Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406632 times)

Hartsteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1830 on: May 21, 2017, 03:52:51 pm »

About diplomacy: Will there be orders from the capital to be followed (e.g. paying taxes [food, coins, metal,...]) and restrictions to be watched (e.g. a hamlet is only allowed to fish a fixed number of raw fish / only to mine a fixed amount of metal ore / cut down a fixed number of trees - unless the king gets a noble gift to set the number higher)?   

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 21, 2017, 04:57:47 pm »

as long as invaders have no way to dig in your fortress or destroy drawbridges, i don't see why would anybody give artifacts to anyone...even with a ton of animals or troops.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: May 21, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »

About diplomacy: Will there be orders from the capital to be followed (e.g. paying taxes [food, coins, metal,...]) and restrictions to be watched (e.g. a hamlet is only allowed to fish a fixed number of raw fish / only to mine a fixed amount of metal ore / cut down a fixed number of trees - unless the king gets a noble gift to set the number higher)?   
Fortress diplomacy in this case is focused entirely on artifact claims for starting/stopping wars and upsetting other folk.

Relations with the parent civ is still a way off (it's part of the releases after the mythgen/magic releases which are up next after this artifact release is complete).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 21, 2017, 05:00:54 pm »

as long as invaders have no way to dig in your fortress or destroy drawbridges, i don't see why would anybody give artifacts to anyone...even with a ton of animals or troops.
It's handy for those playing mods without drawbridges and featuring vastly more lethal beasts than goblins. And it'll be useful in the long-term when we try to build non-military sites.

Also handy if the dwarven caravan has disappeared and you're relying on humans for trade. Better to give them an artifact sock than go to war (if slightly less Fun).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:03:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Hartsteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: May 22, 2017, 02:02:42 am »

Fortress diplomacy in this case is focused entirely on artifact claims for starting/stopping wars and upsetting other folk.

Relations with the parent civ is still a way off (it's part of the releases after the mythgen/magic releases which are up next after this artifact release is complete).

Thanks for the info! Do you know, if there is a plan to connect artefacts with noblesse (artefacts as crown and scepter are natural candidats)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: May 22, 2017, 03:43:21 am »

Thanks for the info! Do you know, if there is a plan to connect artefacts with noblesse (artefacts as crown and scepter are natural candidats)?
I don't think anything specific has been mentioned, but it's a reasonable assumption as the new artifact claims are owned by families. It'd be reasonable to expect a royal family (if such a thing were to exist after the society releases) to pass down artifacts like crowns or maybe the royal pigtail socks...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 22, 2017, 07:53:44 am »

I expect the artifacts creator to tantrum hard if an artifact is handed over.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 22, 2017, 08:27:11 am »

I expect the artifacts creator to tantrum hard if an artifact is handed over.
I'm hoping losing an artifact (to theft or diplomacy) would upset the whole fortress. That'd give some motive for sending people out on recovery missions. Toady mentioned fortress-wide trauma for abandoning rescued children so perhaps something similar?

On the other hand it's tricky. Ensuring everlasting peace with rich human traders by gifting an artifact might be cause for celebration, not despair.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: May 22, 2017, 09:00:28 am »

Artifact gifting (in its various forms) is not artifact destruction. Masterwork creators do not fall into shock when their creations are sold (after that bug was fixed).
Creation of an artifact that's gifted to another entity for the good of the fortress should not cause shock and despair in its maker. I can easily accept of a maker with specific traits (insular, hating elves/humans/goblin/..., mistrustful of foreign cultures, etc.) might be unhappy, but that should be on individual grounds. A vain dorf might be elated to have the masterpiece being shown to the rest of the world...

Theft of artifacts currently results in heavy shock, I believe (I've never let Keas in far enough to get at any artifacts, so I don't have first hand experience), and there's not any reason for that to change.

Hartsteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 22, 2017, 02:48:27 pm »

I don't think anything specific has been mentioned, but it's a reasonable assumption as the new artifact claims are owned by families. It'd be reasonable to expect a royal family (if such a thing were to exist after the society releases) to pass down artifacts like crowns or maybe the royal pigtail socks...

Good to know. Just that I understand right, to have an artefact in your {i}nventory does not count as possession, right? You have to tal{k} to someone specific to make the claim for the artefact (similar to the claim of sites)?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:50:16 pm by Hartsteen »

JahldeVautban

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »

Hey ! Some questions regarding the update of the 20th of May (hope none was already asked, if so, forgive me, I'm new there).

As you mention negociations, will it be possible to trade/exchange the requested artefact?

If so, will it be possible to ask for something the attacking army/civ don't currently have (like another artifact) or a specific task (kill that dragon), the attacking army sending then a group of soldier to fulfill the demand?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 22, 2017, 04:43:37 pm »

Good to know. Just that I understand right, to have an artefact in your {i}nventory does not count as possession, right? You have to tal{k} to someone specific to make the claim for the artefact (similar to the claim of sites)?
No idea if you'll be able to claim an artifact for yourself. Not much point right now since adventurers don't have (and can never have) families. Take it and it's yours (until someone stronger than you comes looking for it...).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 22, 2017, 04:54:04 pm »

Hey ! Some questions regarding the update of the 20th of May (hope none was already asked, if so, forgive me, I'm new there).

As you mention negociations, will it be possible to trade/exchange the requested artefact?

If so, will it be possible to ask for something the attacking army/civ don't currently have (like another artifact) or a specific task (kill that dragon), the attacking army sending then a group of soldier to fulfill the demand?

Negotiations will be with the smaller groups and individuals. Will be interesting to see if they offer anything in return (perhaps only 'good relations' for now).

Armies surely aren't going to offer you anything (except your lives if you're lucky).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 22, 2017, 05:06:42 pm »

Armies surely aren't going to offer you anything (except your lives if you're lucky).

Depends if they are just passing through the neighbourhood or on business i suppose. Id like to relinquish some of thier loot & spare supplies and if im playing a particularly ethically dubious race maybe i can exchange some of my own slaves for some of theirs captured from their raid.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: May 22, 2017, 06:24:14 pm »

Depends if they are just passing through the neighbourhood or on business i suppose. Id like to relinquish some of thier loot & spare supplies and if im playing a particularly ethically dubious race maybe i can exchange some of my own slaves for some of theirs captured from their raid.
An army that's crossed the world and is about to attack you that demands your artifact socks because the ruler of the nation has decided they belong to his family aren't just "passing through".

And if we're to interpret the question as not being about the latest devblog update and actually about some far future version of diplomacy, then sure, SGNT.

The thought of a passing army of 500 elves just turning up at your site, setting up camp then indulging in idle chit-chat and artifact trading is pretty amusing though.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:41:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 211