Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413226 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1695 on: April 06, 2017, 08:48:14 pm »

Are there ever going to be improvements to combat the FPS death that claims all forts eventually? And if so, when do you see yourself doing that?
Well ToadyOne does do optimization through out. Its how they manage to keep roughly the same performance as the game goes on. This is also kind of a opaque veil. We dont know how much of an impact, if any, any new features have at first. We dont know how much they improved, if any.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 07, 2017, 01:07:33 pm »

When do you think you will complete the new update?[color]
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 07, 2017, 01:28:15 pm »

When do you think you will complete the new update?

When it's done. Toady doesn't give specific answers, and rarely even general ones, to this sort of questions because too many people take a vague comment as a promise set in stone, and then get disappointed when the "promised" date isn't met. Things happen, like snags encountered, tangents embarked upon, etc. which makes a target date hard to hit, unless you're planning to be ready way ahead of the target and manage to curb the desire to just add one more thing. Toady also knows he's got the rather common tendency to be a bit of a time optimist.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 07, 2017, 01:46:52 pm »

When do you think you will complete the new update?[color]

DF2018 hype. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 07, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »

Golly gee! Look at that progress report:

Quote from: Toady One
I'm balancing out abstract equipment strength numbers and working more with the post-worldgen raid/battle code, since it wasn't really geared toward smaller numbers of well-equipped player dwarves fighting at sites. That'll merge in with the reports they give when they return, which is the next project.

I probably misunderstood this one, but will this somehow improve current post-world gen battles that happen in different sites? The game currently treats a 3 goblin skirmish and a full fledged 1500 goblin invasion like kind of the same deal in offloaded sites, and they usually end when just one of the attackers dies (which is funny in thousand-goblin cases). Also, will these interventions on foreign sites appear like invasions in Legends Mode, regardless of intention and outcome? Such as "this is part of the Conflicts of Scratching", and so on.

Tangentially related (but not quite), what essential differences exist between visitor (performer/scholar/mercenary) and invader code, besides hostility and intent? Can our exploits be considered "visits" at some point?
There is something weird with post-worldgen visits and it is the clutter generated in the Legends Mode site entry, I don't know if this has been acknowledged (or is currently a bug) and this might sound a bit suggestion-y, but is there a possibility to get more detailed entries regarding visitors (such as what where they doing, what was their initial intention and/or if they were able to make a residence agreement)? If there's no room for those details in Legends Mode, how hard would it be to implement a cull feature, similar to what we currently have for lesser brown events within the Age sub-menu?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 07, 2017, 10:50:48 pm »

Bandit harassment and kobold raids don't appear in Legends as conflicts, so I don't suppose dorf raids will either.

Raids are not war. War is a result of repeated raids annoying the raided side.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:58:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 08, 2017, 01:46:40 am »

The idea of a 10 man squad of dorf shock troopers encountering some of the forces I've seen running around in my high-natural-skill-discipline worlds and sending them running is amusing, and while I've accounted for the defeat of a nearly 5000 strong force with a modded adventurer, more vanilla ai controlled units vs the 8000 strong army I saw rampage around for centuries recently is another matter.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 08, 2017, 05:42:06 am »

Bandit harassment and kobold raids don't appear in Legends as conflicts, so I don't suppose dorf raids will either.

It might be supported in the case of invoking a larger conflict, given that toady's already sort of stated that he's started a war all by himself with a local human civ just by raiding a site.

"Cogs of Scaling" - "The reasoning for war was in response to a aggressive attack by a expedition party from the 'bronze rope'

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 08, 2017, 08:15:50 am »

It might be supported in the case of invoking a larger conflict, given that toady's already sort of stated that he's started a war all by himself with a local human civ just by raiding a site.

"Cogs of Scaling" - "The reasoning for war was in response to a aggressive attack by a expedition party from the 'bronze rope'
Sure, you can start a war with raids. Just as you can start a war by killing merchants and stealing artifacts. Was just saying that those initial happenings aren't given named wars in legends.

You send a raid. They declare war and send an invasion of a few hundred troops. You realize all you can do is turtle and send more little raids. Ha ha. Oh well...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 08, 2017, 10:50:45 am »

Loyalty cascades are a bug that happens when a unit is both a member and enemy of a group. They'll get fixed eventually.

There are ways this is actually a feature, for instance sub group rebellions can throw a snap revolt (which is basically what a loyalty cascade is when dwarves start fighting & friends pick sides) and gain a new leader if the revolters win.

With guilds and such in the future we might see more civilian 'groups' in the future within the fortress or the government change if pre-planned/named loyalty cascades work within the fortress to take over the site.
Well, I guess they have gotten better lately. It used to be that your entire fort would fight to the last man.

Loyalty cascades aren't a bug or a feature, they're an emergent consequence of the way group loyalty is currently implemented. As dwarf social interaction gets fleshed out/revised, the loyalty cascade (as in a single act of violence immediately triggering a civil war that's not resolvable except through complete annihilation of one side, with no reconciliation possible) will disappear.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 08, 2017, 11:15:43 am »

Yeah I like the loyalty cascade. Makes it feel more real.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 08, 2017, 07:17:18 pm »

Totally, I remember one time one of my friends tripped over my cat so I flipped out and beat him to death, then when his relatives started coming after me, my friends and I hunted down his family to the last surviving member.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 08, 2017, 11:02:22 pm »

See, it was inevitable.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 09, 2017, 01:12:32 am »

I think it's one of the happy side effect of controlling a race of not-quite-humans. The bugs in their behavior can be attributed to them being dwarves not humans, giving them personality. It also allows for better narrative, because they can be big drama queens and everyone is ok with that.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 09, 2017, 05:01:19 am »

Not everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 211