Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406541 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1815 on: May 17, 2017, 05:21:31 pm »

Ok to clarify an earlier question of mine:
Will we eventually be able to buy plots of land in sites and be allowed to build structures on said plot?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 17, 2017, 06:15:16 pm »

I think no matter what the intent of the last answer was (not sure if it was meant to say "you're not looking hard enough" or if it's meant how I'm taking it) you can take away the fact that there's already the beginnings of that in the game and it will probably be expanded on and implemented in the future. SGNT though the general arc for it would be the Property/Law arc plus the Economy arc, if they're separate.

ETA: I keep track of that sort of thing too because I'm keenly interested in being able to use crafting skills to play an economy focused character, like a blacksmith who works his way out of the apprenticeship, smiths for a while to build up a fortune, and then turns into a corporate overlord who owns multiple forges in different towns.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:17:23 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 17, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »

Will we eventually be able to buy plots of land in sites and be allowed to build structures on said plot?
1) This is a suggestion. Use the suggestions forum.
2) Dev notes:
Mansions for sale
Renting/buying cottages and other properties

Buying property is planned. Building stuff has already begun to be implemented. Property rights are part of the property rights release (post magic, probably 5-6 years from now).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:17 pm »

This might be complicated by the fact that you currently can just walk out and build on any region that doesn't count as owned, and also isn't a lair or cave.

The real instance where this "buy some land" idea would shine is if it can be used to add a limited form of constructing in hamlets and other sites. However, I could've sworn technical issues with hamlets where mentioned as an additional reason why you can't yet build in town, even if you own the town (which oughta entirely preclude the whole ownership problem).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:15 pm »

This might be complicated by the fact that you currently can just walk out and build on any region that doesn't count as owned, and also isn't a lair or cave.
Once land rights are established, whoever owns the land you build your hut on won't be too happy about it.

I imagine you'll be able to get away with building randomly in wasteland areas though (especially ones where it rains blood).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:46:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 18, 2017, 03:17:32 pm »

Once land rights are established, whoever owns the land you build your hut on won't be too happy about it.

I imagine you'll be able to get away with building randomly in wasteland areas though (especially ones where it raid blood).

*The frogman husk is enraged*
hippity hoppity GET OFF MA PROPERTY
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 18, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »

*The frogman husk is enraged*
hippity hoppity GET OFF MA PROPERTY

Urist McAdventurer cancels build cabin: interrupted by dat boi.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 20, 2017, 05:49:46 am »

Although the (hopefully next update) linked up ties to the civ parent of your adventurer groups might cover it, will there be other ways for the world to become aware of artifacts you stashed in your campsite?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 20, 2017, 06:22:40 am »

Although the (hopefully next update) linked up ties to the civ parent of your adventurer groups might cover it, will there be other ways for the world to become aware of artifacts you stashed in your campsite?
Knowledge of artifacts spreads through rumours.

Go to the nearest town and tell someone about it, that rumour will spread.

Walk through a town while holding the artifact before heading to your hut and people will spread rumours about you having the artifact. If an npc adventurer who knows that rumour figures out that you own a hut he'll eventually go there.

One way to have Fun is to steal an artifact, stash it in your hut, then go visit the civ you stole it from, take on a fake identity and tell everyone you meet where the artifact is. Then you can go home and await invasion.

If all the systems work as Toady's explained them, all that should work out ok.

Seems like it will be pretty unlikely that anyone will find out about the artifacts in your hut naturally unless a spy randomly walks right through your camp on the way to somewhere.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 21, 2017, 12:05:43 am »

I more meant like if they will be aware of the location, as right now there is the missing awareness of it as belonging to your parent entity so people only note if they are directly told someone is there/killed there, versus knowing it exists as part of a given civilization's children entities via normal information dispersal.

"Last summer the hammer of gold founded a new fortress called Bridgewilted..." type of stuff, "...and I passed the cabin of one of our explorers out in the northern forests, I think they called it Songspiral?" where we could go out and tell people about our tavern or library or whatnot.

Right now it's only "I heard soandso killed a dragon last month" "oh, where are they? I think they're in Songspiral" type info.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1825 on: May 21, 2017, 05:50:36 am »

Will we be able to lie to the invaders and redirect/distract them?
"Nope, sorry, you're a week late, unfortunately. It's a real shame, but, as chance would have it, we've just had the Horn of Undulating Phlegm stolen last week by those damn humans from the Clanging Spandex. Very rude of them! I'm sorry you've come all this way, but you'll have to go and poke them with your shiny sticks. You look very tired, could I interest you in some tea?"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 21, 2017, 06:20:59 am »

Will we get an indication of the size of the invading force when we go out to hear their demands?

Nervous gorlak: Surrender the artifact platinum thong or face our wrath!
Sceptical dorf: Who's wrath?
Nervous gorlak: Our...hordes are ready to overrun your fortress...they're camped just behind that rock.
--nervous kobold-like twittering is heard from behind the woefully small rock.
Sceptical dorf: I think we'll take our chances. Bye.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:53:21 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 21, 2017, 07:39:40 am »

Will surrendered items count as exports? Stolen items? Will items our raids bring back count as imports?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1828 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:05 am »

Will we get an indication of the size of the invading force when we go out to hear their demands?

Nervous gorlak: Surrender the artifact platinum thong or face our wrath!
Sceptical dorf: Who's wrath?
Nervous gorlak: Our...hordes are ready to overrun your fortress...they're camped just behind that rock.
--nervous kobold-like twittering is heard from behind the woefully small rock.
Sceptical dorf: I think we'll take our chances. Bye.

'Our arrows will blot out the sun!'
'... Look at that vomit.'
'Next to the rotting head or the one next to the dismembered puppy?'
'Yes.'
'I thought that was the Dwarven idea of diplomacy.'
'That's how long it's been since I last saw the sun.'
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:59:39 pm by WordsandChaos »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 21, 2017, 09:50:26 am »

Intimidating armies with lots of beasts is on the roadmap, it'd be reasonable to assume that it adds extra legitimacy to how scary you are if you bring a lot of valuable animals along with you on your journey or with your army.

+ Intimidating leader holding the discussion preferably expert and very good with persuasion
+ Lots of war animals
+ Lots of troops

= Good chance of emitting a fearful response to just hand over the coveted object without bloodshed
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 211