Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406486 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1290 on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:20 pm »

Has Toady mentioned whether in the first iteration you'll be able to see the tact squads in action in some sort of remote window view or will they simply disappear off screen and then update you on what's happened when/if they later return?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 02, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »

September is a rather pessimistic guess.

There will be a group a release beginning in...July, I'd say, with some bugs, until it works. And I think this will be September when it will really work.
September is not so far, actually. If you add just one element "outside" of the Artifact arc (which is, frankly, not so unbelievable, is it ?), this is at least +2 months.
I'll be there to quote myself to prove I'm right ! :)
Eh, the guessing game always goes wrong for me. You can have this victory even if you don't have it. :P

Has Toady mentioned whether in the first iteration you'll be able to see the tact squads in action in some sort of remote window view or will they simply disappear off screen and then update you on what's happened when/if they later return?
From the dev page, it'll be the latter - the squad(s?) go off the map, and you'll get their tale when they return (or rumors on their fate if they don't).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 02, 2017, 11:42:28 pm »

Much obliged.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 03, 2017, 05:01:23 am »

Eh, the guessing game always goes wrong for me. You can have this victory even if you don't have it. :P

I know. It was just...well...actually I agree with Random_Dragon, but I try to be optimistic and to convince myself :)

Anyway, I can't wait with the sending squad option, this is the beginning of something much bigger I always dreamt to have in DF.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 03, 2017, 05:16:39 am »

in B4 massive tales of "sent 200 dwarves to slaughter elves, FPS skyrocketed! Game crashed when they returned!"

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:27 am »

That moment when your legendary skilled & adamantium outfitted artifact reclaimer ends up fighting and defeating the whole site, and because its incompatible torches the entire place. Adios thieving treehuggers.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 03, 2017, 08:14:59 am »

Thanks Toady

So mundane worlds won't have elves or goblins, but will they have dwarves? If not, will fortress mode even be playable, or will we be able to play as humans instead?

Dwarves as they presently exist are not based upon magic at all.  Elves rely on magic extensively to make items and homes, goblins need magic because they do not need to eat or drink and have the whole relationship with demons thingy at the core of their society formation.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 03, 2017, 08:48:55 am »

Thanks Toady

So mundane worlds won't have elves or goblins, but will they have dwarves? If not, will fortress mode even be playable, or will we be able to play as humans instead?

Dwarves as they presently exist are not based upon magic at all.  Elves rely on magic extensively to make items and homes, goblins need magic because they do not need to eat or drink and have the whole relationship with demons thingy at the core of their society formation.
The 'sliders' mentioned so far are "fantasy" and "danger". Lack of 'fantasy' will result in human only worlds with no magic or existing Gods. Fantasy at max will result in a crazy mess of random beasties. Neither will feature dwarves.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:08 am »

Thanks Toady

If you remove the eating restriction, it doesn't break goblins at all i find, in fortress play keep farming beak dogs / making prepared meals and it all balances out because goblins will consume alcohol they dont need to survive passively at the tavern for pleasure, they still need to sleep, get tired and emotionally distressed etc like any other being. So goblins can be made interchangably mortal very easily, its the elves who are really magic bigwigs with the whole grown stuff deal with the most to gain from magic or lose from a lack of it (though not to say the goblins high amount of negative spheres won't lend kinds of magic)
  • In which case you could probably nerf goblin raws immensely and just let spheres like [LONGETIVITY] as a alternative to [DEATH] sort things out with gods blessing the entire applicable race with benefits. etc. and obviously if said gods & supernatural factors aren't there they are either going to die quickly or be handicapped compared to strong races who dont rely on magic = humans.

Remove the sphere alignment of war (set to 512) from civs and just put in some either custom pantheon religion spheres (Thralldom, Torture, War, Fortresses, Disease) from the negative categories and as implied by what toady's saying the civ's magic (and relevant demon lord) will be influenced by that.
  • Goblins with blight or disease might be able to rot you via magic, given there is no generic opposite they might be able to heal their own kind (with natural high goblin disease resistances and recovery) etc. etc.

Levers are a little bit magic (no strings just a mechanism), as are strange moods like possessions. Just not directly magic. Humans can be spiced up with custom spheres but are mostly just generic war alignment tall goblins. (I like to use [AGRICULTURE] to imply that humans magicians might want to use their powers to water crops with related sphere of rain)

The 'sliders' mentioned so far are "fantasy" and "danger". Lack of 'fantasy' will result in human only worlds with no magic or existing Gods. Fantasy at max will result in a crazy mess of random beasties. Neither will feature dwarves.

Implying dwarves will be moved into the [SUPERNATRAL] category or whatever applicable tags / they'll be forcibly pushed into a non-supernatural scenario as slightly supernatural creatures or we'll have to play as another race (or observe glumly from legends)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 03, 2017, 08:59:15 am »

In the mythgen test everything had a 'fantasy' tag which indicated what levels of fantasy they would exist at. Don't see any reason it would change too much. Also makes it easy to tweak so that dwarves appear even in the most mundane worlds.

Maelum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:43 am »

Will the myth generated only be 1 version of events like in legends mode? or will other civs and/or races have their own version on how everything was created, with maybe a chance for some of the myths to be somewhat connected, showing that some of those events happened? (like 2 dwarf civs talking about dwarves or other creatures being created by the same thing, showing a connection between those 2 civs)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:58:02 am by Maelum »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 03, 2017, 09:52:20 am »

Will the myth generated only be 1 version of events like in legends mode? or will other civs and/or races have their own version on how everything was created, with maybe a chance for some of the myths to be somewhat connected, showing that some of those events happened? (like 2 dwarf civs talking about dwarves or other creatures being created by the same thing, showing a connection between those 2 civs)

If thats a question for toady, please highlight it in lime green please :)

(next to the right hand side of font size)

Maelum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 03, 2017, 10:02:57 am »

If thats a question for toady, please highlight it in lime green please :)

(next to the right hand side of font size)

ah, thank you!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:00 am »

Question hot off the press for Toady.

If we are going off bucket depth, 10 containment splashes (the kind carried in water buckets) of water is not even knee height but is enough to sustain vermin fish inside aquariums. Is collecting 10 water with one bucket's worth of water to fill up a aquarium the intentional target or was there originally going to be more/multiple buckets of water to perhaps support a creature that needs 40 contaminent water (a large aquatic animal for instance) representing 4/7th's or to fill it up to a certain/specified capacity

Just as a side note i sort of shill a suggestion change about this broadly in the last part on my suggestion thread -  Water liquid misc stockpile - Salinity, bags of salt & aquariums

Its funny, poke holes in full 50 unit dwarven booze barrels and you can flood a entire fortress off the product amount alone if its equivalent to water.
  • I know cages don't really simulate the conditions inside, but its still a pesky annoyance that specifically designating a watery aquarium then having large animals who can survive (or can only be stored in it) pass out and die from lack of air, so you couldn't do anything with them later like basically store/tame or even display them unless its in the cage which they were caught in (which will probably be full of 50+ contaminents of water anyway scooping up the 7/7 water tile)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 03, 2017, 02:07:32 pm »

So we are starting the Release Pool already?

Dibs on the Captain Releasepool name if we ever get super powers.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 211