Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411179 times)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #810 on: October 31, 2016, 05:38:12 am »

I feel like I've asked this before, but can't recall getting an answer or not. In legends/asking about yourself it lists rumored/known protector of the weak and being told about you challenging various bandits/killing them/etc, but I've yet to see if this exhibits progression like hero/hunter/performer. Is there a great/legendary/famous/anything progression for "Protector of the Weak" fame?
Thinking about it, if it was a material property factor as well, dark towers made out of slade would be the utmost safest place to hide because they are unmovable spare structurally taking it apart laboriously piece by piece, if a bronze collossus kicked it at full force it'd probably disjoint its leg.
Spoiler: Piece by piece eh? (click to show/hide)
Bwahahaha, fear me, for I am Daturtharnas!
What did you even do?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 31, 2016, 06:05:18 am »

I feel like I've asked this before, but can't recall getting an answer or not. In legends/asking about yourself it lists rumored/known protector of the weak and being told about you challenging various bandits/killing them/etc, but I've yet to see if this exhibits progression like hero/hunter/performer. Is there a great/legendary/famous/anything progression for "Protector of the Weak" fame?
Thinking about it, if it was a material property factor as well, dark towers made out of slade would be the utmost safest place to hide because they are unmovable spare structurally taking it apart laboriously piece by piece, if a bronze collossus kicked it at full force it'd probably disjoint its leg.
What did you even do?

I think he used a bug with player-made camps that lets you deconstruct world-made constructions
You can literally drop a whole fortress on top of the demon master in the last floor with that

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:39 am »

Hey Toady, great work with the artifact update, you are going really quick with the development.
Could I ask some questions for me and some friends?

1.How much time do you spend working on DF each day?
2.I know its not something we can expect in a short (or medium)time, but we've been discussing Multi-tile creatures and I was wondering if with the fact that each body part, if big enough, ocupies several tiles, the modders could define each part (each full tile of 2x3x3) of that body part with different stuff (place certain organs in the lower part and other organs in the bigger part, or have complete tiles representing an organ, if they are proportionate), this could be very interesting as to make the game more realistic, as you could ''zoom in'' to represent parts of the body that get abstracted in the smaller version of those creatures
And yeah, this came to mind when I was thinking about making hollow creatures (yeah, as the cool-aid man) to transport small people at a greater speed, just by being inside the creature

3.How's Scamps doing?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 31, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »

2.I know its not something we can expect in a short (or medium)time, but we've been discussing Multi-tile creatures and I was wondering if with the fact that each body part, if big enough, ocupies several tiles, the modders could define each part (each full tile of 2x3x3) of that body part with different stuff (place certain organs in the lower part and other organs in the bigger part, or have complete tiles representing an organ, if they are proportionate), this could be very interesting as to make the game more realistic, as you could ''zoom in'' to represent parts of the body that get abstracted in the smaller version of those creatures
And yeah, this came to mind when I was thinking about making hollow creatures (yeah, as the cool-aid man) to transport small people at a greater speed, just by being inside the creature
I'm all for more shape data in DF, but I don't think defining creatures tile-by-tile is the answer.  The reason is that creatures vary in size (not to mention yungins growing up), and along several dimensions.  A large quadruped with long limbs might be a full tile taller than the average for its kind.  And someone might slap a giant creature variation on just about anything, and it'd be nice if it just worked.  Conversely, some future version of DF might slice locations into tenths-of-tiles or whatever, and it'd be nice if the same system for ginormous beasts also applied to zoomed-in medium beasts.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 31, 2016, 01:27:09 pm »

What did you even do?

I think he used a bug with player-made camps that lets you deconstruct world-made constructions
You can literally drop a whole fortress on top of the demon master in the last floor with that
More specifically you can stand on a magma flow (after dropping water on it so you aren't swimming) or stand in hell and build a camp/deconstruct existing structures.

Incidentally I used dfhack to test some of the title stuff, it seems like it is tuned pretty far out, telling people about dozens of bandit kills/fights/stopped robberies only gets a few points of reputation, setting it to 100 got me known as a

I'll probably get around to writing a fame changer script, maybe see if I can fold it into gm-unit, once dfhack is fully caught up.

Are there going to be more fame types like Treasure Hunter and Thief, for legit and dishonest acquisition of artifacts?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 31, 2016, 02:53:27 pm »

I'm all for more shape data in DF, but I don't think defining creatures tile-by-tile is the answer.  The reason is that creatures vary in size (not to mention yungins growing up), and along several dimensions.  A large quadruped with long limbs might be a full tile taller than the average for its kind.  And someone might slap a giant creature variation on just about anything, and it'd be nice if it just worked.  Conversely, some future version of DF might slice locations into tenths-of-tiles or whatever, and it'd be nice if the same system for ginormous beasts also applied to zoomed-in medium beasts.

You gotta understand me. I'd love to be able to decide in tenths of a tile what does an animal have in its chest, but I also like the idea of tunneling through tiles of flesh inside a creature's belly, in semi-complet darkness, just to make my way up to the torso and pierce his heart with my artifact sword
I like your Idea, really, and I'd to have thought of it myself, but I think growing and changing size in tiles is something we can think through, and solve

CLF3FTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 31, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »

Part Question, Part suggestion. If you to improve this, try making a new suggestion thread for it.
so, Toady, Why did you make dragonfire deadlier? It makes it less fun, because you used to have a few turns while bleeding to death to fight the dragon. now if you get hit by the dragonfire, you instantly evaporate. This is neither fun nor !!FUN!!. could you please make it so the dragonfire is as hot as it used to be, but also affects hit shields. It's ridiculous that wooden shields still block dragonfire. nether-cap shields should be made useful for fighting a dragon, as it itself will cool you off.

