Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406470 times)

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1245 on: January 24, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »

What happens to an invading army when it retreats from the player's site? Do all surviving members head back home, teleport there or disappear completely?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 24, 2017, 02:17:38 pm »

So now that we will be able to send troops to find artifacts outside our fortress, will other fortress do the same while we are playing fortress mode? What about worldgen? Will our tavern be visited by groups of mercs, heroes and others passing by on their quests to retrieve artifacts? Will we face sieges or acute thievery if such artifacts are in our possession?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 24, 2017, 07:56:25 pm »

^That is indeed the goal, the roaming groups of npc recovery/theft/scouting are in game, the last bits of handling how they behave upon return, and handling how to send out your own groups is what he's working on now/next I think.
What happens to an invading army when it retreats from the player's site? Do all surviving members head back home, teleport there or disappear completely?
I'm fairly certain they hoof it back home the same way they came, from having followed invading armies en route, during, and after a siege.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 25, 2017, 01:53:10 am »

Food and recipes was part of the Taverns arc. But ended up being put off for time reasons but also because to do it justice it probably needed a working economy (it's right there in the dev notes...).

So coming....not soon, but eventually.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 25, 2017, 11:09:19 pm »

I'm not sure why recipes would require economy, though; wouldn't the civs and cities just use what was available to them?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 25, 2017, 11:15:36 pm »

I'm not sure why recipes would require economy, though; wouldn't the civs and cities just use what was available to them?

What about the value of food? Caviar, for example, is quite expensive because it is rare.  Think of changing food costs if strawberries were to become rare.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 25, 2017, 11:21:49 pm »

That's more about supply and demand in general, not about foods in particular. The game doesn't avoid implementing and putting a value onto gold and platinum, even if one of them is lot rarer than other.

Currently, both platinum and strawberries are handled same way - if the major site you're trading with can get one, you can import an infinite number of them.

And the rarity of strawberries has little to do with the existence of strawberry recipes - as long as there's at least some, you can do something with them. I imagine if more people encounter a given food in worldgen there could be more recipes procedurally generated for them, though, but current handling would allow for every possible recipe to have a chance to be learned.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:25:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:05 am »

Yes, recipes can be done without an economy of course, which is why the main reason was probably just time. However, the stuff which Toady presumably thought was most fun about recipes (who knows what that might be, sending out foragers for rare ingredients? tavern popularity based on a balance of great food and price? etc, etc) needs an economy to be much fun.

Same as actual in-game festivals, I guess. Sure, they don't need an economy just to happen, but as a goal for aspiring bards to finally bridge the gap between 'starving begger with a lute' to 'fantasy rock star', the lack of actual money related decisions in the world might make you wonder if it's worth delaying the next release to implement properly.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 26, 2017, 04:22:03 am »

Yes, recipes can be done without an economy of course, which is why the main reason was probably just time. However, the stuff which Toady presumably thought was most fun about recipes (who knows what that might be, sending out foragers for rare ingredients? tavern popularity based on a balance of great food and price? etc, etc) needs an economy to be much fun.

Same as actual in-game festivals, I guess. Sure, they don't need an economy just to happen, but as a goal for aspiring bards to finally bridge the gap between 'starving begger with a lute' to 'fantasy rock star', the lack of actual money related decisions in the world might make you wonder if it's worth delaying the next release to implement properly.

The hill dwarf arc will mean implicatively from past references, that dwarves will emigrate & trade with your fortress from the surrounding hillocks treating it as a 'market site' . So a dwarf caravan might not ever arrive if you are too far away (or take a number of years) & you have to push a portion of your starting two waves (presumably 7 of them) into founding the little sub-fortresses so that they trade the local goods.

So in order to get the more rare food you describe, or a wider variety of food, you might want to push the newly founded hillocks onto new biomes (unless there is a hard cap because of entity biome restrictions) to naturally gather the resources & give you a trading wagon from the hillocks every year to make up for the mountainhome caravan arriving only every 8 or so years etc.

> Social status (beyond that of normal noble assigned precedence) is a tricky issue thats been said to wait until the scenario or law/property etc. arc, but buskers, hopeless drunkards & beggars would probaly slot in at the lower ends of the spectrum and toady will probably find a way so that it relates to their life situation (homeless or calculating the economy wages they earn/don't earn in the local community to be in a lower income bracket etc.)

I've been back over some old FotF posts for a unrelated reason to find out some other information but i re-found some snippets from prior to the 42.01 tavern update which were interesting and i'd like to ask questions about.

> In prior comments a few months before the 42.01 update you mentioned a system of natural philosophers scribing down significant animal training level (jump from no knowledge to few facts etc.) as a way to progress & eventually surpass the hard cap of 'expert knowledge' and domesticate the species fully. Would this model of writing down milestones and then having a mooded book as a result be a good example of your current thoughts on future implementation of significant innovations created by scholars with impact to releasing features (such as new reactions etc.) into gameplay?

> Will the library & tavern 'Part 2' forseeably arrive at the same time on the roadmap when you are free of your current developmental focus or in seperate installments so you can focus on them indepth individually (providing a additional museum zone & unfinished new devgoals for museums might not mean that it is extended to a joint part 3)

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 28, 2017, 06:53:09 am »

Since the myth release will seemingly take a long time to finish, do you think that you will break it up into two or more releases?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 28, 2017, 07:10:58 am »

Since the myth release will seemingly take a long time to finish, do you think that you will break it up into two or more releases?

He has confirmed that in the past
In one of the conferences, he talked about an 'initial' stage of the update, that he'll put in before the second one

So yeah, he'll do that

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 29, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »

Once rumors are more thoroughly implemented, will the personality of people who witness an event affect the speed at which a rumor spreads? For example, if I hand off an artifact to a lord and his bodyguards are very gregarious, or lack a sense of duty, would they be more likely to spread the rumor than guards who had the opposite traits? On a related note, would relationship between witnesses and the people involved in an event relate to the speed at which a rumor spreads?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 29, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »

What is mog juice? What part of the moghopper does it come from?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 29, 2017, 06:32:35 pm »

I assume they just throw the whole moghopper in a blender.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 29, 2017, 08:04:03 pm »

I assume they just throw the whole moghopper in a blender.
Ooh, so you could choose how smooth you wanted it.
One mog juice - extra crunchy!

Edit -- Oh boo. Wiki crushes all my dreams...
Moghoppers can also be captured alive and have mog juice extracted from them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:06:23 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 211