Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406537 times)

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1125 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:14 pm »

Will there ever be a way to turn rotten skeletons into bones?
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 02, 2017, 01:08:30 am »

Alright. I'll be more specific:

Will spells available for casting be determined during world generation, invented by wizards themselves, or improvised on the fly? Will each spell produce a specific effect (e.g. conjure ice, pick lock, transform wood to metal) or will spells be able to produce wider sets of effects (e.g. conjure this thing, move that thing, transform this thing to that thing)?

Well, the stories written by the brothers and the stuff Toady himself says suggest that spells can/will be natural, given by gods, invented by people, and a long etc.
Everything myth/magic oriented will be determined from the nature created in each world gen.
In this order, magic depends from the mythology, and the mythology derives from rng and the famous sliders

The effects of magic vary wildly in nature, execution, source and usage from the stories published, which are our actual only sources of info from future features
The last story, published as a christmas gift 6 days ago, delves subtly in some aspects of magic
You should really read the analisis of this story and the cado one if you are interested in magic, as well as read old threads about the subject, which exist almost since the beggining of the dev time

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_tales_foretold.html
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_journey.html

here, both stories links

In a more broad and quick answer, magic will be different from world to world, and you'll be able to explore different types of magic and usages in each of them.
Also uses will be deep or simple, general or precise, but none of them will be 'rpg' type magic. At least not in the usual way
You can see some of the magic effects when they showed the myth generator in the gdc talk a while back.

Some of the spells sound like they have specific single purpose effects, there were some that are just "move water". Some of them are phrased more vaguely though, like "lay a curse" or "turn into a plant". Presumably those would have parameters that you would decide on casting. There are actually quite a few simple "shoot lightning" spells, but they still almost always have a weird cost associated (your own flesh, memories, physical presence).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:24:01 am by golemgunk »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 02, 2017, 09:42:12 am »

Is there a plan for travelers to use roads and bridges? Would there some benefit to it? But some risk, such as increased bandit activity? Would players be able to set up a camp on a key bridge or a major highway, and steal from travelers?
There could be multiple benefits to roads:
- not getting lost (this one I can't see getting implemented)
- faster travel, especially with wagons.
- Guaranteed way to cross rivers that might span the world.
- Easier to band together with security against bandits.

That said, someone else would be more suited to answer things about current and planned traveller movement.

As for the stealing, can already do it in fort mode by marking what visitors carry on them for dumping. Like in adventure mode, where gear laying around in the hillocks can be freely picked up, this pisses off nobody.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:31 pm »

As for the stealing, can already do it in fort mode by marking what visitors carry on them for dumping. Like in adventure mode, where gear laying around in the hillocks can be freely picked up, this pisses off nobody.
In adventure mode you can beat them, and then demand items, or wrestle them away. That'd be how you steal.  I'm talking about more bandit stuff, such as robbing caravans and travelers for their wealth. It would require caravans, but that'd be another source of income.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 02, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »

Without bugs (the game kind, not the natural animal kind), usually that would be happening anyway but you can butcher skeletal corpses for bones (again if its not bugged)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 02, 2017, 05:57:12 pm »

Without bugs (the game kind, not the natural animal kind), usually that would be happening anyway but you can butcher skeletal corpses for bones (again if its not bugged)
Building on FantasticDorf's answer: You have to wait until the meat has rotted away, I think, but when you have a clean skeleton you can butcher it for bones (which is normally scheduled automatically, unless you've changed the settings from default), but only provided the critter is butcherable, i.e. you would have been able to butcher it while fresh.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 03, 2017, 04:39:57 pm »

It would be interesting if skeletons naturally turned into unjoined bones though, as if the connective tissue had rotten away. Eventually, bones would turn into bone meal
In an idilic version of the game, this would count as fertilizing

I can see this mechanic happening in the future, when damage to materials is more understood by the game. We'd also have pieces of armor getting cutted away from the main piece by a particularly strong atack, stuff like that
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:42:07 pm by Rubik »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1132 on: January 04, 2017, 04:25:23 am »

What are your thoughts on natural non-unique magical items, such as the golden apples from norse mythology and the the dragon's teeth (those that spawned soldiers) from greece mythology?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 04, 2017, 04:54:01 am »

