Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406786 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1740 on: April 17, 2017, 04:04:44 am »

Can we choose specifically how our squad will approach a mission? 'Sneak in, sneak out', 'Make friends, nick their stuff', 'all-out attack', etc? Or will dorfs decide for themselves?

Also,

Can we choose what we want dorfs to aim for (besides artifacts)? Not so important for vanilla, but I imagine stealing steel weapons from nearby dorfs could be part of a modded human civ play strategy.

And,

While working through the coding of leaving and returning squads, did you come across the reason for any recent bugs? "Sieges" that dissapear instantly, sieges that don't end, disappearing caravans, etc?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:10:33 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 17, 2017, 06:41:53 pm »

Going back to the fake identities mechanic, if we visit a retired player fortress and claim to be someone we're not, if I then join the fortress and retire which identity will I see on the retired adventurer if I play that fortress? Does he get the full vampire fake name and background? Just a fake name? Nothing at all?

Just musing on rp as a spy ideas. Kind of Fun for Succession Worlds if you don't recognise the legendary cheesemaker as one of the other players.

--Damn, sorry. Didn't notice I posted 3 times in a row. I'll shut up now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:08:06 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: April 19, 2017, 09:17:46 am »

Is there plans for NPCs to be able to start up new Civs after world gen?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 19, 2017, 11:12:48 am »

I believe it's intended to eventually have sites freeing themselves from their cruel overlords (or whatever causes them to become unowned by any civ currently) either join existing civs or form their own (or get conquered by an existing civ, as they have no parent to support them). It will not happen in the near term, though. It might get touched on when starting scenarios or property and law are addressed, but then only if it's either easily done or part of required stuff, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:41 pm »

1. Will adventure mode eventually include options for the player to live a more peaceful life if they so choose such as taking up a profession?
2. Once the myth and magic update is released would magical creatures who procreate by converting other creatures into their species be possible?

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 24, 2017, 07:16:51 pm »

2. Once the myth and magic update is released would magical creatures who procreate by converting other creatures into their species be possible?

That's actually how night trolls work in-game currently! During worldgen at least. Hopefully we'll see things like that happen during play when m&m comes out.

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 24, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »

As far as the discoveries and scholarship system goes: Are there any plans for actively harmful discoveries? E.g. bloodletting which can end up harming your Dwarves, or a philosophy of nihilism which ends up making them morose if they think about it? Or even Lovecraft-style Forbidden Knowledge which drives the reader insane?

This sounds exactly like the beginning of a non-magical rehash of the "can we randomly learn spells that blow up the whole fort" argument. Do we really need a long derail on the relative merits of giving the RNG the ability to drive scholars insane?

I don't think this is on the level of RNG blowing up the fort. I would expect that learning Forbidden Knowledge would require a rather specific set of circumstances (e.g. reading from a necromancy book) rather than just being "busy thinking about philosophy... oops I just went insane!"

-snip-
Honestly, I think this could be interesting. Like maybe you'd have to be careful when picking your scholars. If you pick someone who's particularly impatient, maybe forcing him to basically stay in the library 24/7 might lead him to writing books with negative philosophies, that make your dwarves unhappy. This would require you to take some interest in your scholar's desired lifestyles, and such.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:05 pm »

1. Will adventure mode eventually include options for the player to live a more peaceful life if they so choose such as taking up a profession?

Dev notes. Settle down, build a farm/run an inn, raise a family.

That and 'bard' is pretty peaceful right now. More so when you can convince enemy civs you're on their side in the next release. (Requires festivals to move out of worldgen into 'real life' to be a bit more feature complete though).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:06:35 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 28, 2017, 04:05:33 am »

The latest development report, 04/27/2017, described the post mission report, but it's a bit confusing. It seems to be a report viewable only post mission (and thus not during the mission), but on the other hand it talks about viewing things in real time. Does this means we bring up the report after the mission and a "video" is played out where a line grows with events appearing on it as the playback rolls on? If so, would you have to sit through it several times if you wanted to look up details later, or is it played out once and you then can access the various notes?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 28, 2017, 04:35:48 am »

I imagine you'd just step through it, same as the world map in legends, but 1 day/hour at a time.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:48 am »

The way it is shaping I suppose plays into the limited hive-mind role you have in fortress mode.

I thought it was going to be a verbal report recited by the dwarves if they returned. And if you sent a squad leader who is prone to lying you might not be given the real reasons they failed to bring back the artifact left sock (terminally side-tracked at the first foreign tavern). But then it would be a question of who exactly they're reporting to. Expedition leader? What if he was on the expedition? Maybe the fortress population as a whole.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 28, 2017, 06:53:31 am »

Yeah, it's better than the wall of text the human diplomat brings with him that everyone ignores. It assumes they reported to someone, and we get to see a summary of what's now 'known' by the fortress in an easy to understand format. Sounds good. Hopefully can replace diplomat reports at some point too.

Still leaves room for false reports at a later stage too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:55:49 am by Shonai_Dweller »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:50 pm »

Would dwarves on a mission outside the fortress can getcurses from defiling temples or being bitten by vampires and werebeasts?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: April 29, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »

I thought it was going to be a verbal report recited by the dwarves if they returned. And if you sent a squad leader who is prone to lying you might not be given the real reasons they failed to bring back the artifact left sock (terminally side-tracked at the first foreign tavern).

It would be funny if you could send all your most unscrupulous dwarves on a mission and they just go on vacation or something instead and lie about it when they get back.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 29, 2017, 08:30:11 pm »

I thought it was going to be a verbal report recited by the dwarves if they returned. And if you sent a squad leader who is prone to lying you might not be given the real reasons they failed to bring back the artifact left sock (terminally side-tracked at the first foreign tavern).

It would be funny if you could send all your most unscrupulous dwarves on a mission and they just go on vacation or something instead and lie about it when they get back.
Not sure if it's going to get done this time, but dev notes on squad reports include rumours if squads get delayed or wiped out.

Might be fun to send out another squad to find the first one. Include your hammerer to persuade them out of the tavern and back on track. :)
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 211