Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412334 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1155 on: January 05, 2017, 05:34:35 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
For example, if the player robs somebody without saying their name, a problem with the new system was that only the people that witnessed the event thought ill of the player even after a few days, since other townspeople could no longer make the link between the player and the event. However, if the player talks to enough people in a small enough town either before or after the robbery, then whatever name/alias they used should become linked to the incident after a bit of time (the normal rumor spread time).
There ya go, I imagine it'll be similar to the "reply with impersonation" option except with more choices or different identities listed as you make/acquire them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 05, 2017, 07:31:27 pm »

Ah, I see. I am curious what the UI will be in this case. Logically I assume that skipping the greeting step would leave you unknown, just as it means you start off not knowing the NPC's name. But beyond that, hmm.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:46 am »

I was immediately thinking of it being a variation on the screen you get when someone addresses you, except it defaults to that for people who don't know you yet.

*made a mock-up with gm-editor*
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:39:52 am by Max™ »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 06, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »

Ooh. I like that idea. If your sorcery can get it to work, I'm sure it's possible to add in-game support for. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 06, 2017, 03:34:59 pm »

Yeah, I'd need a script and the relevant globals located properly to be able to insert a full working link to the identity and such, though technically I could probably fake together a working alias-and-greeting linkage by hand, but the aliases don't matter as much right now so not much point to go all the way with it. Those are just edited titles, but it seems like the most obvious way to work it in since you wouldn't really need the identities after a greeting, and fits Toady's style.

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 06, 2017, 07:31:14 pm »

Pardon me, but will bins ever stop being so evil? I.e. generating heavy disruptions in jobs like Decorating (due to Store Item in a Stockpile job snatching the item bins from crafters, which somehow overrides the Decorate Item job) and blocking stockpile links from piles with bins to piles with no bins allowed (due to Store Item in a Stockpile job being unable to pull items from bins, unlike most other jobs).

Also, will we ever be able to specify items for decoration jobs more precisely without fiddling with stockpile links? Like picking item types more specific than furniture/finished goods/ammo, or better yet, a specific item like in the military menu.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 07, 2017, 12:53:48 am »

Also, will we ever be able to specify items for decoration jobs more precisely without fiddling with stockpile links? Like picking item types more specific than furniture/finished goods/ammo, or better yet, a specific item like in the military menu.

The answer to this and most UI question, "Sounds reasonable, but no time frame for when it'll get done."
The UI gets changed fairly regularly but only the bits that are directly related to whats being worked on.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 07, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »

What's done for the next release? What still needs doing?

From the devlogs, it looks like artifact handling is mostly in. Has the myth generator been integrated yet? I recall that magic is waiting until the second part of the update.

Edit: Nevermind; found the development page.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:04:58 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1163 on: January 07, 2017, 03:28:44 pm »

From the devlogs, it looks like artifact handling is mostly in. Has the myth generator been integrated yet?
I recall that magic is waiting until the second part of the update.

The next update is not the first part of the myth update, but the only part (presumably) of the artifact update, that deals with non-magical artifacts and conflicts revolving around them.

The myth generator has thus not been integrated yet, and will not until the update after this one. (Or even further in the future)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 07, 2017, 03:29:42 pm »

Though I am glad, since I have no idea how the myth generator will affect mods that edit civilizations.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 07, 2017, 07:03:18 pm »

From the devlogs, it looks like artifact handling is mostly in. Has the myth generator been integrated yet?
Artifact release (going by initial plans) still requires kobold sites and all of the artifact stuff for fortress mode (squads, invasions, demands, possibly in-fortress spies) neither of which have started yet. Quite a way to go yet.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 07, 2017, 07:18:01 pm »

Cutebolds deserve more love, yes.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 08, 2017, 10:12:09 am »

Artifact release (going by initial plans) still requires kobold sites and all of the artifact stuff for fortress mode (squads, invasions, demands, possibly in-fortress spies) neither of which have started yet. Quite a way to go yet.

That can't take a lot of time, considering how fast he has been going for now, right?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »

Site maps always seem to take a long time. Fixing adventurer mode lag in busy sites was also a goal and who knows how long that'll take. Then Fortress seems to be a mass of ancient code which may well require some fixing up in various places.
I'd expect the update to come around July. 1 year, same as the taverns release.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:39 pm »

Vast majority of the adventure mode site lag is stuff like world-gen forts where people start in locations a, b, or c, but want to get to locations b/c, a/c, or a/b, possibly tossing in a d in there, which is awful when they're trying to path up a rampspiral or stuck on a level with a broken connection.

Since I changed goblins to stop the kill_neutral:required behavior the only time towns or forts are super laggy is if there is a buggy collapse or a randomly sealed off murderbox library, occasionally dark fortresses have gobs trying to conga-line in/out of the minitowers/spire and get pretty laggy too.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 211