Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406672 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1845 on: May 22, 2017, 07:17:05 pm »

Will non-dwarven player entities have different civ-mode raiding actions? Goblins raiding for slaves/babies; Kobolds doing general thievery, with the option of them attacking enemy forces directly, or doing it stealthily.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: May 22, 2017, 08:11:44 pm »

Will non-dwarven player entities have different civ-mode raiding actions? Goblins raiding for slaves/babies; Kobolds doing general thievery, with the option of them attacking enemy forces directly, or doing it stealthily.
Yeah, it would be a nice easter egg to see goblins civs replace "rescue children" with "swipe children". I imagine 'general raid' is the same as what kobolds do now.

Other than that, players won't have options on how to carry out their missions only 'get this artifact', 'general raid' and 'rescue children'.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:56 am »

snip
snip
The thought of a passing army of 500 elves just turning up at your site, setting up camp then indulging in idle chit-chat and artifact trading is pretty amusing though.

I meant it more as a sort of free opportunity to actively give charity, say if a army has run out of munitions and you're the nearest friendly site to resupply, so the leader wanders in and ask for a petition to speak.

(what does SGNT mean? I've not heard the phrase before)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:10 am »

I meant it more as a sort of free opportunity to actively give charity, say if a army has run out of munitions and you're the nearest friendly site to resupply, so the leader wanders in and ask for a petition to speak.

(what does SGNT mean? I've not heard the phrase before)

The opportunity to act as essentially a FOB for allies would be interesting, though probably not on the to-do list for a long time, if it's on at all.

However, that might also open the possibility of moving armies stopping by for more hostile forms of foraging. In fact case it might be logical that they'll petition you to hand over supplies rather than artifacts, and whether they offer any compensation might depend on whether they're allied with your civ or not.

All of this is probably Sounds Good, No Timeline (SGNT) stuff.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: May 23, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »

Yeah yeah, go figure.

Toady, with the current direction of a diplomacy, could this lead to influencing the decisions of civs/war leaders into actively turning around armies to help you with reinforcements by delivering friendly forces to help fight on the map?

It'd be nice to get some recognition by armies for being a 'safe haven' to rest with the FOB thing Random_Dragon when you actively put your citizens at risk bordering a goblin civilization or in a extremely hostile & monster ridden environment that armies are too scared to cross over.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: May 26, 2017, 05:56:42 am »

When can we expect to see the sizes of weapons (and possibly other non-resizing items like backpacks) resize in the sense that clothing presently does. By this I mean not that the items resize automatically to fit the creature carrying it but that the actual items are made according to the size of a specific creature.  So for instance a sword made for a kobold is far smaller (and lighter) with a lower contact area than a sword made for an elephant person.   

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: May 26, 2017, 07:15:36 am »

Weapon sizes are actually defined in the raws, so the current system of kobolds using daggers seems fine.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:40 pm »

How much time do you think you could have saved if you hadn't added the raws?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: May 26, 2017, 09:02:26 pm »

How much time do you think you could have saved if you hadn't added the raws?
Making the game mod-friendly has no doubt increased the number of fans who have deep technical knowledge of the game and have stuck around for years. They've helped out several times (running the bug tracker, advising on the Linux compiler upgrade, etc). Who knows if they'd still be here if the game was deliberately non-friendly to modders. Can you measure that time saved?

Since the plan has always been flexibility and modability, you may as well ask, how much time could you have saved by making a different game...?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:04:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: May 27, 2017, 04:51:28 am »

As Shonai_Dweller said, the deep core of DF is its usage of procedural generation based on rules, so the saving would be that the file parsing would be removed and the data written directly into a structure corresponding to the raws data structure where they're stored internally currently. It should also be considered that once the file structure is in place, it's probably less work to add something to the files and start DF up to read them than it is to type it into the source code, recompile and run DF.
I don't know if Toady has done that, but given his side project activities he may very well may have had the data interpretation logic separated into a test program that just takes the files as input and produces output that's reasonably easy to check that it does match what was intended, rather than having to go through DF itself.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: May 27, 2017, 10:14:10 am »

Weapon sizes are actually defined in the raws, so the current system of kobolds using daggers seems fine.

It is not fine because you have to manually define a custom weapon of the appropriate size for every creature in the raws.  While this, while tedious and time consuming works for civilizations that are uniform, civilizations are generally made up of more than one different type of creature which are potentially of different sizes. 

Jimmius

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of Drink and Industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: May 27, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »

when it comes to tying squads into the larger military side of things, will the 'army' be made up of different dwarf squads doing the same task? I.E instead of telling Squad A to do X, you would 'form an army' consisting of Squad A and Squad B to go do X.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: May 27, 2017, 04:59:52 pm »

when it comes to tying squads into the larger military side of things, will the 'army' be made up of different dwarf squads doing the same task? I.E instead of telling Squad A to do X, you would 'form an army' consisting of Squad A and Squad B to go do X.
Armies are a long, long way off. All that's been mentioned so far is that it will involve recruiting from the actual surrounding populations of deep dwarves and hill dwarves. It's not likely that you'll ever have 5000 'live' dorfs to pick up and form an army from in the current form of fortress mode.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: May 28, 2017, 11:20:19 am »

Just some grinding away this week, including the weapon trap crash that has been around since the last release. The last major step is to get the kobold cave maps up to a point where they are suitable for retrieving artifacts from. I started refamiliarizing myself with the relevant cave/site code today. Aside from that, it's a bunch more random tweaking and cleaning and promises to keep, but at least the end is in sight out there.

Just some grinding away this week, including the weapon trap crash that has been around since the last release.

w͓̟ͅe҉̭̦̼̬̰̪͕a͇̥͎͓̠̼͍p̢̰͙͇̺̤o̴̗̺͎n͎̻̫̼̤͇ ̙͉̯̣͚̮̼ṯ̰ṟ͈͕̘̟̟a͏̪͕̭͇̲p̵͕ ͖̮͔͉̱͡c̛̺͕̲̻̣͚r҉̦͉̜a̠̥̞͍s͚̖̠̱̜h̵

Yesssss.

On a side note, what will kobold caves end up looking like in terms of population actually existing there and performing normal civilian behavior?

In other mods the best I've been able to do is give them a "chieftain" like profession with hearthperson-equivalents, which causes camping soldiers to populate the area around the cave. Sadly these soldiers can't be recruited if you make kobolds playable, because they count as being constantly being on the move.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1859 on: May 28, 2017, 12:25:07 pm »

The weapon trap crash reminds me - will that also fix the crashes occuring when ammo breaks? It's not as noticable in vanilla, however with my own modpack I noticed that when a certain type of ammo breaks it also causes a crash.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 211