Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406478 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1185 on: January 11, 2017, 03:46:38 pm »

Well, claiming to be a great monster slayer yourself and encountering someone who brags about having taken down two dragons in the hill of terror are pretty closely related, yeah.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 13, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »

Three questions regarding needs and their future: can dwarves fulfill all the needs they have in the current version? Are they supposed to be able to do that? How responsible will the player be for fulfilling the dwarves' needs? To specify, will dwarves who want to practice a martial art pick up training weapons by themselves and practice and dwarves who want to wander have a specific task for that et cetera, or will certain needs require player micromanagement in the future?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1187 on: January 13, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »

Do you ever plan on adding music to adventurer mode, or is it silent in homage to classic rogue-likes?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 13, 2017, 01:47:06 pm »

@Daniel:
In the current version, not all needs are fulfillable. To name few examples, need for family for dwarves who have none and won't marry, or need for friends when hating friendship and having none. Frequently, need for a drink or food that you cannot produce or import.

Currently, some dwarves are willing to remedy on their own when idle at times and possible, such as praying, socializing and eating their favourite uncooked food. Others, such as martial art practice or need to practice a craft, require player to give the task.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:27 pm »

Fleeting Frames beat me to it, so there's some overlap in out answers, but they also complement each other to some extend.

Mood satisfaction is a mixed bag of them doing it if you provide them with the basic prerequisites, you having to assign them, and various degrees ineptitude which is rather hard to engineer for them.

- Martial arts require you to set them to training: they won't do it themselves.
- Food preference needs are basically only fulfilled by eating raw goods or drinks. There is one report of a dorf who bypassed meals to get to one with a favored ingredient, and many cases where they just get something else (probably whatever is closest) even if a suitable meal exists in the stocks.
- Need for fancy clothes is handled by themselves, as long as you provide clothes.
- Need for trinkets is sort of handled by themselves. There are indications dorfs will claim trinkets they're tasked to haul, or possibly advertised for hauling. It's uncertain if they'll pick up stuff from the workshop or things already in a stockpile, however.
- Reading (introspection), socializing, and praying is handled by the dorfs themselves, but you can make it easier by providing time to do so (and suitable facilities, of course). However, they can easily spend all their time socializing while complaining about not getting to pray. This may have been balanced a little.
- Need to wander is probably handled by themselves. A guess is that suicide strolls out the gate in the face of a siege and in violation of a civilian alert is caused by wandering.
- Need for excitement can be satisfied by sending the dorfs to kill something. I'm unsure if they'll pick a fight for excitement, or if it's an unrelated result of liking to argue and/or brawl.
- Needs to be with friends and family (or to get a family) are handled completely ineptly. They'll socialize with strangers when friends are socializing across the room and then complain. They're also completely unaware of the fact that you need to socialize and attract someone suitable to get a family. There is also something odd with how the friend relation scale works, as dorfs may have grown up together, but still not even have a passing relation to each other, but yet relations to two pages worth of visitors (including caravan members, who they ought to have met only briefly, as those do not even frequent the tavern), even when given a fair bit of free time.
- Need for crafting requires you to task them with a suitable job: they won't do hobby crafts (apart from strange moods).
There should be others I didn't catch in that list.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »

I don't think a need to wander will be done in a fort, I only get it when I travel in adventure mode through areas of wilderness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:22 am »

I don't think a need to wander will be done in a fort, I only get it when I travel in adventure mode through areas of wilderness.
Sending out dwarves with a need to wander as part of artifact recovery squads would probably solve that  one.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 14, 2017, 03:29:24 am »

Yeah, it's one of the most annoying, alongside see animal, yet see great beast is fulfilled by talking to people, so I'm guessing it's actually "see histfig" like a named animal or whatnot.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:17 am »

Do you ever plan on adding music to adventurer mode, or is it silent in homage to classic rogue-likes?

