Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406823 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1335 on: February 07, 2017, 11:25:20 pm »

1. Will players using the magic of the gods also have to deal with corruption? For example a priest of an ocean god's corruption might be that they constantly drip salt water from their body leaving a trail of saltwater wherever they go.

2. When the myth and magic update is released will gods be able to inflict sphere specific curses besides the werecurse and vampcurse? For example someone who profanes a god of fish could be cursed to become a scaly fish monster doomed to breath salt water instead of air for the rest of their life.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:27:11 pm by Beag »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 07, 2017, 11:49:47 pm »

1. Will players using the magic of the gods also have to deal with corruption? For example a priest of an ocean god's corruption might be that they constantly drip salt water from their body leaving a trail of saltwater wherever they go.

2. When the myth and magic update is released will gods be able to inflict sphere specific curses besides the werecurse and vampcurse? For example someone who profanes a god of fish could be cursed to become a scaly fish monster doomed to breath salt water instead of air for the rest of their life.

1)The Mythgen introduction indicated various side effects (such 'fading' and 'losing yourself') to using certain magic. And magic effects seem to be related to whichever God or force spewed out your race, so yeah.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 08, 2017, 11:54:29 am »

2) And Toady has said that more diverse curses would come eventuality, as the understanding of the gods and their interactions with the world progress. As usual, sounds good, no timeline.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 08, 2017, 08:29:36 pm »

Ok, I know that certain races might get racial magic from the god or force that created them but I have 2 questions about more available magic.
1. Will there be gods that any race can worship and receive divine magic from?
2. Will there be forces that any race can tap into with the proper training to cast magic?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:03 pm »

Why is DF slow? That is, how aware are you of the performance bottlenecks of the game? Do you as the developer have any special insights into what bottlenecks or weak links exist?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 08, 2017, 10:35:51 pm »

Why is DF slow? That is, how aware are you of the performance bottlenecks of the game? Do you as the developer have any special insights into what bottlenecks or weak links exist?
It's a combination of many things. Some of which is as simple as poor code which can be improved (certain bugs in pathing of flyers, pets, etc), some of it could be improved through experimentation in multi-threading (but not as easily as some people seem to think and not the big complex parts like pathing). Toady's talked about this a few times (and still people seem to believe he doesn't care, doesn't know what to do about it, is oblivious, etc).

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 09, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »

This may have been asked before, but I since dwarven squads will soon be sent off the map to recover artifacts, could we possibly see caravans sent from our forts to other destinations to expand trade, and bring back exotic goods (or get ambushed) and also spread and collect news and reputation information? I ask since plans were mentioned for adv mode characters to lead caravans.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 09, 2017, 10:20:11 pm »

This may have been asked before, but I since dwarven squads will soon be sent off the map to recover artifacts, could we possibly see caravans sent from our forts to other destinations to expand trade, and bring back exotic goods (or get ambushed) and also spread and collect news and reputation information? I ask since plans were mentioned for adv mode characters to lead caravans.
Hello New Person.
First thing thing first. "soon" or time frames in general arent a thing. ToadyOne admits he terrible at it. He has said thats a goal.  So it'll eventually happen. As is sending off 7 dorfs to start nother fort.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 10, 2017, 01:20:16 am »

According to dfhack, adventurers are all asexual. Is there any reason for this to be the case? It just seems sad that our retired adventurers will never marry and settle down. Especially now that some of them have dreams of raising a family and strong needs to make romance that us players just can't help them out with.

Far to the West is the Hairy Plain. Herds of frustrated elephant-man adventurers roam freely there...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:24:03 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 10, 2017, 01:27:07 am »

Adventurers aren't asexual, they're indeterminate, a special case specifically for adventurers. I'm pretty sure I actually wrote into gaydar (the script that you're likely using with DFHack that I wrote) something indicating that their sexuality is indeterminate at some point, hmm.

I'm guessing that it's not so much "asexual" as "the player will determine this at some point somehow".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:46 am »

Adventurers aren't asexual, they're indeterminate, a special case specifically for adventurers. I'm pretty sure I actually wrote into gaydar (the script that you're likely using with DFHack that I wrote) something indicating that their sexuality is indeterminate at some point, hmm.

I'm guessing that it's not so much "asexual" as "the player will determine this at some point somehow".
So, what are they when they're retired? Do they gain an orientation, or are they stuck with "adventurer"?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 10, 2017, 03:42:14 am »

They stay as indeterminate afaik.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 10, 2017, 07:55:50 am »

They stay as indeterminate afaik.
And does 'undeterminate' prevent retired adventurers from forming relationships and marrying?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 10, 2017, 11:04:30 am »

As far as I understand indeterminate means they behave as if asexual, and if that is correct, it will prevent them from forming lover relations and marriages (but should not prevent friendship or grudges).
A pure speculation on my part is that indeterminate is intended as a blank slate for the player to fill in, but the means to do so haven't been produced (or at least been provided).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 10, 2017, 03:54:24 pm »

Yeah, there's 0 indeterminate, 1 romance male, 2 marry male, 3 romance female, 4 marry female, they can be flipped in any combination with dfhack though I suspect having the first one active will disable the others from working, and generally units only have two of the romance/marry flipped in some combination. I remain both amused and terrified at the idea of df style combat system/reports ending up involved in romance, but having the option to start up romances and even attempt to insinuate yourself into the good graces of some site or civ ruler via marrying in, romancing the ruler, or whatnot with something like the values/emotions interfaces would be fitting with the new angle of spying and such coming in.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 211