Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406761 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1800 on: May 15, 2017, 12:29:54 am »

I'm sure some variation of this has been answered, so anyone answering is appreciated if he has already done so.

The latest post made on the front page notes that questers can simply ask you for an artifact.  You noted that saying no could start fights and send invasions, but is there going to be any actual benefit from giving them the item, other than to appease them?  Will friendly civs grant you bonuses, or send troops to aid you, sell you stuff for cheaper, or anything like that?

For this release? No. Eventually. Sounds good, no time line.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 15, 2017, 01:53:01 am »

Sounds like we'll have literally no reason to ever give filthy elves our shitty adamantine socks. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 15, 2017, 02:47:41 am »

I'm sure some variation of this has been answered, so anyone answering is appreciated if he has already done so.

The latest post made on the front page notes that questers can simply ask you for an artifact.  You noted that saying no could start fights and send invasions, but is there going to be any actual benefit from giving them the item, other than to appease them?  Will friendly civs grant you bonuses, or send troops to aid you, sell you stuff for cheaper, or anything like that?

The upcoming release will "just" add artifact quests to the current DF, so the only reasons to give up artifacts in that release are to retain trade (such as it is, but some people like tame giant [war] animals, for instance), stave off invasion and role playing.
However, a fairly distant future has laws and customs as well as (meaningful) trade and warfare. It's reasonable to assume your civ's/fortress' standing in the eyes of other civs/sites will affect how they treat you. You can see this artifact "trading" as one building block in the path towards a future with more meaningful interaction with the surrounding civs/sites.

@Random_Dragon: "ever" is a rather long time... If Toady plugs along for another 20 years I think you would find reasons to give up artifacts. Depending on the strength of your prejudices, you might even stoop so low as to do it to elves ;)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 15, 2017, 04:53:19 am »

@Random_Dragon: "ever" is a rather long time... If Toady plugs along for another 20 years I think you would find reasons to give up artifacts. Depending on the strength of your prejudices, you might even stoop so low as to do it to elves ;)

Technically In this case I mean in the next version there'll never be a sane reason to give away artifacts. But even that's hyperbole a bit, since not getting sieged is sometimes useful if your fort isn't a proper hellhole. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 15, 2017, 05:46:03 pm »

What if you are being offered two artifatcs forma the onr you have?
Or you are offered 100 elven slaves?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 15, 2017, 07:08:16 pm »

Here are some questions about a more peaceful life in Adventure Mode:
1. Will our adventurers eventually be able to marry people and have children?
2. Will low income property eventually be available to our adventurers for purchase such as the small houses the villagers in hamlet's live in?
3. Will our adventurers eventually be able to buy empty plots of land in a civ and be allowed to build their own structure on said plot?

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 15, 2017, 07:09:07 pm »

Will they offer anything?  Or just demand?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 15, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »

1. Will our adventurers eventually be able to marry people and have children?
2. Will low income property eventually be available to our adventurers for purchase such as the small houses the villagers in hamlet's live in?
3. Will our adventurers eventually be able to buy empty plots of land in a civ and be allowed to build their own structure on said plot?
Sounds good, no timeline.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 15, 2017, 09:27:02 pm »

I have my doubts that any offers will be made, given current assumption is you have little reward for giving up an artifact. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 15, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »

I think we really need a new dftalk so Toady can speculate a bit more about things that are planned/would be cool to try in the far future. Pretty much everything asked over the past couple of pages has been mentioned at some point, but a lot of it is so far off it's pointless asking for specifics in this thread. And most of the speculation is scattered throughout the internet making it only really possible for the obsessive stalkers to find out everything. Not that I'm a...never mind.

Still, it'd probably be ignored, and this thread will continue to be full of, 'will peasant armies ever storm your fortress in search of food?', 'how about cannons?', 'will goblins sell recipe books on how to best stew a hippy?'
Can't be helped, it's an exciting game to speculate about. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:34:08 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 15, 2017, 10:19:47 pm »

Still, it'd probably be ignored, and this thread will continue to be full of, 'will peasant armies ever storm your fortress in search of food?', 'how about cannons?', 'will goblins sell recipe books on how to best stew a hippy?'

Or minor annoyances like cannibalism being broken, or headgear having no option for covering the face or neck, or recipes being FUBAR in adventure mode, or not being able to flag other workshops as buildable in adventure mode, or Toady having handled giant desert scorpions in the worst way possible... :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 15, 2017, 11:21:28 pm »

Or minor annoyances like cannibalism being broken, or headgear having no option for covering the face or neck, or recipes being FUBAR in adventure mode, or not being able to flag other workshops as buildable in adventure mode, or Toady having handled giant desert scorpions in the worst way possible... :V

Funny that you write about face protection, because I was going to ask something about the masks currently in-game that can be outfitted in Arena Mode. So if this has been answered before feel free to step in, but why are those masks currently disabled in both Fortress and Adventure mode?

Impressive as it may be, this option is currently implemented in-game and, best of all, it's currently free! There's no need to pay a single copper coin if you want to build a wilderness settlement, even though most of the current zone designations have little to no use and it takes plenty of people to construct something meaningful in a few days (you know, just like an actual fortress). One of the best uses I can think for these sites is creating bridges so your inept companions can cross rivers at ease.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1812 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:59 am »

So if this has been answered before feel free to step in, but why are those masks currently disabled in both Fortress and Adventure mode?
IIRC masks are only used by goblins in vanilla DF.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 17, 2017, 02:23:52 am »

Sounds good, no time. SGNT. Thats such a SGNT questions. Maybe best to just say the words.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 17, 2017, 12:33:31 pm »

(Not sure if any of these questions have been asked but if they have feel free to skip them)

With the new magic system will there be ways mod in races with specific inborn magical skills?  Such as telekinesis, mind reading, shape-shifting, ect.
Will the ability to learn and use spells be open to any race or will you be able to define a race that is unable to use 'active' magic.

Also one question to relating to the stuff you've been talking about in the last few FotF reply... (feel free to ignore it)
Will there ever be some sort of modable, perhaps RAW level, file that allows us to add in custom site types (DARK_FORTRESS, CAVE_DETAILED, ECT.) by means of some very basic tile-based RNG thing so we could make a completely new civ type or monster layer?

(The last one I ask because I think it be awesome if we could define a civ type that lives like in underground beehives like structures or great cities that are just one huge tower...  Though if it is something that was being thought about it probably be a long while before we get it)

A bit of SGNT here, but still there's time to answer:

1. Nobody knows how the magic release is going to play out, so we'll have to wait and see. Coming up next is the Myth & Artifact release, which are important in how magic will be defined, but won't have a lot of magic going on, at least not much more than what we already have. The fantasy slider might have something to do with what you're saying, the less mundane it is the more astounding creatures we will get, probably some with innate magic.

2. As above, we'll have to wait and see how magic learning sorts out in a given world or, at least, in the core game.

3. This one sounds more like a suggestion rather than a question. The idea would be us being able to add all sorts of stuff from the ground up using the RAWs, but right now the kinds of structures that are available are pretty limited, so maybe in a few releases down the way we will. Just maybe.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 211