Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406659 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1785 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:12 am »

1.How do you plan to enable more skills in adventure mode, future release?Skills like animal trainer or some farmer skills would make adventure mode even more interesting.
2.Seems magic is implementing,will their be aquatic civ?

1. Those skills are not in the short term yet, so you won't receive a definite answer. Animal training could be implemented as soon as we have rideable horses, and farming might be something that comes up with the revamped economy, but we'll have to wait several years until that happens.

2. Magic won't be fully implemented during this first pass (and even then we don't know when this first pass is going to happen). There aren't any plans or mentions yet of aquatic civs, and we would need boats for their interactions to be meaningful, so a couple of releases will happen before they become a thing.

I imagine that pathfinding and water pressure will also need some work to have underwater palaces that air-breathing adventurers can visit.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 10, 2017, 06:47:36 pm »

1. We can't raid our dwarf-civ but we can attack other dwarf-civs?

2. If yes we will see dwarves siege our fortress in retaliation?

3. we can aim on our own retired fortress from another civ?

4. If yes we could try to raid a retired player fortress on the other side of the word that takes more than 2 weeks to cross and then unretire it and try to defend from invaders? 

It would be a funny succession fort.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 10, 2017, 08:31:08 pm »

Toady just answered no.3&4. Although I guess there might be an update by the next fotf reply.

4. If yes we could try to raid a retired player fortress on the other side of the word that takes more than 2 weeks to cross and then unretire it and try to defend from invaders? 
We haven't handled the fort receiving artifact raids yet -- hopefully we'll get to that this month!  Depending on how that turns out, you might end up with something more diplomatic, or the dwarven band trying to sneak in.  A generic fort-sent raid often ends up being sneaky, due to the numeric differences, and we haven't handled that sort of thinking for attacks on player forts yet.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:32:53 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 11, 2017, 01:37:27 pm »

Thanks a lot for your awesome work on a truly Masterpiece Toady!

A few questions :

1 : Will you start working on squad formations and managements anytime soon? Right now if you are lucky you can send a squad to a position and everyone appears there, but the squads leader does not put any dwarves into any strategic formation and you get the feeling that the positino as a squad leader is not really in use at the moment.

2 : Goblins are able to "ambush" and hide, your own dwarves does not seem to have such an option when you set them to train or patrol an area. Any chance this could be changed?

3 : Right now world interaction between fortresses and other entities (civilizations etc ) is limited , will it be possible in the future to manage these interactions from what your dwarves knows about the other entities and Ie send diplomats , caravans or even soldiers to help / interact with these other entities? I do understand artifacts will be possible to capture or find by sending your dwarves, but It would be really nice to interact even more with the rest of the world and hence the position of certain positions such as kings , commanders and so on would make even more sense...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: May 11, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »

@malvado:
1: No. There's the upcoming artifact arc and then magic. That should make up all of the "soon" time. Squad management and the like would fit better into military, which is not on the radar yet (develoment notes, but not any semi planned future).
2: Sure, at about the same time as 1... Whether that particular mechanic will be included, and, if so, it will make it in then or later, remains hidden in the mists of future.
3: Yes, but not soon. Those things are related to laws and property (and customs) as well as to trade, which are quite some way off.

Of course, anything may happen to appear sooner than currently expected because of a whim/side project or a need for some mechanic to support some features that are nearer in time.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 11, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »

@PatriktLundell  :)

Thanks for answering.
So all that's left for me then is to hope Toady can do something with these things in a future update ( hopefully soon ).

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 12, 2017, 09:34:21 am »

1) Will artifact thieves in fortress mode enter the map with intuitive knowledge of their target's specific storage location, or will they sneak around until they happen upon it? If the former is true, will the existence and accuracy of such information depend on reports by affiliated agents who witnessed the artifact during prior reconnaissance operations?

2) How are artifact thefts/dealings handled when the artifact in question is walled off or otherwise inaccessible?

