Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406959 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1095 on: December 26, 2016, 03:53:36 am »

Is plant population being affected by mineral scarcity a precursor to nutrient-based soil model?
Will mineral-poor worlds also have nutrient-poor soils?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 26, 2016, 08:17:38 am »

Currently I think there's no nutrient tracking in the soil. Not for agriculture nor for wild plant life. The only restrictions is the kind of terrain and the rain? I'm not really sure.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 26, 2016, 10:01:32 am »

Can corpses be placed in display cases? Is there a size restriction, or can you put a sperm whale skeleton in a museum of natural history?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 26, 2016, 02:53:22 pm »

@LordBaal: I know that nutrients aren't tracked, but there's more than just biome-determining factors that affect how many of the theoretically available plant and animal species you actually get.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 26, 2016, 03:27:10 pm »

I thought the plant/creature availability was just randomized (possibly with weights)?
I've been able to use DFHack to give an embark access to all boozable plants except bananas (and I was able to trade for those) by extending the list of plants in all surface regions to include all the plants that are legal in any biome within the region prior to accepting the world. As far as I could see, shrubs initially missing on embark appeared later, while trees seemed to be limited to those species for which trees or saplings were present at embark.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 26, 2016, 04:31:28 pm »

Ok, so I was operating under a faulty hypothesis for a while lately, but after bashing my poor test subject into a wall on a minecart at high speeds (!!Science!!) with various changes I figured I'd ask for an official answer.

Initially I was convinced that high armor user skill had an effect on armor deflection rate, specifically that it increased the rate of "but the attack glances away!" results, though I was working on the assumption that, as the impacts with a higher rate of deflections and armor absorbing damage gave higher experience, this must represent a larger success on the skill roll.

After testing more I realized I had never really encountered high armor user without high dodging skill and tested that, resulting in a higher rate of "glances away" results, is that in fact a dodge result? Is there any sort of effect from higher armor user besides reduced encumbrance?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 26, 2016, 05:39:13 pm »

@PatrickLundall: I think it is randomized and seeded - some factors, like mineral scarcity, change it even if the biome stats remain the same.

You could also accomplish what you described by modding the plants to be UBIQUITOUS for their biome, iirc (Never tried).

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 26, 2016, 05:48:49 pm »

In the future Myth/Magic release, are there plans to expand prayer in adventure mode? Will talking to a player's deity eventually get a response if they are devout enough, or grant blessing, gifts, or tablets/secrets a la Nethack?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 26, 2016, 05:56:16 pm »

Or will such benefits include missing limbs being replaced with limbs made out of banana pulp?

A cookie if you get which roguelike that referenced.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 28, 2016, 06:35:55 am »

I'm not sure I have read details about this, but if this is the case, sorry for the question :

Will a priest have access to some magic from gods, and if yes, will it be different from a wizard's magic ?

We know for a fact that gods will have powers, and that some gods will want to be praised, like irl mythology. It's pretty asumable that the higher tiers of a religious organization will have links to gods, be it by having magical power, or by having contact with them

In the future Myth/Magic release, are there plans to expand prayer in adventure mode? Will talking to a player's deity eventually get a response if they are devout enough, or grant blessing, gifts, or tablets/secrets a la Nethack?
Again a wild guess, but it seems the most logical path for that mechanic, being able to communicate with omnipotent beings through praying, and having it affect the world and yourself somehow, its all open possibilities
Makes me wonder how will the game actually process it though. Think about it, if the god is thought off like a sentient being with a phisical body in a far realm (somehow like now), talking to him would be the same as praying? Would be praying be considered an ethereal walkie-talkie?
And if we consider gods more like forces of nature, being abstract concepts afecting the world, what Im I talking to exactly?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 28, 2016, 07:50:08 am »

I very much doubt DF gods are going to be omnipotent, as that more or less requires monotheism (irresistible forces vs unmovable objects, etc.), but rather more akin to gods in polytheistic mythologies, where they are (sometimes much) more powerful than humans, but neither all powerful, nor all knowing.
I'd assume that if a "god" was a more or less sentient force, you wouldn't converse with it, but rather get any responses in the form of feelings, visions, or possibly thoughts, rather than words.

DarkwingUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 28, 2016, 10:54:33 am »

Hi Toady,
I have two questions about relationships.

You mentioned asymmetrical relationships due to the new code for creating spies and agents. Does this also mean that ordinary relationships in fortress mode will also be asymmetrical? Could this mean the possibility for unrequited love, or love triangles?

Also, in a similar vein,

In a recent fortress I noticed that two of the original seven dwarves had become lovers. Later, they were in the hospital and I noticed that they got into a huge fistfight. One of them had been enraged. Is this planned behaviour? Have relationships now become potentially aggressive as well as positive?

Thanks a lot!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 28, 2016, 11:03:35 am »

They already are asymmetrical(before becoming lovers, anyway). Look around, maybe you'll find a Alice who thinks Bob is their friend, yet have Bob not even acknowledge Alice's existence.

As far as aggressive relationships go, grudges - and grudge-relation dwarves punching each other in argument - are indeed present. Though the rudeness is exacerbated since alcohol was made into rudeness-causing syndrome, grudges have been here since 0.28.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:06:04 am by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 28, 2016, 01:38:05 pm »

Also note that some dorfs like to argue, and some like to fight, so if one of the party likes to argue and the other one likes to fight you could potentially end up with them fighting, while still being lovers. I haven't heard of love relations ever disappearing (apart from turning into marriage), but I've seen occasional cases of friendship levels decaying very, very slowly (where the other party is [no longer] present in the fortress, so there's no refresh).

As Fleeting Frames, I've seen friendship relations being one sided up until becoming lovers, but I've never seen either lover or grudge relations being one sided (and I'd find it hard to imaging a one sided lover relation, as that implies it's mutual, as opposed to being in love, which DF currently doesn't model).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 28, 2016, 02:09:45 pm »

Wiki says Grudge is not necessarily mutual, though the source thread is from 2010 - before emotion rework.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 211