Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411095 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1395 on: February 17, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »

There are 6 quality levels, artifact being the top, and there are two flags that directly control artifact behavior, one we call just artifact which keeps stuff like an axe from being used for tree cutting/butchering, and one we call artifact_mood which controls if items can be destroyed apparently, flipping it makes things indestructible, and I don't think it has to be flipped for all named items automatically, though books in a necromancer tower can handle having it dropped on them without being destroyed or damaged and sit in fires without falling apart last time I checked.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 18, 2017, 03:05:07 am »

Well, book burning is a common trope in literature, so they'll probably be downgraded to just named artifacts in the future. Books are fairly fragile

I suspect relics (specifically divine ones) will have odd effects if you break one, like producing everlasting fire, or making any tile that sorrounded it become a chasm ( and after some time, the new sorrounding tiles and so and so)
That sounds like the kind of stuff an adventurer should go talk a god to

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1397 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »

Yeah, I still am surprised that we are getting such ammount of npc action so soon
You really have to consider many many things when making them quite autonomous as Toady wants them to be. His dev. logs reflect this, and the bugs that come will surely be hilarious, but I wonder if everything will come out fine for the next release

Well i mean over the past couple major releases npcs have been becoming more and more active, even now there are people traveling around the world map finding work, hunting beasts, recaliming sites, building enw ones, and all that stuff while you play, so i imagine it will come out alright.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 19, 2017, 03:51:27 am »

Huh, I guess I hadn't asked it, so before I do the bug report I figured I'd put up an official check: is the "See Great Beast" need supposed to be fulfilled by talking to any historical figure, or was that a placeholder for a point where a unit can recognize that they are looking at a semi/megabeast type of critter? Similarly is there a specific trigger for the "See Animal" and "Wander" needs? I've never been able to figure out exactly why they end up fulfilled sometimes, being around animals and roaming in the middle of nowhere doesn't do it consistently.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1399 on: February 19, 2017, 02:35:38 pm »

SO toady, when will we be able to join new religions in adventure mode again and why was it taken out?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 19, 2017, 04:29:53 pm »

SO toady, when will we be able to join new religions in adventure mode again and why was it taken out?
No idea about why, but as to when, religion is about to get a massive revamp. Take a look at the dev notes. Nothing about the current religion system looks like it's going to survive.

What was the original system like?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 19, 2017, 04:33:09 pm »

eh, as of now, it doesnt serve any purpose besides roleplaying, so he probably didnt think much of adding that option for now

edit:plus what Shonai said, it'll surely get redone 'soon', as the myth/magic update is close to all religion-related stuff
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:38:01 pm by Rubik »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1402 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:03 am »

Non-magic related - will towns and the like have restricted, guarded areas where civilians and outsiders aren't allowed to enter? Treasuries, armories, or other vital structures.

Tying into that - will the guards of a group that controls the site have their own uniforms with specific symbols? Could allow the player to sneak past guards and so on.

I realize this would require a LOT of fine-tuning, i.e guards in a predominantly human town being suspicious if an animal person or goblin wearing a bloodstained uniform would show up demanding to be let in - even humans from another civilization would probably have to raise suspicions, as the game does keep track of different population infos regarding traits like skin, hair and eye colour.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »

I realize this would require a LOT of fine-tuning, i.e guards in a predominantly human town being suspicious if an animal person or goblin wearing a bloodstained uniform would show up demanding to be let in - even humans from another civilization would probably have to raise suspicions, as the game does keep track of different population infos regarding traits like skin, hair and eye colour.

If that last bit ever gets added, literally the first thing that'll happen is a bug report about a hearthperson getting attacked by their comrades because the player hit "randomize appearance without respecting population info" when creating a character. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 20, 2017, 03:40:47 pm »

~snop~

If that last bit ever gets added, literally the first thing that'll happen is a bug report about a hearthperson getting attacked by their comrades because the player hit "randomize appearance without respecting population info" when creating a character. :V

And after the bug gets resolved the players would instead wonder why there adventure always start with only one parent to find out they got a divorce because their dad didn't believe their mom that it was their child because of the random genetics.
Hello I'm insane!

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 20, 2017, 05:44:06 pm »

~snop~

And after the bug gets resolved the players would instead wonder why there adventure always start with only one parent to find out they got a divorce because their dad didn't believe their mom that it was their child because of the random genetics.

That would actually be pretty hilarious
I was also gonna say that it'd sad if all adventurers got divorced parents, but then I remembered that none of the adventurers we can play now have any family to soeak off, so it's alright

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 21, 2017, 02:00:25 am »

~snop~
~double snop~

That would actually be pretty hilarious
I was also gonna say that it'd sad if all adventurers got divorced parents, but then I remembered that none of the adventurers we can play now have any family to speak off, so it's alright

Well maybe we'll get the whole town not recognizing the player because of the artifacts that mess with the players looks, until the town just gets uses to the player's shenanigans.
Hello I'm insane!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1407 on: February 21, 2017, 05:20:10 am »

Lol, I didn't even think of potential early, hilarious bugs that could come from that. These are great.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 21, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »

Lol, I didn't even think of potential early, hilarious bugs that could come from that. These are great.

Hilarious, and hilariously stupid, bugs are why I play this game some days.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 21, 2017, 03:59:53 pm »

It is inevitable. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 211