Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406445 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #960 on: November 22, 2016, 08:02:30 pm »

Okay, how did this thread go from asking questions about DF's development to the density of slade and stars?

The power of !!SCIENCE!! compels you.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:49 pm »

Alright, perfect logic.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 22, 2016, 08:52:12 pm »

Well, once there is ability to make portals to other worlds, you can strip-mine slade in them to concentrate it into one world.

@Asin
Time dilation? Refusing to turn the page on the calendar?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 27, 2016, 12:33:23 am »

Will people seeking artifacts react different ways when they see an adventurer with said artifact based on their personality? Does respect for the law increase the chances someone will try to demand it over whether they'd barter for it? Are reactions usually positive or do some fellow questers see high reputation as an artifact finder as threatening?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 27, 2016, 10:44:34 am »

Will people seeking artifacts react different ways when they see an adventurer with said artifact based on their personality? Does respect for the law increase the chances someone will try to demand it over whether they'd barter for it? Are reactions usually positive or do some fellow questers see high reputation as an artifact finder as threatening?

Toady said something about this in the last Current development post:

The current project is handling 'encounters' of people that have an interest in an artifact with people that are holding the same artifact. So if you are a questing adventurer bringing an artifact back to a location, for instance, you might run into other questers, guards, or entity representatives before or during your return, and they should react in some way or another without waiting for you to initiate everything. This might be as simple as you riding a wave of praise back to wherever the artifact needs to go, or it might turn out quite differently if you aren't trusted. The wave of praise should also turn sour if you turn out not to be taking the artifact where they think you are -- but it'll have to give you some wiggle room as well... so we're trying to sort that kind of thing out.

Presumably, by what he said, people will have different reactions to you having a lost artifact with you. And the only logical way to make that unique for each person is rlying on personality
At least that's my guess

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 27, 2016, 10:55:04 am »

Toady said something about this in the last Current development post:

The current project is handling 'encounters' of people that have an interest in an artifact with people that are holding the same artifact. So if you are a questing adventurer bringing an artifact back to a location, for instance, you might run into other questers, guards, or entity representatives before or during your return, and they should react in some way or another without waiting for you to initiate everything. This might be as simple as you riding a wave of praise back to wherever the artifact needs to go, or it might turn out quite differently if you aren't trusted. The wave of praise should also turn sour if you turn out not to be taking the artifact where they think you are -- but it'll have to give you some wiggle room as well... so we're trying to sort that kind of thing out.

Presumably, by what he said, people will have different reactions to you having a lost artifact with you. And the only logical way to make that unique for each person is rlying on personality
At least that's my guess
Well, I'd use the entity the interested party belongs to as the base and then apply personality (which is probably what you meant). A couple of other factors could come into play as well, such as faction sub group (peasant, or heavily armed battle scarred veteran?), interest in the claim ("pfah: it's just for the nobles to gawk on anyway" vs "the Holy PigTail Sock!!!!") and personal ambitions (if I return the item *I/WE* get the fame/reward).

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 27, 2016, 01:23:38 pm »

Are there any future plans to revise how the game handles food? Namely, to increase food consumption per job or to allow organics to rot even in stockpiles?

Currently, any fort not situated on a haunted glacier has almost immediate access to unlimited sources of food, making obtaining it a trivial matter, not a challenge it historically was. Furthermore, considering the yields of those jobs and the amount of food one dwarf consumes on average per month (which is just two units somehow), any dwarf fortress quickly devolves into a gigantic stockpile of overpriced exotic cuisine that, you can be absolutely sure, will never be used up naturally (and selling it I've personally come to consider an exploit on par with danger rooms and the like). Because, it's not like there's any benefit not to process raw food - it doesn't spoil either way. And, following the game logic, if one prepared meal is worth two weeks of sustenance, that's a tremendous amount of chow. At least that explains its price I guess...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:42 pm »

Are there any future plans to revise how the game handles food? Namely, to increase food consumption per job or to allow organics to rot even in stockpiles?

