Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406600 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1635 on: March 27, 2017, 01:01:30 am »

The kill_neutral:required ethic will probably make rescues tricky.

I think if they're snatched before becoming a histfig they go native, otherwise they maintain their name/ethics.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 27, 2017, 02:52:54 am »

The kill_neutral:required ethic will probably make rescues tricky.

I think if they're snatched before becoming a histfig they go native, otherwise they maintain their name/ethics.
Yeah. Combining some of the new mechanics, the whole squad could maybe argue their way into the dark fortress claiming they were all slave dancers. Then lead all the kids back home like the pied piper. Let their parents deal with Kill_neutral later. Ha ha ha.

What options do squads get for carrying out their tasks? Frontal attack only? Can they try to sneak into enemy sites like thieves, or undercover like the new spies do?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:04:17 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Liamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: March 27, 2017, 04:04:10 am »

Will the highest noble ever sit in his throne? Do some noble/administrator stuff other than dealing with diplomats? Act as a judge perhaps?

Will nobles ever be useful? Perhaps high-kingship needs good relations with other nobles(from other sites), which needs happy nobles which leads to getting paid taxes and gaining control over civilization armies?

Will dwarves stop their chores to give respect to a noble passing by, so that the player plainly sees where his noble is(as everyone freezes to bow), and to give an incentive to not make nobles and common folk interact? (With special burrows/districts? Because stopping work is bad.)

Will nobles ever have servants? Demand servants? Demand to be spoon-fed, washed, clothed, fetched, have their chambers cleaned etc. Mistreat their servants. Demand a bedchamber for their servants that's exactly 1/4th the worth of the nobles bed chamber?

Will adventurer be able to be a maid to an NPC noble and do all these things? Maybe whisper a couple of things in a kings ear starting a war? Will the adventurer ever be able to HAVE servants?

Will there ever be some special savoir-vivre the adventurer should follow when interacting with nobles, maybe randomized, civilization-based? A skill somewhat like dancing/singing, to bow the exact right way and speak the exact right way? Making the player invest in his characters cultural education if he wants to work for someone who pays more than peasants. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: March 27, 2017, 04:12:25 am »

Relationship between citizens and authority figures is right there in the dev notes for the 'legal framework and stuff' update(s).

That's not the next update (artifacts, coming "soon" plus 6 months of bug fixing, etc) nor the next one (mythgen, another year or so update plus 6 months bug fixing). Toady then wants multiple mythgen/magic releases, possibly in a row if everything works out the way he imagines it.

So, ask again in 3 or 4 years when he'll probably have started thinking about it in detail. Right now, the most likely answer is 'Yeah, sure, but no timeline'.

And add the suggestions to the suggestions page in the meantime.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:14:10 am by Shonai_Dweller »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1639 on: March 27, 2017, 06:15:08 pm »

The topics system as it exists, while a placeholder, does give a good preview of what functional systems our dwarves will pursue knowledge in in future implementations. However, it seems a lot of topics are comprehensive in the context of the real world, and do not much touch the fantasy word dwarves live in. Will there be expansion to cover more esoteric topics as systems and  "lore" becomes more developed and set in stone, or are such subjects considered "off limits" for dwarven philosophers and scientists alike?

Such subjects include regional alignment, regional emission epidemiology (evil rain, vapors, etc), meta-anthropology (beastmen of any type as well as other similarly esoteric humanoids),
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
subterranean biology, applied theology (concerning curses), mythological biology (megabeasts), diverse anthropology (goblins, humans, elves, etc), and many more I haven't accounted for, noting that the above list covers either currently existing or planned features rather than being new ideas.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »

Toady, when you are working on fort mode changes do you create a new fortress in game for every change to test changes or is there one saved game you work off of that has survived a few updates?
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 28, 2017, 01:50:18 am »

If dwarf civs have a claim on an artifact, will we see them go to war over it in the next update? Or will they continue the trend of not invading and send spies and thieves instead?
Or raiders I guess, if that feature is rolled out to npc civs.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: March 28, 2017, 06:28:01 am »

If dwarf civs have a claim on an artifact, will we see them go to war over it in the next update? Or will they continue the trend of not invading and send spies and thieves instead?
Or raiders I guess, if that feature is rolled out to npc civs.

