Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406799 times)

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1275 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:59 am »

whoaa I didn't know planar exploration was on the table for the next batch of releases, I always thought that was a more distant goal.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 01, 2017, 03:01:20 am »

Well technically mechanics craftsmen aren't nessecarily scholars but do occupy the field and can take apprentices, but don't really frequent the workshop with any regularity, and only make breakthroughs as current when pushed into a library, maybe the museum will change this but we'll have to see how that pans out. Still a very interesting insight to how you'd go about doing innovations and such.

Ehh more broad range of apprenticeship opportunities (need to enrol cooper *barrel maker* craftsdwarf/carpenter apprentices to learn how to make a pot/barrel with double capacity etc.) or library assigned dwarves leaving & hanging out at their own workshops to do vital research, bringing the relevant materials over when they have a eventual idea on what to make often leading to funny looking failures of half botched decorative prototypes.
  • Question for toady, in the later stages of the artifact retrieval groups (post implementation when you might have the opportunity to polish them up/bugsquash or add new things for them to do) will we see the 'tactics' skill reserved usually for military commanders become useful? If you could trust someone to lead a siege & troops successfully, a masterful tactician might be able to co-ordinate some hand picked civilians to survive & approach a dangerous reclaimation target more easily.

> One more question related to the above. Are 'creatures' or dwarves with either natural/acquired sneaking skills (along like factors like size profile, time of day to do the deed etc usually in adventure sneaking menu detail) like civilian gremlins or veteran hunters any better than large creatures/soldiers who can just take the object by force quite bluntly, intimidating or fighting anybody that tries to stop them?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 01, 2017, 04:32:55 am »

Yeah, I think having camps linked to the default civ as a parent would cover a lot of the desired world-notification/etc behavior (probably end up with adventuring groups trying to raid our camps if we are known to have artifacts there, weee, good luck getting it behind nine firewalls tiles of open space with a pillar to jump out and grab) and I eagerly await seeing what sort of amusing things happen from units checking out their neighbor's bling!

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 01, 2017, 05:07:46 am »

whoaa I didn't know planar exploration was on the table for the next batch of releases, I always thought that was a more distant goal.
I thought so too.

Anyways thanks Toady!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 01, 2017, 03:16:12 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:12 am »

Thanks Toady

So mundane worlds won't have elves or goblins, but will they have dwarves? If not, will fortress mode even be playable, or will we be able to play as humans instead?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 02, 2017, 05:54:13 am »

My understanding is that a fully mundane world wouldn't support dwarves, as they rely on fantasy subterranean agriculture, and that you'd have humans only (in which case you'd have to play a human "fortress"). A guess is that there'd be a setting in between the fully mundane and the "normal" (i.e. current) fantasy setting where humans and dwarves existed, but not elves or goblins.
Assuming the above is correct, it would probably be a trivial matter to allow the player to chose between humans and dwarves in fortress mode under the normal setting, given that the fully mundane setting would require a fully functioning human "fortress" (and DF already supports playing non standard races technically by the addition of the appropriate tags, but since they haven't really been implemented for player use, those settlements do not function properly when played).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 02, 2017, 06:26:21 am »

I think at first, it'll just be adventurer until human sites are playable (meaning, actually playable, not just fake dwarves). To tired to Google fotf reply which mentioned this but it's out there somewhere. Of course the option to turn on humans with dwarf-like tendencies will still exist as a simple mod.

On the other hand (some other fotf reply) 'full fantasy', which also won't feature dwarves, may try to produce a similar underground fortress dwelling race so you can enjoy the site game with them.

Eventually all sites will be playable (and the concept of the 'site' may have evolved quite a bit).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:36:45 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 02, 2017, 09:09:58 am »

I think at first, it'll just be adventurer until human sites are playable (meaning, actually playable, not just fake dwarves). To tired to Google fotf reply which mentioned this but it's out there somewhere. Of course the option to turn on humans with dwarf-like tendencies will still exist as a simple mod.

On the other hand (some other fotf reply) 'full fantasy', which also won't feature dwarves, may try to produce a similar underground fortress dwelling race so you can enjoy the site game with them.

Eventually all sites will be playable (and the concept of the 'site' may have evolved quite a bit).

Building at the moment is a little unorthodox, a lot of raw materials without workshop multiplication (multiple blocks per resource) like what's on stone would mean you would need to embark on a large forest just to keep a bit of material to build a few wooden houses & a storage area aboveground thats covered.

The food systems like Patrick point out also rely on underground/overground muddy farms favours the underground for being very easy. Compared to aboveground that needs tricky water engineering (for novices or people without a plan anyway) just to get the mud down on the ground then use the crops before in the 3 months max of planning it might take, rogue hamsters dont bite through the wooden barrels.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 02, 2017, 09:14:08 am »

I hope with this good news we will have a release before september ! That would be cool.

Toady, with the artifact release, have you an idea of the future version number ? 

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 02, 2017, 10:20:34 am »

I hope with this good news we will have a release before september ! That would be cool.

Toady, with the artifact release, have you an idea of the future version number ? 

Well man, I hope we do actually get an update before that. It doesnt seem like he has much work left before finishing it

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 02, 2017, 10:45:00 am »

Presumably the next version will be 0.44.01 or 0.45.01 depending on how Toady weighs the big additions of the release.

And yeah, while the release is probably more than a month away, September is a rather pessimistic guess.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 02, 2017, 11:30:40 am »

With how inexplicably ambitious this release keeps getting, I'll be happy with a 2017 release, period. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 02, 2017, 11:35:36 am »

With how inexplicably ambitious this release keeps getting, I'll be happy with a 2017 release, period. o3o

My understanding is that Toady is between half and 2/3 done.  I predict a release before May.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 02, 2017, 03:57:56 pm »

September is a rather pessimistic guess.

There will be a group a release beginning in...July, I'd say, with some bugs, until it works. And I think this will be September when it will really work.
September is not so far, actually. If you add just one element "outside" of the Artifact arc (which is, frankly, not so unbelievable, is it ?), this is at least +2 months.
I'll be there to quote myself to prove I'm right ! :)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 211