3) What about cases where a hostile quester's target artifact is in a resident's inventory? Are there plans to utilise adventurer mode's mugging mechanics here?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 12, 2017, 10:19:59 am »

1. The "Current Development" note 05/06/2017 mentions the option to go to the tavern to get loose lipped inhabitants reveal the location and then the options of demanding the artifact or leave the tavern and then try to sneak in (see my question above) if they don't have prior knowledge of its location.
2. Given that sneaking will always fail in any semi decent fortress, they may resort to violence and fail (since that won't help) or demand to have it handed over.
3. Sounds like a good way to perform the violence option.

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 12, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »

1. The "Current Development" note 05/06/2017 mentions the option to go to the tavern to get loose lipped inhabitants reveal the location and then the options of demanding the artifact or leave the tavern and then try to sneak in (see my question above) if they don't have prior knowledge of its location.

The way I interpreted the dev note, residents can reveal the presence of an artifact at a site, but there's nothing there that indicates that they also reveal the artifact's precise location within the site. My question focused on the latter; I was wondering whether thieves arrived with the ability to home in on their target, or if information-gathering mechanisms have been implemented to facilitate the search in a more realistic manner.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 12, 2017, 07:32:36 pm »

Afaik, an artifact seeki g tavern going quester guy would not just instantly go into ambush mode like a theif or kidknapper. They'd just be exploring your stockpiles and wandering into places they don't belong. They have subterfuge instead of stealth.

I guess until they try to leave pulling your artifact platinum floor hatch out of the ground in your main wellhouse would get caught. But some artifact bone figurine or gold ring in a bin somewhere? They should just pocket it and wander off the map.

Silverbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 14, 2017, 11:51:23 am »

Here's a common one: It's been almost a year since the last published update.  Are you aiming for an annual release?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 14, 2017, 01:30:59 pm »

(Lime) green is the Toady question indication.
Toady has indicated that a 1½ year interval is a bit too much, and a year is more palatable.
I doubt you'll get much of an answer, though, because there's a tendency for people to take a vague "Yeah, sort of a year, give or take" answer as an iron clad signed in blood promise to release at the one year mark at the latest. Following the development reports it looks like "around one year" seems like a likely target for Toady, but there is always the risk of hitting a snag and getting delayed, or making good progress so just another small thing can be added, and get delayed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 14, 2017, 01:40:53 pm »

Here's a common one: It's been almost a year since the last published update.  Are you aiming for an annual release?

DF2018 hype.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 14, 2017, 05:20:03 pm »

(Not sure if any of these questions have been asked but if they have feel free to skip them)

With the new magic system will there be ways mod in races with specific inborn magical skills?  Such as telekinesis, mind reading, shape-shifting, ect.
Will the ability to learn and use spells be open to any race or will you be able to define a race that is unable to use 'active' magic.

Also one question to relating to the stuff you've been talking about in the last few FotF reply... (feel free to ignore it)
Will there ever be some sort of modable, perhaps RAW level, file that allows us to add in custom site types (DARK_FORTRESS, CAVE_DETAILED, ECT.) by means of some very basic tile-based RNG thing so we could make a completely new civ type or monster layer?

(The last one I ask because I think it be awesome if we could define a civ type that lives like in underground beehives like structures or great cities that are just one huge tower...  Though if it is something that was being thought about it probably be a long while before we get it)
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: May 14, 2017, 07:58:31 pm »

I'm sure some variation of this has been answered, so anyone answering is appreciated if he has already done so.

The latest post made on the front page notes that questers can simply ask you for an artifact.  You noted that saying no could start fights and send invasions, but is there going to be any actual benefit from giving them the item, other than to appease them?  Will friendly civs grant you bonuses, or send troops to aid you, sell you stuff for cheaper, or anything like that? 

I always liked to horde artifact stuff (we're good dwarves), even if the items seem pointless like an artifact toy, so I would just tell them no so I can keep them.  If this triggers more FUN invasions, then its just a positive to tell them no.  I love invasions
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 211