Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406680 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1170 on: January 08, 2017, 10:03:44 pm »

Since I changed goblins to stop the kill_neutral:required behavior the only time towns or forts are super laggy is if there is a buggy collapse or a randomly sealed off murderbox library, occasionally dark fortresses have gobs trying to conga-line in/out of the minitowers/spire and get pretty laggy too.

Out of curiosity, does that have any affect on ability to travel through or rest in dark forts?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 09, 2017, 12:01:05 am »

Vast majority of the adventure mode site lag is stuff like world-gen forts where people start in locations a, b, or c, but want to get to locations b/c, a/c, or a/b, possibly tossing in a d in there, which is awful when they're trying to path up a rampspiral or stuck on a level with a broken connection.

Since I changed goblins to stop the kill_neutral:required behavior the only time towns or forts are super laggy is if there is a buggy collapse or a randomly sealed off murderbox library, occasionally dark fortresses have gobs trying to conga-line in/out of the minitowers/spire and get pretty laggy too.
I find general wandering around the biggest cities (pop 10k+) to lag somewhat, and more so when wandering into the keep or down into the sewers of those sites. Not as badly a dark fortress kill-neutral freak-out but enough to encourage me not to bother with a highly populated kobold cave - so certainly worth working on for the next release.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: January 09, 2017, 12:30:06 am »

I actually switched in a second dwarf civ with one building cities and one making forts, a fort with a thousand pop is still laggier than a city with ten thousand units wandering around unless it's a site that was taken over by elves or something cause then you end up with ten thousand elves sleeping up on the wall towers who wake up and want to pile into the keep at the same time, which is about as laggy as collapsing a spire into hell, or a two~three thousand pop world-gen fort.

Out of curiosity, does that have any affect on ability to travel through or rest in dark forts?
Nah, that's site based sadly.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 09, 2017, 01:04:13 am »

Nah, that's site based sadly.

Mierda. ;_;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:30 am »

The fortifications (trenches etc) deny you from sleeping there & fast-travelling out (when you play as a evil entity adventurer), which is probably for the best given that you'll probably be murdered or have a random encounter with some deranged goblin eventually, its safer to camp outside away from the lag & squabble.

From some relatively detailed analysis of the goblin site, goblins literally live in cracks in the ground (made by the tower & is a 2/3 long 1x3 area) shared between families and often sleep on the floor with large extended families and because of the adjacency, goblins who aren't dead or murdered by their peers are instead lifelong friends because they talk all the time.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #1175 on: January 09, 2017, 07:42:26 am »

Will there ever be a way to create an intelligent forest creature civ?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31:26 am »

...Elf?
You can also create any kind of civ you like with some very basic modding.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 09, 2017, 10:28:24 am »

The convention is that if you want Toady to read your question and reply to it you paint it in (lime) green, but you can leave it at default if the question is directed to other forumites.

As Shonai_Dweller said, elves are forest creatures, and you can mod other races to form civs yourself. In addition to this, things will be shaken up when a fantasy slider is implemented, as the zero fantasy end would allow humans only, while the 100% should generate all kinds of whacky stuff, some of which might be forest dwelling (if there is such a thing as forests in that setting...).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 09, 2017, 11:51:33 am »

The fortifications (trenches etc) deny you from sleeping there & fast-travelling out (when you play as a evil entity adventurer), which is probably for the best given that you'll probably be murdered or have a random encounter with some deranged goblin eventually, its safer to camp outside away from the lag & squabble.

If you mod goblins to be playable however, this becomes an unfortunate annoyance, given you're liable to only be accosted if you encounter bandits rather than soldiers, who the average goblin seems to have a negative opinion of anyway. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 09, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »

If you mod goblins to be playable however, this becomes an unfortunate annoyance, given you're liable to only be accosted if you encounter bandits rather than soldiers, who the average goblin seems to have a negative opinion of anyway. :V

Smash one of their heads in & brag about it and then bandits just slink away because you're too scary. That's particularly what i meant by the foritifcations example, given you start & sometimes need to travel to dark fortresses past the swathes & large expanse of sandy trenches, you spend a lot of time making a slow gradually laggy approach to the dark tower based roughly on your map.

Bragging about violent acts is mostly the way you're going to communicate in goblin society anyway so get a good number of kills under your belt using your mediocre equipment unless you want to raid a dwarf fortress.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 10, 2017, 11:58:39 pm »

With the new identities system, could an adventurer conceivably gain a criminal reputation in a town as one identity, get a hand chopped off by something somewhere else, then go to another town and raise the hand up and claim that you had killed your secret alter ego?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:59 am »

That is an interesting question, presenting an item or corpse can already let people recognize that it means someone is dead or was at least attacked, bragging about slaying your evil alter ego like that isn't too far from what may be involved in just setting up an identity actually.

Hell, that's a good question: would it be possible to go around claiming you were responsible for slaying a monster or whatnot as part of a fake identity? Naturally this would run the risk of bumping into someone who had actually done it, or someone who had been attacked by it at some point after you claimed to have bumped it off, I'd suppose.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 11, 2017, 01:20:42 am »

Go help a vampire to get a new fake identity, brag that you dusted it.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 11, 2017, 02:40:16 am »

That is an interesting question, presenting an item or corpse can already let people recognize that it means someone is dead or was at least attacked, bragging about slaying your evil alter ego like that isn't too far from what may be involved in just setting up an identity actually.

Hell, that's a good question: would it be possible to go around claiming you were responsible for slaying a monster or whatnot as part of a fake identity? Naturally this would run the risk of bumping into someone who had actually done it, or someone who had been attacked by it at some point after you claimed to have bumped it off, I'd suppose.

Via the Bay 12 twitter feed it is.

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/811005801418485761

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:01 am »

Via the Bay 12 twitter feed it is.

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/811005801418485761
That's just a tweet about npc secret agent behavior. I think people are more interested in how much we can actually play with fake identity schenanigans ourselves.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 211