Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406588 times)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1410 on: February 22, 2017, 02:40:00 pm »

Lol, I didn't even think of potential early, hilarious bugs that could come from that. These are great.

Hilarious, and hilariously stupid, bugs are why I play this game some days.

Sometimes I feel a bit anxious thinking about how the finished version of this game will (supposedly) have no bugs, and be perfected in most ways, without secret stuff for us to discover
Then I remember that botes, parallel universe travels, law and justice and real theology are things confirmed for this last version and I just feel okay

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 22, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »

Lol, I didn't even think of potential early, hilarious bugs that could come from that. These are great.

Hilarious, and hilariously stupid, bugs are why I play this game some days.

Sometimes I feel a bit anxious thinking about how the finished version of this game will (supposedly) have no bugs, and be perfected in most ways, without secret stuff for us to discover
Then I remember that botes, parallel universe travels, law and justice and real theology are things confirmed for this last version and I just feel okay
I can't think of many games that have no bugs despite being in "final" versions and costing actual money. Wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a long, long way away and they said they'll most likely continue working on it after version 1.0.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:25 pm »

Apologies for the double-post. Guess I'm in a slow time zone or something...

So, sites will have these 'invisible bulletin boards' of quests for npcs to pick up, right? Will retired player fortresses also get these? It would be nice to see my old dorfs going out artifact hunting by themselves while I'm away.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 23, 2017, 02:47:17 am »

Apologies for the double-post. Guess I'm in a slow time zone or something...

So, sites will have these 'invisible bulletin boards' of quests for npcs to pick up, right? Will retired player fortresses also get these? It would be nice to see my old dorfs going out artifact hunting by themselves while I'm away.

I hope there is an option when you retire an adventure, so if you want him to just settle down with his wife, DON'T JUST LEAVE HER WITH THE KIDS, BE THE BEST DAD.

*sobbing*
Hello I'm insane!

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:14 pm »

When I imagine a siege invader demanding an artifact in Dwarf Mode, I see it as the game pauses, you get the prompt (like a forgotten beast announcement) and you must accept or refuse the demand immediately.

Don't know if it's been said already, but if siege invaders demand an artifact, you should...
A) Alongside the demand prompt, be provided a rough status report on number of units, level of gear, and how screwed you may or may not be.
B) Actually be allowed a small amount of time between the demand and the actual player decision, allowing one to survey the invaders manually.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:13 am »

When I imagine a siege invader demanding an artifact in Dwarf Mode, I see it as the game pauses, you get the prompt (like a forgotten beast announcement) and you must accept or refuse the demand immediately.

Don't know if it's been said already, but if siege invaders demand an artifact, you should...
A) Alongside the demand prompt, be provided a rough status report on number of units, level of gear, and how screwed you may or may not be.
B) Actually be allowed a small amount of time between the demand and the actual player decision, allowing one to survey the invaders manually.
Realistically would you know how many enemy there are?
It would be fun if goblins bluffed. 'Fear me and my 300 trolls', but you can only just make out 6 or 7 coming over the hill in the distance. Do you hand over your artifacts? Stand and fight. 'Oops forgot to mention my hoard of dragons...'.

And, what if they just sent a messenger? "We'll invade you next week unless you hand over that fine chalk earring."

DF could do with being a bit more Fun these days. Being able to skip a siege you can't handle kind of makes it boring.

Now, handing over your artifacts and then being sieged anyway would be tremendously funny.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:42:46 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 24, 2017, 02:51:26 am »

As long as you can just raise the drawbridge to stop any invasion, this kind of message won't be very effective.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 24, 2017, 02:54:26 am »

@Kitsune: Given that adventurers' sexual preferences are undetermined currently, there's no risk/chance of kids being abandoned, and I don't see the upcoming release having any particular reason to address that issue.

Artifact threats: I would guess an artifact threat would be treated more like petitions are currently than how diplomats behave. With petitions you're notified, can bring it up and review it, and back out to do the background checks that are currently completely missing from the screen, before coming back to make a decision (and the current diplomacy stuff could do with a re-implementation, which will probably be done eventually, but I suspect artifact demand isn't touching the issue sufficiently to do it now).

@Shonai_Dweller: Was it a threat of selling a "hoard" of dragons to the fortress or to unleash a "horde" of them at it ;)?
And you're perfectly entitled to decide you won't hand over the chalk earring you've always hated out of spite to get your Fun, while another player can pay the annoyance off to get on with the covering of the surface with a charcoal floor.
However, I wouldn't mind if you refused/didn't respond and they withdrew their demand when they had breached the fortress as they figured they'd be a position to take both the artifact and the fortress at that point. Might be a bit tricky to implement a tactical evaluation of when the tipping point has been reached, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 24, 2017, 03:01:32 am »

Hoard. Goblins collect them like pokemon. 8)
Blame posting on phone on train at rush hour...

Well, hopefully there's a big hit to overall fortress morale/sanity for giving up artifacts, and not just for the maker. That would link nicely to the need to send out artifact recovery squads.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:04:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 24, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »

That'll have to start next month -- in a few days I'll be leaving for GDC. It was healthy for Bay 12 when I went there for the first time last year, so I figured I give it another go. I'll be back on the 4th, so there will be a delay on the monthly report and the Future of the Fortress reply.

Anyone hyped for DF2018 yet? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 24, 2017, 01:13:31 pm »

That'll have to start next month -- in a few days I'll be leaving for GDC. It was healthy for Bay 12 when I went there for the first time last year, so I figured I give it another go. I'll be back on the 4th, so there will be a delay on the monthly report and the Future of the Fortress reply.

Anyone hyped for DF2018 yet? o3o
By my crude calculations, we are probably actually getting this update on the first week of august, aprox.
and Im being optimistic but that's probably my need of an update talking for me
hey Toady, if you read this and it somehow, for some reason, the game gets actually updated in august, could you quote this post when the update is posted, it would make me very happy

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 24, 2017, 02:11:56 pm »

Maybe. I recall someone's guessed july, another's guessed september, and I've said I'll be happy if we get a 2017 update at all.

Place your bets, I guess.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 24, 2017, 06:21:57 pm »

@Kitsune: Given that adventurers' sexual preferences are undetermined currently, there's no risk/chance of kids being abandoned, and I don't see the upcoming release having any particular reason to address that issue.

~snap~

~snop~

I was more referring to the point at which it could happen, not saying it's next release or even close.

Maybe. I recall someone's guessed july, another's guessed september, and I've said I'll be happy if we get a 2017 update at all.

Place your bets, I guess.

I bet it will happen, some day, OVER THE RAINBOW!
Hello I'm insane!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 25, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »

Yeah, it was me. With the GDC thing and the textbook, I think that adds 1 month delay, not more ! So september is still my best guess :)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 25, 2017, 03:15:42 pm »

In before new year and we're still waiting for .43.06. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 211