Toady's already mentioned in pretty much in the early statements about this in the dev diary/biography. I've divided up the paragraphs so its easier to digest.

So yes, dwarves can go to war over personal/civilisation level disputes, but only if the civilisation leader (or persons with [MILITARY_GOALS] responsibilities like found on the dwarven monarch, are affected enough to want it back or take action) is able to.

1.Can villages/hamlets grow into towns?
2. If yes, what makes that happen?
3.Can a group that is not part of a CIV become part of one or create their own?
4.Can an adventurer become a lord of a CIV by claiming the rulers town as his?

Villages currently can transition into towns by building a marketplace and changing the type to that of the village. Normally how hamlets & villages interact is that the village is the larger "market" where the hamlets connect onto, when a hamlet is built, such as the starting settlement of the human civilisation is built that isn't already a village is made it will transform.

Groups that are not part of civs are a tricky question because there are currently no non-civs, even underground tribes are civs as to the question there is how non civ groups will be represented. Already a population of animalmen appropriate to the biome (elves attract migrations of animal-men from the wild) inside civs at the beginning of worldgen and adventurers drawn from animalmen can sign up for citizenship in your fortress. We probably wont see natural non-civ tribes or any interaction with these groups until the law & property arc based off FoTF replies.

Question 4 will probably turn up in the Law & Property arc. As current rules exist in claiming sites only by inheritance, actually saying (this site belongs to me because my late uncle owned it) without actually either being truthful or automatically assigned to the dwarf is something the law & property arc could cover, as well as owning multiple sites indirectly in a manner similar to how adventurers can claim a site after fighting the local lord and earn the title.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:18:57 pm by FantasticDorf »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:22 am »

Oh good.  :)

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 28, 2017, 07:41:33 am »

Thanks that clears a little bit up! However you say there aren't any non Civs, but in the legends viewer it does not say the groups my character created(when he took over sites) belong to any Civs. Just that they are groups. Are they actually Civs then?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 28, 2017, 10:15:49 am »

The missing adventurer-group parent links are hopefully something Toady will be able to just poke a couple bits and have them inherit the adventureres parent entity, and maybe at the same time or later have it be something you can decide: name your group > break ties with parent civ? (warning: this will limit interactions with the rest of the world until you establish your group on it's own merits) > etc.

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 28, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »

How quick dwarven "armies" are? (in world map) Can we send a raid party to distant settlement, then stop this attack in Adventure mode? (before two weeks will pass)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 28, 2017, 02:50:46 pm »

I assume they move normal army speed in adventure mode so unless you can cut them off with a head start, probably not. I imagine the movement rate during travel mode varying won't happen until boats and more regular river crossings are a thing.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: March 28, 2017, 03:47:38 pm »

Anyway, considering the speed of the squads (very fast, considering the "fortress time" !), boats will only make things quicker. You won't see your squad missing very long...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 28, 2017, 04:28:02 pm »

The topics system as it exists, while a placeholder, does give a good preview of what functional systems our dwarves will pursue knowledge in in future implementations. However, it seems a lot of topics are comprehensive in the context of the real world, and do not much touch the fantasy word dwarves live in. Will there be expansion to cover more esoteric topics as systems and  "lore" becomes more developed and set in stone, or are such subjects considered "off limits" for dwarven philosophers and scientists alike?

Excuse me while i just snip this so it's a teeny bit easier to read.

Such subjects include regional alignment, regional emission epidemiology (evil rain, vapors, etc), meta-anthropology (beastmen of any type as well as other similarly esoteric humanoids),
subterranean biology, applied theology (concerning curses), mythological biology (megabeasts), diverse anthropology (goblins, humans, elves, etc), and many more I haven't accounted for, noting that the above list covers either currently existing or planned features rather than being new ideas.

This bit can probably substitute a suggestion thread instead for toady to see (but i see what you're trying to say and personally i would support it) and already the book names are fluff assigned to categories, the magic system and magic spheres might elaborate on those fantastical titles ("How to build a better servant, a study in animorphism"). And most of the things you are saying sound like something that could work in general fiction. Until toady really sets sights on revising or adding more book classifications as a main or sub objective of a arc i can imagine this doesn't have a specific timeline.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 211