Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412326 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1545 on: March 16, 2017, 04:24:37 am »

I asked and suggested the use of firearms before. There's nothing more dwarfy than a metal tube that vomits lead and breath fire, finely ornamented with the images of suffering elves and goblins under its own wrath.
Toady didn't like much the firearms back then. Recently I asked again about cannons in ships once we get there and he was way more open to it, but had reservations about how that would also imply land cannons and so on...
Regardless it might end up being fully modable one day. Currently it is but given there's a lot to be done for ranged weapons (reload time and other stuff...) it's somewhat weird.
So if I could answer you, cannons in ships are a very real possibility, on land maybe and handheld maybe not.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 16, 2017, 06:42:49 am »

I think the main thing is, Toady seems to not have much interest in gunpowder (right now). So while it's now within the grand scope of the 'super-everything fantasy world generator' that DF may one day be, it'll probably be quite a while yet (and since "short-term plans" seem to run to about 10 years from now, 'quite a while' could well be interpreted as meaning 'debatably within Toady's lifetime').
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:47:15 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 16, 2017, 08:27:40 am »

I asked and suggested the use of firearms before. There's nothing more dwarfy than a metal tube that vomits lead and breath fire, finely ornamented with the images of suffering elves and goblins under its own wrath.
Toady didn't like much the firearms back then. Recently I asked again about cannons in ships once we get there and he was way more open to it, but had reservations about how that would also imply land cannons and so on...
Regardless it might end up being fully modable one day. Currently it is but given there's a lot to be done for ranged weapons (reload time and other stuff...) it's somewhat weird.
So if I could answer you, cannons in ships are a very real possibility, on land maybe and handheld maybe not.

The idea that you could only put a cannon on a ship but not on land is too silly even for this game. Handheld cannons appeared first, since they are smaller and easier to forge. Artillery was later, and deployment on ships later still.

I expect gunpowder hasn't been implemented or talked about much so far because of problems with projectile weapons in general; the reload time of a longbow should be much shorter than that of a crossbow or cannon, which is why longbows remained in use after cannon were invented, and I don't know if this has been implemented at all. If everything has the same reload time, cannon would be absurdly overpowered relative to bows, even considering the possibility of explosions.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:48 am »

I expect gunpowder hasn't been implemented or talked about much so far because of problems with projectile weapons in general;
That and the lack of interest stated in the interview I posted not very long ago where he did actually talk about it.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:26 am »

I expect gunpowder hasn't been implemented or talked about much so far because of problems with projectile weapons in general;
That and the lack of interest stated in the interview I posted not very long ago where he did actually talk about it.

Wasn't that from about 2009? I imagine if you'd asked him about making a 64 bit version then he'd probably have shown little interest as well.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:57:44 am by Urist Tilaturist »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 16, 2017, 11:06:53 am »

And quibbling like this is why I brought up the oldest possible thing (that I'm aware of) that could be considered vaguely gun-like, instead of going straight to mentioning cannons, hand cannons, or arquebuses. :V

EDIT: I'm now annoyed that my browser's spellchecker recognized "quibbling" but not "arquebus." >.>
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:11:34 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:32 pm »

Well, even if Toady doesn't produce anything like gunpowder, I think that he can invest in "explosive reaction" or even "chemical reactions". After all, there are many ways to create "reactions", and gunpowder is only one of them. Let alone fictive woods who could very well burn and explode easily (like pines) when mixed with another thing...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 16, 2017, 03:34:48 pm »

And quibbling like this is why I brought up the oldest possible thing (that I'm aware of) that could be considered vaguely gun-like, instead of going straight to mentioning cannons, hand cannons, or arquebuses. :V

EDIT: I'm now annoyed that my browser's spellchecker recognized "quibbling" but not "arquebus." >.>

Fire lances are the oldest gunpowder weapons, but they're far from the only ones which would qualify at a late medieval technology level. In order to cut off at fire lances you'd be putting the date at 1100, not 1400, so goodbye full plate armour and 2 hand swords.

I actually wouldn't mind an early medieval mode with maille armour and 1 hand swords and spears. Viking age dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:42:20 pm by Urist Tilaturist »

For old times' sake.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 16, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »

I guess you're still experimenting with edge cases, but: What will squads do if they're questing when the fortress falls? Will they continue the quest until it's done before disbanding? Will they form a new group? Or continue questing together for other sites?

Also, NPC adventurers are wandering around the world picking up quests posted at sites, so (as an alternative to making squads out of your citizens) will it be possible for the player to also "post" quests that visitors will be able to pick up (possibly in exchange for a bunch of granite crowns or whatever)?

What I'd love to see is a bunch of mercs naturally picking up on rumours at the tavern about the quest you just sent a squad on and have them form their own band to try to grab the artifact quicker than your dorfs.

Bonus points if they hang out in the tavern the whole time then jump your squad the moment they get back. That would be awesome.

Are the various factions hanging out at the tavern going to cause problems when dwarf squads return artifacts? Because actually it would be very cool to see people killing each other over artifacts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:50:44 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1554 on: March 16, 2017, 09:30:10 pm »

About all blackpowder related tech, i'm pretty sure that there is near nothing in that vein that'll see implementation before both:
-'Alchemy' actually being implemented at all.
-Research "topics" and their associated skills getting a full first-work, such that they are more than flavorful placeholders, as they are now.
Both of these are rather far down the road, and questions being re-asked for the nigh-thousandth time should probably be saved until that's on the horizon, at least.
This probably isn't an inaccurate perspective, is it?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 16, 2017, 10:06:13 pm »

About all blackpowder related tech, i'm pretty sure that there is near nothing in that vein that'll see implementation before both:
-'Alchemy' actually being implemented at all.
-Research "topics" and their associated skills getting a full first-work, such that they are more than flavorful placeholders, as they are now.
Both of these are rather far down the road, and questions being re-asked for the nigh-thousandth time should probably be saved until that's on the horizon, at least.
This probably isn't an inaccurate perspective, is it?
It's mostly discussion with no questions for Toady so far. I think we all know not to bother asking silly stuff about the far future like 'Fire lances when?' in this thread.

Oh wait...

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 17, 2017, 12:19:27 am »

So when artifacts are implemented, maybe once the update just hits, you'll start with an encyclopedic knowledge of every single artifact. But later down the road, are there any plans to have to learn about artifacts before you can do things like ask about them? Will books written about artifacts teach player characters about new artifacts that exist in the world? Will cultures have artifacts important to them? Like if you grow up in The Union of Teaching or whatever, would a player character know all of that nation's important artifacts?

I'm just curious as to how the artifact system will work.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:46:36 am by Harpadarpa. »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:41 am »

@Harpadarpa: The convention is that questions to Toady are painted green or lime green so he can find them easier. Thus, if you want him to answer, you ought to update your post.

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 17, 2017, 02:47:02 am »

@PatrikLundell

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 17, 2017, 04:41:49 am »

So when artifacts are implemented, maybe once the update just hits, you'll start with an encyclopedic knowledge of every single artifact. But later down the road, are there any plans to have to learn about artifacts before you can do things like ask about them? Will books written about artifacts teach player characters about new artifacts that exist in the world? Will cultures have artifacts important to them? Like if you grow up in The Union of Teaching or whatever, would a player character know all of that nation's important artifacts?

I'm just curious as to how the artifact system will work.
I think Toady said last month or the month before that you'll only be able to quest for artifacts you actually know about. Knowledge spreads through rumours, so you probably wouldn't know about recently made stuff until you get visitors from those places talking about them at the tavern.

Have to wait for Toady's reply to find out how ancient artifacts work though. Maybe everyone knows about them.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 211