@Rubik: We probably don't want pieces of armor lying around. The FPS is already degraded too much as it is by items that have to be kept track of. Bones should not decay into bone meal, but rather disappear when degraded sufficiently: creation of bone meal fertilizer should be an active (workshop) activity.
The bone retrieval is currently odd in that you can get bones when severed extremities decay, but the decay of bodies result in skeletons that do not decay further into bones (but they will degrade into nothing eventually, I believe). Getting bones from a skeleton requires an active butchering task, which is available only for some skeletons, which is inconsistent: you really ought to be able to butcher bodies of tame animals killed by invaders, and you really ought to be able to retrieve bones from any skeletons you do not have any ethical restrictions to using the bones of. The current butcherability tag primarily intended for meat butchering is reused for bone retrieval. It's also inconsistent that bones from sapients can't be used for crafting, but bones from undead that used to be sapient can.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 04, 2017, 07:20:03 am »

@Rubik: We probably don't want pieces of armor lying around. The FPS is already degraded too much as it is by items that have to be kept track of. Bones should not decay into bone meal, but rather disappear when degraded sufficiently: creation of bone meal fertilizer should be an active (workshop) activity.
The bone retrieval is currently odd in that you can get bones when severed extremities decay, but the decay of bodies result in skeletons that do not decay further into bones (but they will degrade into nothing eventually, I believe). Getting bones from a skeleton requires an active butchering task, which is available only for some skeletons, which is inconsistent: you really ought to be able to butcher bodies of tame animals killed by invaders, and you really ought to be able to retrieve bones from any skeletons you do not have any ethical restrictions to using the bones of. The current butcherability tag primarily intended for meat butchering is reused for bone retrieval. It's also inconsistent that bones from sapients can't be used for crafting, but bones from undead that used to be sapient can.

If you hit the quote button next to my post, you can link it correctly, without using the '@'
I was just thinking aloud in regards to the mechanics of decaying, that's why I didnt put too much effort on expalining myself
-Armor pieces would be smelted of (if big enough, if not they would dissapear) back into nuggets or even lingots to re-cast the metal armor
-Bone degrading into dust wouldnt be used as a cheat method to obtain free bone meal, because it would require an extreme long time for the bone to erode by itself. Actually, the method used in the workshop is an acelerated version of this
-and the rest was already said in previous posts, dont know why you re-post it

At leasts that was what was passing through my mind, there are probably not gonna be implemented

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 04, 2017, 02:09:52 pm »

Quoting provides the content of previous post to address in context, as well as link of it - at cost of page length that means more reading and scrolling required for anybody viewing a page.

As it is clear what posts PatrickLundall and you both are addressing here, there benefits of quoting isn't present - in your example, quoting the post immediately before yours just pads the length of your post. As such, it is better to use @ for the same reason it is better to edit the post instead of doublepost in most situations.

A mix of the two options sometimes used is to quote, but only to quote a snippet, or replace quoted text with *snipped*, as to provide link to original post without taking up page space.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 04, 2017, 02:30:58 pm »

@Fleeting Frames

Works well, I guess I was too acostumed to the normal system, and as I dont like twitter, I never use the '@'

Nothing new, but after being beaten up because I wasnt fast enough to escape from the other goblins because I was on the ground I though that it would be cool to be able to limp away, as humans (and most probably darves too) are able to limp and jump
I began writing the text for the suggestion forums when I thought about spiders and non-symetricals creatures, and how difficult would be to designate what can be damaged without the creature falling to the ground and such, so I abandoned the Idea

So the question is this, have you ever thought about reworking stances or other combat/movement mechanics? If so, which ones? thanks

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 04, 2017, 02:41:59 pm »

I think there are plans for a whole procedurally generated martial arts system which will see a lot of that rewritten.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:45 pm »

Have you thought about hinting at forgotten beasts strange qualities rather then telling the player they spit acid and climb walls?

What do you think of the last guardian as a model for forgotten beasts?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 04, 2017, 07:25:31 pm »

Have you thought about hinting at forgotten beasts strange qualities rather then telling the player they spit acid and climb walls?

What do you think of the last guardian as a model for forgotten beasts?

"The forgotten beast Burdcat has come! A giant mess of feathers and cute. Its feathers are grey. Beware its deadly lightning!"
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 211