Ifrc, he said in an interview that he still plays the guitar from time to time, but he hasnt dedicated to add more music for now
dont worry, in the same interview he said that in the future he'd like the game to have a lot more music and sounds for actions and stuff
he actually did the two songs that we love on one sitting, so it should be easy for him to produce more, I think

@Shonai_Dweller
@Max™

I think that in the medium far future, aprox. the law update, our understanding of dwarven freedom will change slightly. Be it a change for needs, or to fulfill the ones that we have, like wandering, or the fact that most dreams dwarves have can't be achieved while being in a fortress, or a long etc.
Dwarves will get in and out of your fort easily and more.
This is a part of any fiction/fantasy book you have read, and it happened in real life too. Visiting family in other fort, retrievieng artifacts (the first contact we are gonna get of this aspect of gameplay), simply migrating in search of a better/different life or being expulsed from the fort are very valid reasons to simply...get out. Most of course will come back, not as migrants, the only units of this kind we have now, but as traveler residents, or something like that
Personally, I think this is the logical step DF has been preparing for for a long time, and it will enrich inmensely the gameplay for one simple reason

The doubt.
Dwarf Fortress will truly earn a story/book-like status (regarding mistery and ''what will happen''qualities) when we, the players, be able to bite our nails wondering what happened to the married pair of warriors we sent on a rescue mision by command of our civ's king, or if our legendary weaponsmith will be able to rescue her snatched child, or a long long etc.
It will feel exactly like living inside a book, because as a fort, you take the rol of an observer, like when you read a book

just imagine having your mayor welcome the scholar that you let travel a couple of years ago on a quest to obtain his father's favourite book for scribing, and seeing that he is missing a leg and an arm, that he has no shadow and a grim expression on his face, and that he is holding the mentioned book in his hand, wouldnt you want to know what happened?

It could even have a new interface for asking him what happened and whatnot, I thirst for actual uses for the mayor
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:13:56 am by Rubik »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 14, 2017, 12:34:00 pm »

A mayor or inquisitor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:53 pm »

Eh, both the mayor and expedition leader are a lot more useful now that the "meet workers" role also covers petitions (confirmed via giving that responsibility token to the manager in a mod I was fiddling with).

Would be neat if the hammerer was given the role of beating information out of people. o3o

This gives me a question, actually. How will attempting to root out spies in fortress mode be handled, from the player's perspective? If they're given any ability to actively order investigations or interrogate people, which dwarf would be in charge of such things?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 14, 2017, 03:21:38 pm »

Eh, both the mayor and expedition leader are a lot more useful now that the "meet workers" role also covers petitions (confirmed via giving that responsibility token to the manager in a mod I was fiddling with).

Would be neat if the hammerer was given the role of beating information out of people. o3o

This gives me a question, actually. How will attempting to root out spies in fortress mode be handled, from the player's perspective? If they're given any ability to actively order investigations or interrogate people, which dwarf would be in charge of such things?

If anything that sounds more like a prelude to the law arc, setting up the worth of villainous folk to catch & apprehend then ship off.

Occasionally putting on a spectacle to watch a spy get clobbered rather than applying punishment of your own dwarves sounds much more pleasant

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 14, 2017, 03:32:37 pm »

Maybe, but spies would be broken as all hell if there wasn't SOME method, whether player-controlled or solely handled by dwarves mucking about, of dealing with them in some manner. Like how vampires will at the very least be ousted if they're dumb enough to drink blood with witnesses around, if the player's paying attention.

Implementing a feature and allowing it to mess with the player, with actual methods of dealing with said feature, is something I'd expect from Cataclysm DDA. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 14, 2017, 06:13:42 pm »

If anything that sounds more like a prelude to the law arc, setting up the worth of villainous folk to catch & apprehend then ship off.

Occasionally putting on a spectacle to watch a spy get clobbered rather than applying punishment of your own dwarves sounds much more pleasant

Jesus guys, I wasnt wrong, you really want torture in this game right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 14, 2017, 08:29:36 pm »

Torture is already implied in the game. Torture for information and Torture for fun are both defined ethics.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 211