Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406704 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1050 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:20 pm »

Can spiders actually crawl around on ceilings and stuff? Or does the climbing system not support that yet?
Also when looking at legends you can see "so and so devoured so and so" however when you are a werebeast all you can really do is kill things, I cant devour creatures , neither can animals so if I play as a giant dingo or something in adventure mode I am unable to devour people, is this planned?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1051 on: December 10, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »

Can spiders actually crawl around on ceilings and stuff? Or does the climbing system not support that yet?
No, they can't, but GSC and such can climb on walls.
Also when looking at legends you can see "so and so devoured so and so" however when you are a werebeast all you can really do is kill things, I cant devour creatures , neither can animals so if I play as a giant dingo or something in adventure mode I am unable to devour people, is this planned?
"Devour" means to eat. If you eat histfig meat, that isn't tracked, though.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: December 10, 2016, 04:11:12 pm »

Mayor, Manager, Broker, Bookkeeper, Inquisitor, Sheriff, Hammerer, TorturerChief Medical Dwarf.

I could dig it.

The old priest classes had a tag where they could mention cults and heathens and such apparently, is this going to be coming back/built on with the holy relics and such, or is it even active but only under certain conditions now?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1053 on: December 10, 2016, 04:22:56 pm »

No, they can't, but GSC and such can climb on walls.
"Devour" means to eat. If you eat histfig meat, that isn't tracked, though.

Im aware, but the only way you can EAT a histfig in adventure mode is to butcher them I want to be able to take bites from the corpse while playing as a giant dingo. SO I am asking if its planned, I know what devour means, obviously. And I was asking of giant spiders can climb on ceilings and stuff. and you haven't actually answered that.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 10, 2016, 04:54:01 pm »

It was answered if you assume "GSC" is a mistype of "GCS", with generally stands for Giant Cave Spider. Interestingly enough, cave floaters actually seem to float below the ceiling.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 10, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »

It was answered if you assume "GSC" is a mistype of "GCS", with generally stands for Giant Cave Spider. Interestingly enough, cave floaters actually seem to float below the ceiling.
That's because they're actually flying, so that isn't a good idea to copy for other cave critters.

Do you want flying spiders? That's literally how you get flying spiders.
Im aware, but the only way you can EAT a histfig in adventure mode is to butcher them I want to be able to take bites from the corpse while playing as a giant dingo. SO I am asking if its planned, I know what devour means, obviously. And I was asking of giant spiders can climb on ceilings and stuff. and you haven't actually answered that.
I had the same idea, so I hacked in a workaround. Downside is you need to either use dfhack to untoggle the dead_dwarf flag or use a reaction to remove [CAN_LEARN] before killing them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 11, 2016, 04:44:41 am »

But, what about the Norwegian Blue parrot?  Lovely plumage, the Norwegian Blue.

I feel like you are referencing something, but I cannot place my finger on what.  Also, I'm pretty sure that this is an ex-joke.
It's not an ex-joke, it's merely stunned.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 11, 2016, 06:11:19 am »

Mayor, Manager, Broker, Bookkeeper, Inquisitor, Sheriff, Hammerer, TorturerChief Medical Dwarf.

I could dig it.

The old priest classes had a tag where they could mention cults and heathens and such apparently, is this going to be coming back/built on with the holy relics and such, or is it even active but only under certain conditions now?

Wow, I didnt know about that tag. Makes the creation of the dwarven inquisition much easier
In regards to the torture/Doctor stuff, Im still really pissed that dabbling diagnosers cant order someone to cut both your legs and take away a lung because of a normal flu. Horrible medicine is part of the time period DF is set anyway
Using dabbling doctors as torturers would be too cruel for the dwarves I think

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:54 am »

Yeah, I've felt for some time that things like devouring or cutting away small chunks of meat isnt considered by the game now. I would really want a lot more mechanics regarding bodies and tissues, but Im afraid it isnt a priority now
But hey, Toady always adds some surprise new stuff with each update (last one was joint damage), so who knows

Talking about that. With the hipothetical addition of multi-tiles creatures, they should be able to engulp people whole right? Its even one of the dev goals, with dragons and stomach acids.
I got interested in the needed mechanics for that to work, and, although I know at the moment it was a general idea, I would like to ask:

-The dragon had disolvent stomach acids in his belly. Does that mean that eventually materials will have chemical propierties like acidity or flamability, as most materials have phisical propierties now? That would reeeealy add stuff to the game
-The empty space that was considered his stomach spawned naturally those acids. Will we, in the future, have more creature creation mechanics as that?(Im talking body wise, having defined forms on bodies and organs) Will the creation of those materials ''consume'' nutrients from the food we eat, or will it work like infinite spits like we have now?

Phew, it was a lot to write. Thanks for reading in advantage

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 11, 2016, 08:38:57 am »

Is anything scheduled for terraforming? I think it would be realistic to add certain options, i.e. give a miner the task to take away one block of dirt at point A and use it to fill a hole at point B. It would also be great to have a job option to get rid of small boulders and saplings since they are often in the way of constructions.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: December 11, 2016, 09:23:48 am »

Is anything scheduled for terraforming? I think it would be realistic to add certain options, i.e. give a miner the task to take away one block of dirt at point A and use it to fill a hole at point B. It would also be great to have a job option to get rid of small boulders and saplings since they are often in the way of constructions.
I believe movement of soil would follow more or less naturally from the future change of sand and clay to become limited resources. Boulders can be removed by smoothing currently, so that's not a problem. Neither saplings nor boulders block construction as far as I've seen, but saplings can be removed with dirt roads (except when they're directly on top of rock, which can happen with saplings present at embark). Hopefully landscaping would also add the ability to remove mud (although that may end up in agriculture improvements instead).

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 11, 2016, 09:45:02 am »

Boulders can be removed by smoothing currently, so that's not a problem. Neither saplings nor boulders block construction as far as I've seen, but saplings can be removed with dirt roads (except when they're directly on top of rock, which can happen with saplings present at embark).

Fair enough, I was more thinking along the lines of farms. But here it might be easier to rewrite farms so that they can also (like everything else) be built on top of boulders and saplings.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 11, 2016, 11:22:06 am »

But, what about the Norwegian Blue parrot?  Lovely plumage, the Norwegian Blue.

I feel like you are referencing something, but I cannot place my finger on what.  Also, I'm pretty sure that this is an ex-joke.
It's not an ex-joke, it's merely stunned.

He's pining for the Fjords.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 11, 2016, 01:30:28 pm »

Boulders can be removed by smoothing currently, so that's not a problem. Neither saplings nor boulders block construction as far as I've seen, but saplings can be removed with dirt roads (except when they're directly on top of rock, which can happen with saplings present at embark).

Fair enough, I was more thinking along the lines of farms. But here it might be easier to rewrite farms so that they can also (like everything else) be built on top of boulders and saplings.
You can build farms on boulders by first smoothing them and then muddying their surface, and saplings can be removed by dirt roads. However, the farm rewrite may very well require you to have an entire Z level of soil/mud, in which case there will have to be a way to remove a rock floor and building soil layers (well, you can channel it away, and if soil movement is implemented you can then fill up the hole, but it would be more convenient to just remove the rock "lid").

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: December 11, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »

Phew, it was a lot to write. Thanks for reading in advantage

I can definitely see those ideas being abused by modders if implemented.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 211