Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406825 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1575 on: March 18, 2017, 10:21:53 pm »

When you send squads out to other sites will they be able to conquer, pillage, or destroy the site the way armies do in legends mode, or will they only be allowed to steal artifacts
Artifacts only in this release. Killing is hard. (Last months fotf reply). They will fight if there's things to fight though.
Oh Ok. Add kidnap rescue missions and general raiding/mischief causing to that then. :)

Can't recall the last time a goblin kidnapper actually managed to kidnap someone except in worldgen.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:23:43 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 18, 2017, 11:19:36 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked,

Someone in the past suggested that the artifacts updates would involve the ability to give powers to items, like a sword of fire or amulet of extravision.  Is that actually something you want to do?  If it were implemented, should expect magic items to be only randomly generated artifacts or would it be possible to mass produce particular items, with or without modding? 

I seem to recall an interview where Toady mentioned that he liked the idea of explosives.  So maybe his plans for gunpowder would be more like the orc's explosive attack at Helm's Deep. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 18, 2017, 11:43:49 pm »

Someone in the past suggested that the artifacts updates would involve the ability to give powers to items, like a sword of fire or amulet of extravision.  Is that actually something you want to do?  If it were implemented, should expect magic items to be only randomly generated artifacts or would it be possible to mass produce particular items, with or without modding? 

I seem to recall an interview where Toady mentioned that he liked the idea of explosives.  So maybe his plans for gunpowder would be more like the orc's explosive attack at Helm's Deep.
Take a read through the dev notes and the interview posted today for info on magic in general.
(Yes. But not in the next release).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:38 am »

Now that you can send squads out on raids and kidnap rescue missions, are you going to go back and put these kind of missions into worldgen for this release so that npc sites can also send raids and rescue kids?
Turning up in town in the middle of an insurrection is a lot of fun as you work out which side to jump in on. But that's quite rare. Sites raiding each other while you wander about in search of new boots would add to the sense of stuff going on.

Also, edge case question:
I guess most missions will be finished in two weeks judging by the travel times you mentioned, but what happens if you send a player-fortress dwelling retired adventurer out on a mission and then unretire him? If the mission is still going on, will you teleport back to the fortress? Appear in the wilderness mid-quest?
I'm assuming missions carry on without you after you retire your fortress, of course.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1579 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:12 am »

As an eventual development, do you consider the approach of using more accurate temperature physics (heat of fusion/vaporization, specifically raw-able exothermic/endothermic qualities of a burning material, etc.) to quell the more disasterous (from a simulation standpoint) effects of hot temperatures,  or is the plan to implement some manner of hardcoded direct limitations to fire to accomplish that?

For elaboration, think like unstoppable wetlands rapid wildfire infernos caused by an errant fire or splash of lava, melting that does not stop when you submerge in water, "melting" being the primary damage when you burn instead of skin-fat incineration, not getting cauterized when you dip your fingers in lava, and being impossible to extinguish when set on fire in most situations.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:08:34 am by iceball3 »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:45 am »

I don't know how will it be done, but the (maximum) two-weeks long missions seems too short...i understand it's necessary and "realistic" but...well...Perhaps there is a a "mission-time" during which the squad will search, wander, question people, etc...which lead me to this question (three, actually)

- How long will it take for squads to "find" artifacts, people or any other thing you asked apart from the journey time ? Can it take days, weeks, or months ? Is there a limit of time after which they will turn around ?
for example, searching for someone in a big goblin city can be really long if you have to visit every lair and avoid patrols

- Does the type of equipments and general stats for the squad will have impact on their strength/resistance outside of the fortress ?
I don't want to send my full adamantine legendary axe fighters if they are about to die in a place I won't be able to have their stuff back...(and especially if they don't do better than a copper dabbler warrior)

- If a squad is destroyed, what will happen in regard to their stuff ? Will you see adamantine items put somewhere in the economy, or taken by our enemy as a war trophy, or in the next caravan ?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 20, 2017, 04:50:42 pm »

I don't know how will it be done, but the (maximum) two-weeks long missions seems too short...i understand it's necessary and "realistic" but...well...Perhaps there is a a "mission-time" during which the squad will search, wander, question people, etc...which lead me to this question (three, actually)

- How long will it take for squads to "find" artifacts, people or any other thing you asked apart from the journey time ? Can it take days, weeks, or months ? Is there a limit of time after which they will turn around ?
for example, searching for someone in a big goblin city can be really long if you have to visit every lair and avoid patrols

- Does the type of equipments and general stats for the squad will have impact on their strength/resistance outside of the fortress ?
I don't want to send my full adamantine legendary axe fighters if they are about to die in a place I won't be able to have their stuff back...(and especially if they don't do better than a copper dabbler warrior)

- If a squad is destroyed, what will happen in regard to their stuff ? Will you see adamantine items put somewhere in the economy, or taken by our enemy as a war trophy, or in the next caravan ?

