Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406598 times)

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1020 on: December 05, 2016, 02:18:06 am »

I kinda miss the large reclaims.  Has toady said anything about getting them back?

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Talk #19
Threetoe: Okay, so the next question: 'Are we likely to see the old 80-dwarf reclaim teams again anytime soon? I miss being able to command a huge military of dwarves to reclaim that legendary metal from the invaders, and a starting seven kitted out with bronze weapons just doesn't do it.'
Toady: I don't remember why we got rid of that, because it was cool. I think the issue was more of a technical one, and a release-time one. This is me trying to remember stuff from years ago, but I think it was when the military screen changed and the whole military structure changed, and we started having to track all this extra information about the military; it became a pain to set up the reclaim squads right. It could just be something like that. I don't think we're against that because the start scenarios that we're doing for fort mode are going to have all kinds ... there could still be a core seven dwarves, if we want to stick with that out of a sense of tradition, but there are going to be scenarios where you start with a bunch of hill dwarves outside of your civilization, and starting with a larger military group - especially to reclaim a really dangerous fort - seems as cool to me as back when we had it before.
Threetoe:Yeah, especially with all the military dwarf stuff coming up pretty soon; it's going to fit in there to have the larger group.
Toady:Yeah. I'd think we could see that stuff again.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:36 am »

You mentionned in the 16/11/2016 post that you gave a talk at the Practice conference at the NYU Game Center.
When you'll reply to the next FotF, if there is no news from it, would you summarize what did you talk about there ?

Thanks !

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 05, 2016, 04:54:05 am »

I disagree with Rockphed's assessment and support Random_Dragon's sentiment:

0.43.03: 3/20 bugs fixed.
I'm not sure where you got that number. In the devlog, there are 3 things under "major bug fixes" and 20 under "other bug fixes/tweaks", which I think could be it, but that second category also includes bug fixes. I'd also like to point out the changelog on Mantis, which lists 25 issues fixed in 0.43.03.
:
Yes, my number were <#major fixes>/<#minor fixes/tweaks> from the release notes. I've noted the bug tracker change log doesn't match up with the release notes. Also, I didn't read the release notes in detail, so there might be additional "minor tweaks" that were introductions of new stuff. (The "minor tweak" of weapon/armor damage has resulted in the need for additional bug fixes: in addition to the game crashing when weapon trap weapons break, there's also the need to deal with repair of equipment, dealing with masterworks destruction through damage [I don't know if a shock is generated, but suspect it is], and melting of damaged masterworks without causing a shock [in particular if repair isn't introduced]).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:30 am »

I speculate the major/minor thing is more about how close a thing is to core goals of DF. Notice some mix with mantis tracker as well, where I've so far managed to not detect a rhyme or reason....

How is the major to minor severity assigned on release notes and bug tracker?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 05, 2016, 09:43:44 am »

On the bug tracker you fill in the severity yourself when you write the report, although I don't know if it's sometimes adjusted later. Thus it reflects the reporters' various opinions (and possibly level of aggravation) rather than any sort of unified evaluation.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: December 05, 2016, 11:03:39 am »

Skills by spreadsheet will be replaced when the time comes, thus making utils like therapist (the skill selection part of it anyway) obsolete.
i doubt that. whatever they do, we will still need micromanagement, and - as you say - the skill selection is only a part. for many people (myself included) it's unplayable without DT (which is why i haven't played DF for a long time because there is no released DT for the current version). adding DT would improve the game alot more than all the other features. almost the same goes for dfhack.

i do realize they are relying on the community to provide these tools, but it's a bad solution, because the community is too slow (tools have become too complex) for that.
Why would he put therapist in rather than manipulator which was designed for the df interface and a built-in part that feels totally natural thanks to dfhack?

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 05, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »

Are we gonna see Animal Caretaking being implemented anytime soon? I'd like to keep my war beasties healthy so they can participate in more than one fight per life. I'm aware the current as-of-writing DFhack update has it working, but it'd be good to have it functional without plugins.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1027 on: December 05, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »

So, will I be able to bring artifacts to the demon for rewards with this update if I so wish, I don't want to have to be the good guy and you mentioned npcs doing it in the recent devlog so will players be able to do it?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 06, 2016, 06:34:25 am »

So, will I be able to bring artifacts to the demon for rewards with this update if I so wish, I don't want to have to be the good guy and you mentioned npcs doing it in the recent devlog so will players be able to do it?

I still can't wrap my head around how much will this update affect gameplay
As of now, you can kill baddies, kill goodies or kill yourself, with this update you'll be able to actually do things for people in a more ''tangible'' way, as artifacts are. You'll be able to give stuff to the demons, to the dwarves, or keep them yourself just to atract hordes of enemies
This opens a new world of possibilities and also sets the stone to future mechanics of the game

Sorry I got a little carried away

Well, the devlog talks about ''help for the journey'' , and rewards from questers
So, If you manage to talk with a demon without him killing you, you shouldnt have a problem with playing a little ''devils advocate'' (sorry) and making quests for demons

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 06, 2016, 08:30:10 am »

Why would he put therapist in rather than manipulator which was designed for the df interface and a built-in part that feels totally natural thanks to dfhack?
While he wouldn't put in either, I'd note that Dwarf Therapist has more features than manipulator for sorting - of which I consider things like (custom) roles, preferences, personality/ethics, attributes always useful, every day I use therapist - to the point that I didn't use manipulator (though I did use dfhack) in my recent succession 43.05 fortress, just vanilla interface (if I'm not going to be able to pick the best idle dwarf for the job, use it to weave a story or get dwarves to write ones or ensure nobody assigned armorsmithing always moods into low boots, it's still useful for ...oh wait, no migrant waves in generational fortress.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:32 am »

Well, the devlog talks about ''help for the journey'' , and rewards from questers
So, If you manage to talk with a demon without him killing you, you shouldnt have a problem with playing a little ''devils advocate'' (sorry) and making quests for demons
Whispy II: Artifact Bling Boogaloo.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »

Hey, I've been linked to. Fame +1

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:24 pm »

While he wouldn't put in either, I'd note that Dwarf Therapist has more features than manipulator for sorting - of which I consider things like (custom) roles, preferences, personality/ethics, attributes always useful, every day I use therapist - to the point that I didn't use manipulator (though I did use dfhack) in my recent succession 43.05 fortress, just vanilla interface (if I'm not going to be able to pick the best idle dwarf for the job, use it to weave a story or get dwarves to write ones or ensure nobody assigned armorsmithing always moods into low boots, it's still useful for ...oh wait, no migrant waves in generational fortress.)
Because Manipulator is like a (much) higher quality VPL, but which does everything Therapist does outside of making your neck hurt due to stupid sideways text, plus some random additional things that only seem to matter to people who use it, and which I thus don't understand due to having only ever installed it once before finding no way to get rid of the stupid sideways text so I deleted it all in disgust.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 07, 2016, 12:11:58 am »

Snrk. Yeah, I suppose sideways text takes some learning to read without turning your head(wasn't brothered too much, so never looked into ways to turn it off). Single letters wouldn't work out with ability to create custom sheets.

Still, I consider it quite important for caring for dwarf attributes/personality/etc, both for storytelling and job assigning.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 07, 2016, 02:58:55 am »

I can read it but it annoys the shit out of me. Manipulator has the little abbreviations and works fine.
Why is that not an option if you wanna have the grid?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 211