Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406878 times)

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1065 on: December 12, 2016, 04:32:32 am »

"Will there be fjords in worldgen? And will they be populated with parrots?"
If by fjords you mean "adjacent mountain and sea", you can have these right now - even a world that's almost entirely made of them, with custom worldgen.

However, grey parrots occur only in tropical moist broadleaf forests (unless you mod them), so you have to include some rainy and hot mid-elevation areas.

Yeah basically, Mountains about 7 to * height adjacent to ocean. :)

Ah I need to just need to take the time to comprehend the advanced gen then :P Right now I don't understand it at all.

He's pining for the Fjords.

;D

btw, I understand waiting for dwarffortress development is like waiting for Star Citizen on steroids just without the drama. Is the next big update after the 64bit going to be the magic system? More spheres have secrets and stuff?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:21:10 am by ChristianWeiseth »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 12, 2016, 06:22:32 am »

I don't think advanced world gen is sufficient, but you'd probably have to go down into world painting, either directly or use a third party utility (e.g. figure out how to use Perfect World).

The next DF release is the artifact one. I think it will be followed by the myth&magic one. It's possible artifacts will be put in the back seat while myth&magic is implemented so it's released together, but suspect it will be separate sub arcs.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 12, 2016, 06:56:32 am »

Me thinks that too. First artifacts and the imbue magic in them
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:33 am »

Perfect World just clarifies what the world-painter is, and mixes in a bunch of neat tools to fiddle around with smooth curves and noise, but it does make it easier to get really really really sheer cliffs next to oceans, and I have seen several.

This area here was one as I recall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1069 on: December 12, 2016, 02:18:58 pm »

First off, if the new DF talk isn't uploaded yet as of your answer, when can we expect to see it? Also, what are the prospects of other DF talks following this next one?

Second off, (when) do you plan to implement natural diseases, fevers or even plauges? As well as diseases spreading outside of your fort. Currently the hospitals have none to little to do when there's not either some kind of attack on your fort or you're intentionally hurting your dwarves. The disease resistance also seems to do more or less nothing.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 12, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »

First off, if the new DF talk isn't uploaded yet as of your answer, when can we expect to see it? Also, what are the prospects of other DF talks following this next one?

Second off, (when) do you plan to implement natural diseases, fevers or even plauges? As well as diseases spreading outside of your fort. Currently the hospitals have none to little to do when there's not either some kind of attack on your fort or you're intentionally hurting your dwarves. The disease resistance also seems to do more or less nothing.

Toady is really, really bad at guessing when a release will be done.  Based on comments, I suspect he is currently sitting about 3/4 though the features of the release.  Then he needs to do a final pass over them to get them cleaned up and playing nice with each other, then he will probably spend a week squashing bugs.  So, probably end of February at the earliest.

As for the second question, if it isn't on the development page, then there is no timeline.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:34:01 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 12, 2016, 04:57:34 pm »

Could you post a link to where a new DFtalk was mentioned? Seemed to have missed that one. Thanks!
Last one (besides the unofficial 10th anniversary interview video) was years ago.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 12, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »

Phew, it was a lot to write. Thanks for reading in advantage

I can definitely see those ideas being abused by modders if implemented.

Yeah, everything that gives more freedom to modders is cool on my book

This I think will be eventually added. Diseases and pests are one of the most horrible and scary things we humans have in our magic-less world, so its a fair obstacle to implement in gameplay
Also, The medical system could definitely afford to be more awesome than it actually is
Not only that, but pests and pandemics are the center of the setting many stories, defining completely the challenges the protagonist is set onto, so it would add realism and various gameplay variations
Like, I dunno, vacines, wandering plague doctors, citadels closing to the outer worls for fear of the disease (Imagine if you had to enter the city to steal a trinket from the local mayor. Bam, infiltration mechanics)
Oh, and I definitely need more symptoms in the raws, as well as methods of transmission. Modders would like that very much
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:31:20 pm by Rubik »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 12, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »

Yeah, everything that gives more freedom to modders is cool on my book

And thus the vore mods would ensue. >.o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 13, 2016, 03:32:26 am »

and it also relates to an expanded language framework
This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask years ago and for various reasons never got around to and don't remember ever seeing asked.

Do you intend fortress or group name to ever have any significance to who shows up to join your fortress?
For example would naming your fortress Rakust Kozoth (The Tomb of Horror) or Stibmer Shash (The Shores of Hell) ever draw in very different migrants than Nicolthunen Ucat (Afterlife of Beers) or Ostarnökor Momuz Cagith (Burrieddead the Crypts of Crying)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 13, 2016, 05:10:23 am »

From the latest progress report "... So there'll be prophets, pilgrims, monks, peddlers and petty criminals. They won't get many mechanics, but they'll be around...".
Will these new character types apply for residence and/or citizenship, or will they just show up as visitors "useless" for fortress citizenship diversification purposes (both for the next release and for the fleshed out versions)?
For full cover I would guess some agents should eventually seek residence and then defect when their mission is accomplished (or failed), but I guess that wouldn't be able to make it in in the short term.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 13, 2016, 02:34:30 pm »

Can we as players be prophets, pilgrims etc? Can we make up bullshit prophecies?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 13, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »

Can we as players be prophets, pilgrims etc? Can we make up bullshit prophecies?

Oh god, I hadn't thought of the new roles applied to your adventurer

Will we be able to peddle, as adventurers?
What will be the requisites to becoming a criminal
What is the purpose of pilgrims(what will they tell you when you ask them why are they traveling)?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:39:15 am by Rubik »

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 16, 2016, 07:51:57 pm »

Probably been asked already, but hopefully someone will see this:

With the new locations functionality, when can we expect to see trade schools be an available option? Say you have a legendary clothier, and there's a lot of dwarves who want to learn a craft, they can go to this location and the clothier can teach them how to make clothes?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 17, 2016, 03:44:20 am »

Probably been asked already, but hopefully someone will see this:

With the new locations functionality, when can we expect to see trade schools be an available option? Say you have a legendary clothier, and there's a lot of dwarves who want to learn a craft, they can go to this location and the clothier can teach them how to make clothes?
Not within the near future, as it's not within the (initial) artifacts/myth/magic scope.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 211