Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411201 times)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #780 on: October 25, 2016, 04:59:05 pm »

The "severed part flies off in an arc" mechanic could take on whole new significance, as a "chunk" several tiles wide flies off and crashes into something.

I expect it would be quite spectacular, and add new dangers to close combat.

Might take a few goes to get through something particularly dense like a cyclops's or bronze collossus's arm (even sperm whale men might be mighty tough, which begs the question would animalmen need a rework too?)

The bones would be MASSIVE, the arm comes crashing off

Yeah, all non 1-tile creatures should have bonus and animation for movements, be them movement or combat moves or wiggling tails. In 1 tile creatures, position and stances are calculated, thats why certain atacks to certain body parts are sometimes easier, but with multitiles creatures, you may have to be positioned in a certain spot to atack it, or to any action in general(mounting a horse, for example)
The whole thing opens looots of new content and things to consider.
Scaling strenghth with size would make certain animals godlike
Animations, timing atacks, reducing size of a body part with atacks without completely severing, etc.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 25, 2016, 05:18:13 pm »

I think falling impacts are still kind of weird.
Logs falling from multiple z-levels note in the the reports "there is no force", but cave-ins decimate dwarves even from one z level under.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 25, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »

I think falling impacts are still kind of weird.
Logs falling from multiple z-levels note in the the reports "there is no force", but cave-ins decimate dwarves even from one z level under.

Well, yeah, all the phisycs could use a little rehaul, thats why we have ways to obtain infinite energy in the game, for example

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 25, 2016, 07:02:19 pm »

Water reactors aside, infinite energy sources, be they geo, hydro, solar, wind or magic aren't much of a problem in the timescale of DF, and are something of a staple.

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 26, 2016, 05:35:36 am »

Multi-tile creatures sound very awkward to me, how would they be represented? Would it be restrictive to modders? would larger creatures simply take up two or four tiles instead of one?

Is there even really a reason for it?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 26, 2016, 06:51:02 am »

Multi-tile creatures sound very awkward to me, how would they be represented? Would it be restrictive to modders? would larger creatures simply take up two or four tiles instead of one?

Like many of the things Toady wants to add, its a combination of ''this is neat and realistic'' and '' its fricking cool''

We were discussing how would they appear in the game before. Some think that a big animal would be represented using its simbol for each animal part, and Some (like me) are more fond of using different simbols for each body part.
I figure it would be a really big expansion to modders, as you could create bigger and more tangible body parts, like for example, an actual empty stomach were you fall after a dragon devours you (if he doesnt rip you apart, of course) that consists of real space were you can walk on, and designate certain acids to be produced non-stop, inside the belly, things awesome in that line

What do you know, the last part is actually an expected feature
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Consolidated_development
Look on powergoal number 89
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:58:44 am by Rubik »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 26, 2016, 07:26:44 am »

Its pretty far off as of the moment, the zach brothers had a prototype model for it if my memory serves.

Everything functionally works at the moment with single tile, and even having height represented via the same icon on 2 z levels for shared space will  probably technical wise be as radical as it goes until something is sorted out properly. Still yet to be decided and realised.

Question for toady - I've been going over some of the stories detailed in the ASCII rewards section, all very interesting since they dont appear to be mentioned very much in df discussion/questions, i've noticed that particularly it mentions giant 'magical' eggs, hatching with relation to gods and pet ownership issues - Providing the magical effects (In a press conference a egg was described as a magic object not so long ago) are not varied would this imply that primordial beasts/forgotten beasts/resulting hatchlings could be a creation myth/magical object manifestable event and claimed (or summarily let loose/tamed) by a civilisation as a artifact object/posession?

Another quick small question for toady - Also across the ASCII rewards, both Japa's apemen and Gunslinger's night creature minions are based theoretical examples of transformative or using existing creatures as a seemingly literal base to create 'wizard' or magic servants, do all servants require living being to create or can they make them purely out of magic processes/inanimate reagents

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 26, 2016, 10:43:22 am »

If I recall the bigger challenge with multitile creation is AI. Its very hard to make them appreciate their own size, and where they can or can't transverse. The brothers Tarn dont want to introduce dragons, have them trying to pass into a 1 tile wide area, and get poked to death with arrows as it wont consider to fucking go away.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:03 am »

If I recall the bigger challenge with multitile creation is AI. Its very hard to make them appreciate their own size, and where they can or can't transverse. The brothers Tarn dont want to introduce dragons, have them trying to pass into a 1 tile wide area, and get poked to death with arrows as it wont consider to fucking go away.

Or shock and horror make a horrible amount of FPS lag as it tries to path into your fort until the game dies.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 26, 2016, 05:32:34 pm »

Or most hilariously of all: it does make it into the 1 tile wide area, partially, stripping off the limbs and such, causing it to die afterwards.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 26, 2016, 06:47:26 pm »

Or most hilariously of all: it does make it into the 1 tile wide area, partially, stripping off the limbs and such, causing it to die afterwards.
"I can't believe I did that!  Serious facepalm moment there... Oh dammit I can't even facepalm!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 26, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »

That should depend on the creature type, no?

Giant octopus, for instance, can fit through any gap the size of its beak.  It could squeeze down your hallways and extend a tentacle down a corner hallway. Possibly several.

At once.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 26, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »

bronze colossus = kool aid man

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 27, 2016, 01:50:16 am »

That should depend on the creature type, no?

Giant octopus, for instance, can fit through any gap the size of its beak.  It could squeeze down your hallways and extend a tentacle down a corner hallway. Possibly several.

At once.

bronze colossus = kool aid man

Well that's pretty scary

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:24 am »

Just need crystal glass dense skin and fruit juice blood now i guess.

Thinking about it, if it was a material property factor as well, dark towers made out of slade would be the utmost safest place to hide because they are unmovable spare structurally taking it apart laboriously piece by piece, if a bronze collossus kicked it at full force it'd probably disjoint its leg.

Also if clowns are towering monstrosities (in which case the circus will have to be reworked) then either by the application of magic to change domestic or just map changes, they probably shouldn't actually fit in the top of dark towers, and they'd be pretty scary and towering over fortresses they are trying to invade. (Good question, how are 2 tile high creatures supposed to get up/down stairs without colliding with the stairs above?)
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 211