Wouldn't having the dragonfire not make creatures go poof, while also effecting shields that block it like other items (which basically went poof by themselves even before the change), be just as bad as going poof in the first place? As anything but a fixed-temp shield would just melt/evaporate in your hand and mean death.

I understand having dragonfire blockable by wooden shields is kinda wonky, but dragons would just = death without some way of countering the breath attack. At least for the moment, before the artifact/magic stuff is fleshed out and all that.
But wouldn't adamantium be able to still block it? and if Dragon fire is un-buffed, then iron and steel can still block it(although in real life, steel armor + heat = more heat).
Not to mention Nether-cap would be great, as it would make you cooler as well, so the dragonfire has less of an effect. If a deep-elf were wearing full Nether-cap armor, but no shield, wouldn't he be invincible(from heat, as least)?
Actually dragonfire is hot enough to boil adamantine.
Realistically dragonfire is hot enough to start nuclear fusion and would probably turn the planet into a tiny star. At least until it ran out of fuel because there's not nearly enough easily fusable materials on Earth or an Earth-like planet to support being a star for very long. Toady went really overboard on the mythical materials. Adamantine pretty much breaking the laws of physics with how rigid and sharp it is, slade being denser than the core of the sun, and dragonfire being hotter than the surface of the sun (though not the core of the sun that's still far hotter).

50,000 degrees in any widely used temperature system or DF's units is not anywhere close enough to the temperatures required to start nuclear fusion. For that to happen, it would have to be millions of degrees. Dragonfire would be about the same temperature as lightning, so considering the fact that they are dragons, it is a fairly reasonable temperature.

CLF3FTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 31, 2016, 11:07:09 pm »

Are there any plans for you to be able to recruit adventurers in fortress mode to steal artifacts from other sites (or do other things, such as spying on other civs and assassinating people)? Would you be able to "hire" people by giving them weapons/lodgings/books of a certain quality?

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 01, 2016, 04:30:45 am »

Such as now DF has 64x bit version, will you use special optimization for this?
And other question, do you use something like PVS Studio or  CppCat, Cppcheck? A lot of old bugs look like things that good static analizator can easily find.
Another incorrect question:
You are in a hurry when added to the destruction of clothing and armor? It looks as if there oceans of crashes.
And, normal question!
How will game observe gain of skills artefact-hunters? Lara Croft shouldn't be peasant, i think.

sorry for the stupid questions

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #819 on: November 01, 2016, 09:56:37 am »

The next release seems promising.

With the artifact quests that are sure to appear in the next release, will our adventurers be able to simply kill the quest-giver and keep the artifact(s) they find for themselves? I want my thug characters to accumulate as much shit as possible.
I mean you could always just not give the artifact to them in the first place which would be less likely to have negative consequences. So in addition: is there any reason to actually give artifacts to questgivers and not just keep them?
You wouldn't gain any reputation if you didn't complete the quest. And that's pretty much the only point to quests right now.

Also (at least before magic is introduced) most of the artifacts will be worthless (practically speaking) junk (like a lot of fortress mode artifacts).

I imagine keeping said artifact would result in adventures hunting you down and forcefully taking the artifact from you since they know.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #820 on: November 01, 2016, 10:07:17 am »

Hmmm, from my various methods for getting to screw around with construction in sites that don't have the usual ambush interruptions I've advanced a few worlds across an entire game year in adventure mode which is much closer to the initial-two-weeks calendar progression world activation. Sites being founded, sites being sacked, conquered, pillaged, all sorts of stuff happening. How large are the worlds you're talking about and how many civs are involved?

This is my experience aswell, world activation seems to work pretty well in my usual medium islands/regions IMO , given that it isn't finished yet, I expect toady to continue to work out the issues it does have (night creatures, not reproducing themselves, megabeasts not attacking other sites etc)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 01, 2016, 10:29:35 am »

I imagine keeping said artifact would result in adventures hunting you down and forcefully taking the artifact from you since they know.
"That hatch cover made of tin with the bands of cat bone and spikes of pine... I MUST HAVE IT! Oh wait, it has a picture of a kea on it, nevermind."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 01, 2016, 01:22:35 pm »

this is how I think that modding sites could work
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 01, 2016, 01:29:33 pm »

A bit suggestiony Imic but i like the overall message

Might a more structurally neat question be to rephrase it as "Toady, do you have any thoughts behind perhaps allowing modders to alter towns in different ways such as either buildings or even the material those buildings are made out of?"

Also [colour:limegreen] please.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 01, 2016, 02:58:26 pm »

A bit suggestiony Imic but i like the overall message

Might a more structurally neat question be to rephrase it as "Toady, do you have any thoughts behind perhaps allowing modders to alter towns in different ways such as either buildings or even the material those buildings are made out of?"

Also [colour:limegreen] please.
Sorry 'bout that.
I have already said that, it's just that the mechanics of it came to me quite recently, while I was going for a walk near the woods.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 211