Two weeks as in, the game skips two weeks when you unretire an adventurer. That's all. No-one suggested missions should be two weeks.

If it takes 18 days to walk the length of the world, I imagine a lot of missions will be finished within a month.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:19 pm »

"The odd time differences continue to cause trouble as usual -- on a medium map, going from tip to tip on a world-spanning crescent shaped continent takes ~18 days. So if there aren't weird interruptions (like your dwarf squad stopping for a bender at a human tavern), you can expect even the longest journies to be over in a month or so, which passes relatively quickly in fort mode. We might adjust the times a bit if it's too strange, but we'd like to keep everything as consistent as possible (since there are lots of non-player armies moving around the map at these speeds).  "

Source : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

18 days ~ 2 weeks.
Hence my question. The issue is the SIZE of the world.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 20, 2017, 05:27:32 pm »

I am hoping that black powder charges have some mining applications if they are implemented.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 20, 2017, 06:15:27 pm »

1. Would one cost to making a deal for magical power be that the person involved and all their descendants have to serve the entity the bargain was made with?
2. Would another cost of making such a deal for power be that the entity turns the person into a monster?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1585 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »

I am hoping that black powder charges have some mining applications if they are implemented.
There is the problem that explosive charges, that if it's affected area could compete with dwarven miners, the affected area would be HUGE. Unless dwarves were made to dig much slower through harder rock.
That said, lever operated blackpowder charges would be much more useful for breaching walls and floors remotely without having to finagle with cave-in nonsense, as well as for traps. You'd certainly have to measure it out so you could control just how much structural damage you're planning to do with these things, but I can imagine a fragmentation blackpowder charge would do some serious damage to a squad caught in a kill corridor.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:29 pm »

In the last FotF you said there would be "nothing fighty" for the missions yet. What are the "generic raids" spoken of in the 3/18 blog post? Is it just a hostile/negative diplomatic action?
*Anticipates loyalty cascades in foreign sites.*

That said, lever operated blackpowder charges would be much more useful for breaching walls and floors remotely without having to finagle with cave-in nonsense, as well as for traps. You'd certainly have to measure it out so you could control just how much structural damage you're planning to do with these things, but I can imagine a fragmentation blackpowder charge would do some serious damage to a squad caught in a kill corridor.
Also for breaching magma and water.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:41:12 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 20, 2017, 07:43:07 pm »

"The odd time differences continue to cause trouble as usual -- on a medium map, going from tip to tip on a world-spanning crescent shaped continent takes ~18 days. So if there aren't weird interruptions (like your dwarf squad stopping for a bender at a human tavern), you can expect even the longest journies to be over in a month or so, which passes relatively quickly in fort mode. We might adjust the times a bit if it's too strange, but we'd like to keep everything as consistent as possible (since there are lots of non-player armies moving around the map at these speeds).  "

18 days ~ 2 weeks.

It explicitly says that the mission would take over a month since the 18 days is one way, if you really read what you're posting.

Not only that, but that's a medium world; large worlds will take longer to cross.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 20, 2017, 08:22:59 pm »

18 days ~ 2 weeks.

It explicitly says that the mission would take over a month since the 18 days is one way, if you really read what you're posting.

Not only that, but that's a medium world; large worlds will take longer to cross.

Well, one month if you sent your squad to the other side of the continent; you may need to send them a lot closer. They would blink in and out of the fortress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »

In the last FotF you said there would be "nothing fighty" for the missions yet. What are the "generic raids" spoken of in the 3/18 blog post? Is it just a hostile/negative diplomatic action?
As mentioned in PC gamer, incidental fights will occur. You're not going to rescue children and artifacts with no-one noticing. I imagine 'not fighty' to mean specific combat missions 'go kill this Titan', 'go attack this bandit camp' and of course the future clash of armies type of 'fighty' which is still a long way off.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:53:02 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 211