Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406481 times)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1080 on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:48 am »

I know its a very broad question and that it's impossible to give anything resembling a precise answer, but I must ask.
From the dev.goals page, complex social situations and interactions, like deep conversations or logical reasonings, seem to be the base of a lot of goals. This makes sense, as a game that wants to generate stories like DF, needs complexity in every branch of the game
Now, social simulation games like sims (just an example) are something I really love, and I would like to know where will the limit of complexity regarding psycho/social behaviour will be
Powergoals 119 and 120 are somewhat what I dream to have in the game. Complex behaviour and the adequate implementation of it in the game

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 19, 2016, 10:46:10 pm »

Is there any way for spies to discover the identity of other spies? What happens if they do work it out and they're from opposing civs? If it's possible, how do other townsfolk/soldiers etc react if a spy's cover is blown?

Do spies from the same civ recognise each other? Does anything happen if they run into each other?

If a human adventurer walks into an evil goblin town where a human civ spy works, will that spy freak out like the rest of the goblins or will he ignore the adventurer?

Oh, and just in case...
If a goblin invasion wipes out a town,  will their spies survive? If not, will the entire civ melt down in a colossal worldgen loyalty cascade?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:52:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 20, 2016, 01:57:08 am »

Will we be able to accuse people of being spies?

'You despicable two-faced crook, know now that I have seen through your lies, and I will see to it that your treasonous ways receive the punishment they deserve!'

"What is this madness? I'm a vampire, not a spy, I mean... wait-"

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 20, 2016, 04:09:42 am »

I like what Toady has done about spies. I just hope that, with time, taverns won't be full of spies and that real people will still exist.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 20, 2016, 04:46:12 am »

I'm wondering how entities are even going to discover spies. Careless talk in taverns? Guards following sneaking characters to clandestine meetings?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:47:54 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 20, 2016, 05:41:15 am »

Artifacts, spells or alchemist concoctions that force someone to say the truth?
There's also the old, wise way of beating the crap and truth out of everything you come across.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 20, 2016, 07:09:39 am »

I like what Toady has done about spies. I just hope that, with time, taverns won't be full of spies and that real people will still exist.

Heh. Double agents all the way down.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 20, 2016, 01:56:43 pm »

Artifacts, spells or alchemist concoctions that force someone to say the truth?
There's also the old, wise way of beating the crap and truth out of everything you come across.
We sure gravitate towards torture around here.Don't you guys know how to fix problems peacefully?
Not strictly a complain though, beating someone for information is a much more valid reason than the tipical 'just for fun' beatings I do in the game

I'm wondering how entities are even going to discover spies. Careless talk in taverns? Guards following sneaking characters to clandestine meetings?

I might be completely wrong on this, but I think Toady mentioned that people would acknowledge that certain people asked questions. This is mainly meant to make spies actually follow you, but it could also turn back on them, raising the attention of the guards or the militia captain of the city

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 20, 2016, 02:16:39 pm »

...Yeah, I suppose breaking the spines of already honest people in the name of truth isn't really a problem, when put like that Rubik.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 22, 2016, 02:55:21 pm »

I thought I had stumbled upon an amazing new item decoration option in the raws when I tried using the [DEFAULT_IMPROVEMENT:SPECIFIC:ROLLERS:HARD_MAT] format with HANDLE to add some detail to my weapons and it worked. I had assumed that any improvement specified would work, allowing STRAPS on shields or PADDING on armor, but realized after checking in an unmodified save with dfhack I found that 0 (HANDLE) and 1 (ROLLERS) are present whether you change them or not.

Was this intended to be something we can add our own variations on top of? Was the HANDLE improvement intended to be included or just an afterthought? Also, there was an option in the globals list for what dfhack calls itemimprovement_specific_type which doesn't work at all, was that supposed to be the syntax for modding in improvements, or was it an existing feature that was deprecated (or mysteriously unavailable, like ART_IMAGE) at some point?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1090 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:22 pm »

Heh. Double agents all the way down.

Once this stuff makes it into fortress mode (if it won't already) can you imagine how convoluted some of the succession fortresses and community stories could get? And it can get more so if more motives, besides looking for artefacts, are added over time.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 23, 2016, 02:04:52 pm »

Been away and recently came back again, cooking up some questions.

What kind of overlaps does agents have on conquered provinces & spying on rebel/factional groups? I know goblins have frequent factional groups, very little law enforcement (without modding in local militias to duff up troublemakers) and a well exercised death penalty for treason, but obviously without knowing who is traitorous or possible pretender, they can't do anything about it pre-emptively. Might agents infiltrate these groups as well as keep tabs on disgruntled people in occupied settlements/new conquests? 

If you acquired by pure chance a king who does not respect law loyalty or honesty (possibly and most likely a sadistic vampire) within the very entity ethical dwarven kingdom (with all the promoted virtues against it etc etc) might they employ or atleast encourage more homegrown agents of their own to use to further their own interests. It'd be nice to have a crooked king bring in some criminals & shady dealers into the court & the taverns at much the distaste of the local population of your fortress.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:54:49 am by FantasticDorf »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1092 on: December 23, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »

Three questions, somewhat related:
Will there be coliseums or arenas at some point? Could provide interesting solutions for strength-worshipping civilizations to settle issues, as well as other scenarios, i.e one of the fighters dying from a poisoned weapon being provided, or rigged matches, etc.

Second, will there eventually be sites such as hamlets and the like that aren't affiliated with any civ by default? Could also provide for some scenarios like towns full of zombified villagers in evil biomes, perhaps governed by a necromancer group.

Lastly, will there be some sort of token that allows a creature to appear by default with weapons or clothing? Would make minotaurs and the like a lot more dangerous, and also really helpful for modding.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 25, 2016, 06:37:24 am »

These days, do you find it easier to implement adventure mode related features, or fortress mode features, or to simply work on worldgen frameworks? Which kind of work is exciting you the most, and which one do you think is more of a hassle?

Also, did you survive the lutefisk this year?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 26, 2016, 03:44:34 am »

I'm not sure I have read details about this, but if this is the case, sorry for the question :

Will a priest have access to some magic from gods, and if yes, will it be different from a wizard's magic ?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 211