Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406461 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1605 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:27 pm »

I developed many weird and useless skills as a child, like, will juggling while walking around on a bowling ball ever be useful? No, no it will not, and neither will knife throwing.

Still, the difference between "I am going to put this knife in the block right above the other knife" from say, 5 feet and 10 feet is very noticeable, while at 20 feet it's more a matter of "I want to put this knife in the block, and I'm going to try to see if it ends up right above the other knife" really, and out at 30 or more feet it's "I want to put this knife in the block" without much specification on where it lands. Using a bow or crossbow gives quite a bit more accuracy with practice and a stable target out to a good deal further, though I've only used a bow a handful of times I did carry a slingshot basically non-stop, and given consistent ammo shapes I could plunk a specific bottle sized target from a hundred feet pretty reliably.

I've never taken out a bird or squirrel, but have tried.

Hitting someone in the hand or shoulder or head at some distance if they aren't moving is one thing, if they're trying not to be hit then you're doing well to hit them anywhere, much less "I'm going to shoot their left ear off without accidentally sticking a bolt through their head" type trick shots.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:58 pm »

Death by caber throwing during a festival, your frail butterfly person adventurer walks by and SPLAT a enormous wooden log of a caber flies and crushes into you from the nearby festivity field.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:26:33 am by FantasticDorf »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1607 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:16 pm »

What's the point of being able to spit on people if you can't spit specifically in their eye?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1608 on: March 21, 2017, 09:23:01 pm »

What's the point of being able to spit on people if you can't spit specifically in their eye?
Make sure you do it with a good archery skill, or you might accidentally spit in their mouth instead.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:32 pm »

You spit at the human in the face, bruising the eye, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain.

Hopefully though, interactions like that will eventually get to be targeted in the same way attacks are, it's definitely important.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 22, 2017, 03:07:22 pm »

You spit in the goblins right eye

> It becomes enraged!!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 22, 2017, 04:50:27 pm »

Aiming personal missile throwers like bows and crossbows at specific body parts. A friend of mine is annoyed that we can aim melee attacks like that but we can't do it with arrows and the like.

That is actually realistic.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:31 pm »

Depends on circumstances, really. If you're sneaking along and see an animal or enemy to kill, you should be able to aim. I don't know what range I was shooting at the one day I did archery, but I was hitting a spot fairly consistently. Granted, I was missing my actual target, but I was missing it in one consistent direction, at one consistent corner. It's totally possible to aim when things are stationary.

There should be accuracy issues when shooting a moving target, but skill should mitigate them to a degree.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »

Once curses get revamped will there be more insidious curses such as a curse that doesn't seem to do anything at first but slowly turns the cursed person into a monster overtime?

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 23, 2017, 09:00:44 am »

As we get more procedurally generated things in our worlds, I noticed something:
at this moment, we have different musical instruments in the game, and every time you start a new game it takes a while to understand all of them, which ones are hand-held and which ones are stationary, what do you need to build them, which workshop will make the right piece...

It's "just" instruments by now, but when artifacts, expeditions, myths and, eventually, magical effects are added to the world, missing a small detail may have heavy consequences on your game.

Are there any plans to "streamline" the presentation of procedural content in future updates? Will it be easier to get a full list of all the things that are "different" in the specific world we are playing?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:42 am »

Now just imagine if monsters start getting randomly generated species names using in-game languages like instruments. Is that a forgotten beast? An angel? A titan? A megabeast? A civilized humanoid thing? Just some random critter? You'll never be able to tell at a glance again. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:37 pm »

Now just imagine if monsters start getting randomly generated species names using in-game languages like instruments. Is that a forgotten beast? An angel? A titan? A megabeast? A civilized humanoid thing? Just some random critter? You'll never be able to tell at a glance again. o3o
Except there'll be sliders so you'll never have to play like that if you don't want to.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 23, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

Ah, I just remembered something I meant to ask!

What exactly is required for a secret to generate a tower? It seems like an animate interaction+some number of zombies is it, but I'm not quite certain yet.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 23, 2017, 11:29:35 pm »

I developed many weird and useless skills as a child, like, will juggling while walking around on a bowling ball ever be useful? No, no it will not, and neither will knife throwing.

...yada yada...

But of course, there's also the argument that the Dwarf Fortress physics engine should be accurate enough to recreate the ending of Yojimbo. 

I honestly gave up on instruments immediately in that release.  Import and forget about it.  I just today realized that you can (and I assume have to) (B)uild certain instruments. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 24, 2017, 07:55:40 am »

Ah, I just remembered something I meant to ask!

What exactly is required for a secret to generate a tower? It seems like an animate interaction+some number of zombies is it, but I'm not quite certain yet.
The secret holder needs 50 zombies (or whatever animated critter they have) to be able to build the tower. (It's mentioned in this post and hasn't changed since.)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 211