Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406894 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #975 on: November 29, 2016, 11:54:47 am »

how long are you going to make 32 bit compatible versions? I ask because my computer is 32 bit, and I'm hoping I won't have to stop using new versions anytime soon.
Hey, when was support dropped for 16-bit versions?  8)

There's no particular reason to drop 32-bit support in the near future, since keeping the game multi-platform really cuts down on the kind of hardware-specific assumptions Toady could make anyway.  The real issue is that 32-bit machines take a performance hit at lower levels of disk/memory/CPU use than 64-bit machines.  I suspect that 32-bit will be dropped when performance on those machines becomes too bad to be worth playing, long before DF develops any technical need for 64-bit.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:33 am »

how long are you going to make 32 bit compatible versions? I ask because my computer is 32 bit, and I'm hoping I won't have to stop using new versions anytime soon.

Seconding this concern. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 29, 2016, 01:27:28 pm »

The version that drops 32-bit support will also feature the return, with a vengeance, of the Giant Desert Scorpion.  It will feature multi-tile giant-desert scorpions who are themselves giant deserts and home to regular sized giant-desert scorpions.  Players will be able to tame the giant desert giant desert scorpions (GDGDSs) and turn them in to mobile fortresses.  A hilarious anecdote from testing will describe how toady sent a force off map with one of these to assault a dark tower and it returned as a Giant Slade Scorpion with Adamantine venom.  There will be so much sorrow about his fixing that bug that somebody will figure out how to mod it back in.  Instead of setting up chained giant cave spiders to shoot webs at hapless critters, forts will set up kill chambers to allow the Giant Slade Scorpions to inject their victims as many times as possible.  Then, upon death, the venom will be extracted as adamantine strands.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 29, 2016, 01:45:36 pm »

I think that food system will be rewritten as a prelude to the economy arc (as it is, most villages are based on food production). So it will be likely to stay as it is for a long time.

I think that the slowed progress from Toady for the last 2 months (except from the conferences) has been caused by the complexity of Artifacts handling. All of this is based on "reactions". How will an observator understand what he is seeing ? And based on which knowledge ? If someone is seeing you with an artifact there are so many possibilities and interpretations that it will be very hard to create a good system.

But when it will be done, it will be surely very interesting.

I think its great that he spends the needed ammount of time on that. Its an important and complex mechanic that will be used a lot in the future, so he does the right thing in spending time carefully designing it
Its something like the combat system. Yeah, it has aged a lot from previous versions(the most recent stuff being force translation), and we definitely want it to get more complex and interesting, but the whole premise must've been the result of spending a lot of time thinking about it, so it works right and can expand and get more complex in the future without problems
I don't know, when he takes so much time on an update, I like to think that he is spending the extra time to make it better

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 29, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »

The version that drops 32-bit support will also feature the return, with a vengeance, of the Giant Desert Scorpion.  It will feature multi-tile giant-desert scorpions who are themselves giant deserts and home to regular sized giant-desert scorpions.  Players will be able to tame the giant desert giant desert scorpions (GDGDSs) and turn them in to mobile fortresses.  A hilarious anecdote from testing will describe how toady sent a force off map with one of these to assault a dark tower and it returned as a Giant Slade Scorpion with Adamantine venom.  There will be so much sorrow about his fixing that bug that somebody will figure out how to mod it back in.  Instead of setting up chained giant cave spiders to shoot webs at hapless critters, forts will set up kill chambers to allow the Giant Slade Scorpions to inject their victims as many times as possible.  Then, upon death, the venom will be extracted as adamantine strands.

That was a very imaginative speech, just to say that the 32 bit version wont be abandoned in a long time
Are you smoking something?pass itAre you ok, Rockphed?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 29, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »

That was a very imaginative speech, just to say that the 32 bit version wont be abandoned in a long time

As okay as ever.  It mostly flowed out of my, probably false, memory that Random Dragon spent a bit of time blasting the forums at every possible venture lobbying for the return of the GDS.  From there it just took life and flew.

Now I want to figure out how to mod in a Giant Slade Scorpion that injects its victims full of harvestable adamantine strands.  I think the harvestable part is the real tripping point.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 29, 2016, 02:17:25 pm »

As okay as ever.  It mostly flowed out of my, probably false, memory that Random Dragon spent a bit of time blasting the forums at every possible venture lobbying for the return of the GDS.  From there it just took life and flew.

Now I want to figure out how to mod in a Giant Slade Scorpion that injects its victims full of harvestable adamantine strands.  I think the harvestable part is the real tripping point.

My bad, I had completely forgotten his rants about it
Actually, stuff like that is what I was talking before about bettering the combat/reactions system, Imagine if what you injected in people was actually a reageant that you could use when designing interactions, we could make you inject adamantine liquid onto someone, and '' produce '' adamantine strands that way
Multitile GSS, sounds like something that will fill my nightmarish dreams about DF from now on

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #982 on: November 29, 2016, 06:10:14 pm »

Are there plans for player-lords in adventure mode to send our subordinates on missions to retrieve the "grand holy artifact sock of cheese , heirloom of the DragonBeer clan" in the near future alongside the AI lords?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 29, 2016, 09:38:49 pm »

1. Speaking of player-lords as Untrustedlife said, will player-lords be able to influence the laws and such of a civilization if they are in control of the capital eventually?

2. Will it be possible for hamlets and towns/forest retreats/fortresses and hillocks/dark pits and dark fortresses to, if they do not particularly like the laws of their civilization, leave the civ and start their own?

3. Back to player-lords again, will player-lords be able to make a site leave like question 2 says?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:40:28 pm by Asin »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 29, 2016, 10:18:57 pm »

1. Speaking of player-lords as Untrustedlife said, will player-lords be able to influence the laws and such of a civilization if they are in control of the capital eventually?

2. Will it be possible for hamlets and towns/forest retreats/fortresses and hillocks/dark pits and dark fortresses to, if they do not particularly like the laws of their civilization, leave the civ and start their own?

3. Back to player-lords again, will player-lords be able to make a site leave like question 2 says?

We all like Toady a lot, but if he starts assigning lords over players, I might have to start looking at playing a different game. :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 29, 2016, 10:43:07 pm »

A player-lord is like a player who conquered a hamlet or other site in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:44:46 pm by Asin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 29, 2016, 11:32:21 pm »

Wouldn't that be a "Lord player", not a player-lord?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 29, 2016, 11:33:25 pm »

No, "lord" as a descriptor usually goes after stuff. "Vassal lord" means "lords who are vassals", for example.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 29, 2016, 11:44:41 pm »

Axe-lord implies lord of axes.

Lord axe implies an axe that either is itself a Lord, or used by lords. (Or a lord with a first name of 'axe')

Vassal lord implies lording over vassals. Lord vassal implies a vassal that is a lord.

If British English is just screwy about that, well, blech.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 30, 2016, 11:50:15 am »

I was just using the word that Untrustedlife used.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 211