currently, a dwarf selects an object class based on skill set, which determines which kind of workshop they claim.  A new kind of mood, say "holy work", for dwarves with severe skill rust, and high experience in temple disciplines (suggesting dedicated priest position) could produce magical artifacts, without training a craft skill to legendary, (similar to " fey" mood), and allow proper object alignment and type based on deity.  This could be made a little more interesting by weighing dwarf character traits, and some other features (like current emotional state) to influence and refine object type creation from the short list if sphere aligned objects and possible magical effects.  The need for extensive skill rust, and high temple activity would make this a very rare mood type, which limits abuse. Do you have any plans for such a thing, and if not, what do you have in mind there?

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 12, 2016, 03:15:52 am »

Misc item user is actually pretty harsh, even OP, when using artifacts, or at least it used to be. Not as super as when histfig migrants first became a thing, and came dressed like Mr. T, but still pretty strong.

Adding magic effects could be quite entertaining.  That brings up an interesting question though..

Since magic is going to be based on spheres of influence, it can possibly make deities a more active force in the world besides just random curses for vandalism and profanination. Are there any plans for special moods for priest caste dwarves in fortress mode? It would be an obvious mechanic to get sphere aligned artifacts, where type of artifact would not be tied to the dwarf's skill base, but wholly on the alignment axis system, so that eg, a god of music worshiper would produce divinely empowered instruments, if they are completely devoted to worship.  Currently, a dwarf selects an object class based on skill set, which determines which kind of workshop they claim.  A new kind of mood, say "holy work", for dwarves with severe skill rust, and high experience in temple disciplines (suggesting dedicated priest position) could produce magical artifacts, without training a craft skill to legendary, (similar to " fey" mood), and allow proper object alignment and type based on deity.  This could be made a little more interesting by weighing dwarf character traits, and some other features (like current emotional state) to influence and refine object type creation from the short list if sphere aligned objects and possible magical effects.  The need for extensive skill rust, and high temple activity would make this a very rare mood type, which limits abuse. Do you have any plans for such a thing, and if not, what do you have in mind there?

Great question! I was wondering about priestly/noble classes functions with regards to spheres myself!
Looks like you beat me to the punch!
What advantage (if any) will spheres confer to nobility or priestly castes for example? And how will that affect civilisations?
Will we see a battle between state and clergy for the minds and souls of people? High politics? Religious law? Crusades? Will nobility be affected towards charity or cruelty, and therefore loved or hated?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 12, 2016, 05:18:29 am »

Will completely non-magical worlds also not have things like caverns or the magma sea?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 12, 2016, 07:43:51 am »

Wow... priest artifacts. That could be a really clever way to actually produce magical artifacts in world gen and during gameplay. I can't stop picturing the Staff of Zombification, the Panacea Tree, the Sword of Sight, the Stones of Resurrection, the Crown of Strength so on and so so..
Will completely non-magical worlds also not have things like caverns or the magma sea?
Don't see why not. They are not really magical. They would be devoid of fantastic creatures but they should be still there, being real geological formations.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:55:54 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 12, 2016, 09:05:25 am »

How will fortress mode remain challenging in a mundane world devoid of megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, werebeasts, good/evil areas, etc.? Is a mundane world intended to be a sort of casual/easy-mode version of dwarf fortress? The same goes for adventure mode, though not as much.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:12:01 am by Calidovi »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 12, 2016, 10:18:31 am »

Sounded like there was still the potential for a lot of inter and intranational conflict, and then there's always environmental hazards like lack of water or failing to provide food.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 13, 2016, 01:20:42 am »

How will fortress mode remain challenging in a mundane world devoid of megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, werebeasts, good/evil areas, etc.? Is a mundane world intended to be a sort of casual/easy-mode version of dwarf fortress? The same goes for adventure mode, though not as much.
You just have to look into our own world to answer your question
The slider of fantasy does only that, extract or add fantasy, it doesn't add dificulties. So the things you mention would get changed to diseases (black pest), economically-induced famines(once  farming and the economy aren'r broken, this'll be a serious problem), devastating wars, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 211