Currently, any fort not situated on a haunted glacier has almost immediate access to unlimited sources of food, making obtaining it a trivial matter, not a challenge it historically was. Furthermore, considering the yields of those jobs and the amount of food one dwarf consumes on average per month (which is just two units somehow), any dwarf fortress quickly devolves into a gigantic stockpile of overpriced exotic cuisine that, you can be absolutely sure, will never be used up naturally (and selling it I've personally come to consider an exploit on par with danger rooms and the like). Because, it's not like there's any benefit not to process raw food - it doesn't spoil either way. And, following the game logic, if one prepared meal is worth two weeks of sustenance, that's a tremendous amount of chow. At least that explains its price I guess...
Toady has mentioned that we're currently at "peak food" but that things should move toward more of a challenge in the future.  He seemed to be hinting that consumption would go up and/or get vaguely nutrition-based so that at least the fort needs to provide some variety.  My guess is that plump helmets will remain a (poor) universal foodstuff.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 28, 2016, 04:38:36 am »

I think that food system will be rewritten as a prelude to the economy arc (as it is, most villages are based on food production). So it will be likely to stay as it is for a long time.

I think that the slowed progress from Toady for the last 2 months (except from the conferences) has been caused by the complexity of Artifacts handling. All of this is based on "reactions". How will an observator understand what he is seeing ? And based on which knowledge ? If someone is seeing you with an artifact there are so many possibilities and interpretations that it will be very hard to create a good system.

But when it will be done, it will be surely very interesting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:52:59 am by Inarius »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 28, 2016, 07:17:45 am »

1: The mason Cilob Udilkodor: Is that an artifact in your pocket?

What will you say?
Enter: Select, -+/*: Scroll

State opinion that it must be stopped with violent force.
State opinion that it is not your problem
State opinion that it was inevitable
State opinion that it is terrifying
State that you don't know anything about it
State that it is for the best
State that you don't care
State opinion that it is sad but not unexpected
State opinion that it is terrible
State that it is terrific

State that you're just happy to see them
Change the subject (new menu)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 28, 2016, 08:27:49 am »

Funny.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #971 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:49 pm »

1: The mason Cilob Udilkodor: Is that an artifact in your pocket?

What will you say?
Enter: Select, -+/*: Scroll

State opinion that it must be stopped with violent force.
State opinion that it is not your problem
State opinion that it was inevitable
State opinion that it is terrifying
State that you don't know anything about it
State that it is for the best
State that you don't care
State opinion that it is sad but not unexpected
State opinion that it is terrible
State that it is terrific

State that you're just happy to see them
Change the subject (new menu)

"Is that a shortsword in your pocket, or are you-"
"It was inevitable."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:48 am »

Do you plan to have sentient or sub-sentient creatures have certain disorders assigned at birth? If so, will you limit them to physical, mental or both?
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 29, 2016, 09:48:24 am »

Do you plan to have sentient or sub-sentient creatures have certain disorders assigned at birth? If so, will you limit them to physical, mental or both?

Did I miss a devlog?  I thought he was working on artifacts and having NPCs react naturally to artifact holders whose artifact they care about.

Just looked at the dev page, and it doesn't look like disorders are in the current pipeline.  If you have ideas on how to do them, post them in the suggestion forum.  If you just want to hear Toady wax eloquent about it, he might have said something in the DF Talks.  There should be a transcript around.  The most he normally says in these threads about this sort of thing is "sounds good, no timeline".  Things like "blind" and "lame" and "crazy, but not debilitated", probably should show up during the magic release.  So, it looks like, should "possessed by demons".  All these should probably be targets of magic to both be caused and to be healed.  So, maybe ask again when he gets to the magic release, which looks like it should be the next feature release.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 29, 2016, 10:07:14 am »

how long are you going to make 32 bit compatible versions? I ask because my computer is 32 bit, and I'm hoping I won't have to stop using new versions anytime soon.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 211