Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406599 times)

PureAwesome

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Fortifier
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1725 on: April 15, 2017, 01:11:25 am »

As far as the discoveries and scholarship system goes: Are there any plans for actively harmful discoveries? E.g. bloodletting which can end up harming your Dwarves, or a philosophy of nihilism which ends up making them morose if they think about it? Or even Lovecraft-style Forbidden Knowledge which drives the reader insane?

This sounds exactly like the beginning of a non-magical rehash of the "can we randomly learn spells that blow up the whole fort" argument. Do we really need a long derail on the relative merits of giving the RNG the ability to drive scholars insane?

I don't think this is on the level of RNG blowing up the fort. I would expect that learning Forbidden Knowledge would require a rather specific set of circumstances (e.g. reading from a necromancy book) rather than just being "busy thinking about philosophy... oops I just went insane!"

Anyways, I'd still like to know about the other things. Minor negative knowledge which can be cancelled out with further research. I don't feel like this is as crazy a question as you are making out out to be.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 15, 2017, 06:22:02 am »

I expect that eventually only reading a book would not suffice to become a necromancer.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 15, 2017, 10:04:25 pm »

What's in store for socializing? Will dwarves ever visit the zoo, again?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »

What's in store for socializing? Will dwarves ever visit the zoo, again?
Stock question 378
"Will xxx bug ever be fixed"?
"Ever is a heck of a long time. Bugs are not meant to happen and will therefore be fixed. No schedule."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 16, 2017, 02:29:49 am »

Will dwarves ever visit the zoo, again?
This kind of question is almost always fruitless to ask, unless ToadyOne is working on part of the game that directly impacts it. Bugs get fix with every release. And presumably the game will eventually reach a least bugged state with whatever bugs that you personally like to see fix.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 16, 2017, 06:16:24 am »

We can send non citizens to adventures? I want to recruit a hobbit for my merry band of dwarves to go and reclaim... a pretty stone from a flying lizard.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:48 am »

We can send non citizens to adventures? I want to recruit a hobbit for my merry band of dwarves to go and reclaim... a pretty stone from a flying lizard.

Unlikely with the current, that is unless you want to rephrase that into "can we bring long-term residents & adventurer types (mercenaries/bards) with us on expeditions?" though it seems that you are in charge of the people that you manage to rescue generally, akin to the dev-blog's comments about saving that human child, but that might be false if they just become long term non fortress resident types once you bring them back.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 16, 2017, 11:46:32 am »

"Ever is a heck of a long time. Bugs are not meant to happen and will therefore be fixed. No schedule."

Lots of bugs have been around for a long time, so "Will xxx bug ever be fixed"? is a sign that someone isn't that confident about that bug being fixed at all.

See prior sentiment on my part that an increasing proportion of updates lately have included new, exciting, bug-inducing features, with a side order of an opinion that at least a few more "nothing but bugfixes" updates would be desirable.

And if I start hearing that "oi blyat he does bugfixes" argument again I'll have to find the post where I listed and summarized the last several updates in a row, and how the majority of them introduced AT LEAST one new feature that caused additional bugs.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 16, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »

What is the time-frame for weaponry resizing automatically as clothing, shields and armour do?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 16, 2017, 03:13:50 pm »

What is the time-frame for weaponry resizing automatically as clothing, shields and armour do?

On that end, will equipping a bigger sword give me more Dakka?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 16, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »

Lots of bugs have been around for a long time, so "Will xxx bug ever be fixed"? is a sign that someone isn't that confident about that bug being fixed at all.

See prior sentiment on my part that an increasing proportion of updates lately have included new, exciting, bug-inducing features, with a side order of an opinion that at least a few more "nothing but bugfixes" updates would be desirable.

And if I start hearing that "oi blyat he does bugfixes" argument again I'll have to find the post where I listed and summarized the last several updates in a row, and how the majority of them introduced AT LEAST one new feature that caused additional bugs.
And?
The answer will still be, 'sure no timeline'. This isn't the 'vent your frustration at Toady thread'. Mentioning this now just saves people waiting a month in the deluded hope that a detailed reply outlining the intended bug fixing periods for the next 30 years is coming.

Use the bug tracker if you think something needs to be fixed that perhaps he doesn't know about.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 16, 2017, 05:56:01 pm »

On that end, will equipping a bigger sword give me more Dakka?

It should already, since an objects mass is taken into account in damage calculations like for blunt attacks
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: April 16, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »

Armour resizes automatically?
In my games you can't wear armour that's too big or too small. It's described as 'large' or 'small' armour to let you know. How are you getting it to resize?

Unless you just mean fat dorf can wear thin dorf's shirt?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 16, 2017, 06:20:44 pm »

Pretty sure GC meant a troll's short sword being bigger than a dwarf's short sword, as an example.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 16, 2017, 06:24:16 pm »

Pretty sure GC meant a troll's short sword being bigger than a dwarf's short sword, as an example.
Oh, civs producing weapons according to their size like they do with armour? I see.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 211