Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406624 times)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1200 on: January 14, 2017, 08:31:43 pm »

Torture is already implied in the game. Torture for information and Torture for fun are both defined ethics.

But can you do it? Sadly.. no.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 14, 2017, 08:40:00 pm »

Torture is already implied in the game. Torture for information and Torture for fun are both defined ethics.

Not yet anyway. It's against dwarf ethics anyhow.
But sites won't be limited to dwarves forever. So there's 'hope' yet.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 14, 2017, 09:11:18 pm »

Meaning Goblin Gulag confirmed for futurecanon? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 15, 2017, 04:31:59 am »

ASCII prison architect - Ages of communal showering & drunkeness

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its reasonable to say that in the ethics, goblins would torture any prisoner (and also animals) for fun or no reason at all other than to keep goblins amused (which sounds like a very efficient way to deal with cruelty desires)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 15, 2017, 10:19:58 am »

Not yet anyway. It's against dwarf ethics anyhow.
But sites won't be limited to dwarves forever. So there's 'hope' yet.

I wonder if it'll be a player controled thing, with its own menues and such, or if it's 'left to the creativity of the crafter', like when you make a statue
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:49:21 am by Rubik »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 15, 2017, 11:59:31 am »

Its reasonable to say that in the ethics, goblins would torture any prisoner (and also animals) for fun or no reason at all other than to keep goblins amused (which sounds like a very efficient way to deal with cruelty desires)

Maybe. Funny as that'd be, it was also referencing my unofficial name for "goblins as playable civ" mods. Since my own released version of Kobold Camp is Kobold Kamp, it seems amusing to have other such mods be alliterative.

Human Hamlet? Elf Enclave? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:51 pm »

Maybe. Funny as that'd be, it was also referencing my unofficial name for "goblins as playable civ" mods. Since my own released version of Kobold Camp is Kobold Kamp, it seems amusing to have other such mods be alliterative.

Human Hamlet? Elf Enclave? o3o

Goblins are probably the easiest ones to mod because they are 0 upkeep and malleable to what the player raw edits, i have my own 'build' of a goblin centric DF edition i've talked about before that's balanced because turtling is punished by inevitable infighting. Alternative races are either so far out there or not really on the planned dev plan at all that its not worth worrying about too much and instead assimilate the new dwarf features in the alternative context.

For example, the first thing im going to run for after playing a bit of the next version's vanilla is check out the relation goblins have between artifacts (see if i can coax some dwarves to bring artifact weapons/armour in sieges) set up some amusing museums of never ending *dwarven* suffering & hang out with some goblin spies over a dwarven ale or two. Just a assimilation of dwarf/world features in a goblin context.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 15, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »

Goblins are probably the easiest ones to mod because they are 0 upkeep and malleable to what the player raw edits, i have my own 'build' of a goblin centric DF edition i've talked about before that's balanced because turtling is punished by inevitable infighting. Alternative races are either so far out there or not really on the planned dev plan at all that its not worth worrying about too much and instead assimilate the new dwarf features in the alternative context.

Eh. That's really cheating though, goblins are kinda broken as-is due to not needing food or water. Thanks to Toady forgetting that we now HAVE goblin adventurers in vanilla, and some tosspots seriously overthinking the moral implications of what was clearly a workaround to older instances of carnivore civs starving themselves out (nevermind kobolds no longer seem to do that).

I've done similar. All the non-playable civs need site positions defined at a bare minimum. Which that out of the way, humans are easiest to mod in. Goblins less so if you want trading, but they at least require less fuckery to retain a functional trade and exports system than kobolds, because only caged animals will fail to affect imports, instead of EVERYTHING YOU SELL.

Kobolds are next on the list, for the reason mentioned above, plus more work is required if you want a more primitive experience.

Lastly, elves are legit fucked because you need to work around the "no way to get grown wood" issue.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 15, 2017, 01:00:52 pm »

Eh. That's really cheating though, goblins are kinda broken as-is due to not needing food or water. Thanks to Toady forgetting that we now HAVE goblin adventurers in vanilla, and some tosspots seriously overthinking the moral implications of what was clearly a workaround to older instances of carnivore civs starving themselves out (nevermind kobolds no longer seem to do that).

Trust me, its FINE. (Also the trolls & non-goblins that occasionally migrate/petition have to be fed and watered)

Goblins are so volatile & prone to killing anyone they remotely dont like that they will start fights & loyalty cascades all the time, hence why turtling in a confined space without a flow of half mangled (coming without eyes/legs) war veteran goblins is a bad idea, every goblin is disposable and the walls are smeared red for no reason other than a goblin flipping out at-least every month with 200 population.

That, and literally throwing 16 troop large squadrons of goblins at problems just to get rid of the annoying ones.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 15, 2017, 01:05:20 pm »

It's beena while since I've remade Goblin Gulag, didn't know they were loyalty cascade prone. o.O
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 15, 2017, 01:45:28 pm »

I thought elves actually had a reaction to create grown wood out of random seeds. At least that was reported from using a bugged save where the dwarves turned out to be elves at embark.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 15, 2017, 03:07:43 pm »

I thought elves actually had a reaction to create grown wood out of random seeds. At least that was reported from using a bugged save where the dwarves turned out to be elves at embark.

That's some legit heresy right there. No, reactions flat-out can't create grown wood. Hell, grown wood no longer even shows on embark screen if you make elves the playable race, when I could've sworn it used to.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 15, 2017, 08:46:03 pm »

goblins are kinda broken as-is due to not needing food or water. Thanks to Toady forgetting that we now HAVE goblin adventurers in vanilla, and some tosspots seriously overthinking the moral implications of what was clearly a workaround to older instances of carnivore civs starving themselves out (nevermind kobolds no longer seem to do that).

~~~

It's sad that I'm still convinced that the lore reason came after the now-unneeded gameplay reason. ;w;

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 16, 2017, 12:28:04 am »

goblins are kinda broken as-is due to not needing food or water. Thanks to Toady forgetting that we now HAVE goblin adventurers in vanilla, and some tosspots seriously overthinking the moral implications of what was clearly a workaround to older instances of carnivore civs starving themselves out (nevermind kobolds no longer seem to do that).

~~~

It's sad that I'm still convinced that the lore reason came after the now-unneeded gameplay reason. ;w;

...doh. See? I forgot that.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 16, 2017, 05:25:21 am »

Regardless I make them eat and drink in my games. I like to think that's an extra motivation for them. They not eating it's for some reason too much inmersión breaker for me.
Toady will fantasy "dials" or sliders affect species propieties in anyway? I mean, the most mudane of worlds would have elves without the magic and goblins eating? Or those races would be completely removed and only humans would remain at those settings?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 211