Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406653 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1905 on: June 10, 2017, 04:16:52 pm »

If there are changes to animal code and the summary way animals are handled by civs, would this bring in changes to the taming & domestication system, and also properly simulate worldgenerated animal economies rather than the 'killing fields' in human towns where humans warp in world generated tame cavern creatures below them (olms etc) without any form of actual realized connection other than broad adjacency

Sort of bringing us closer to being able to buy a horse from the local market, if there's a little stable area of the market with animals roaming about and in cages within site animal stockpiles/pastures, having a peek at what the local civ has domesticated and how much ready stock they have of it to put towards a army, food or local defence.

One last question on this point, do any races have specific preferences & handling of aquatic or (moreso water bound) amphibious animals in this new scheme?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: June 10, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »

As of this version, bows and crossbows are more or less useless in adventure mode, due to the long reload rate and the sheer amount of bolts needed to put a target down, unless you get a lucky hit in. Are there any plans to increase the effectiveness of ranged weapons any time soon, or give them the ability to target specific body parts?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: June 10, 2017, 10:20:27 pm »

Alternatively: most likely it is "sounds good, nothing scheduled" but being able to mod firing/reload time or at least having the action of firing and reloading split up--instead of automatically reloading while being hacked at with an axe or chewed on by a giant zombie polar bear--would help provide a reason to actually use the ranged attacks rather than throwing the ammo, not to mention the additional tactical depth coming from choosing when and where to prepare another shot. After the combat/movement speed split for melee weapons it feels like ranged weapons have been left behind somewhat, is this going to be included in the eventual combat styles and such rework or was it sitting on a pile of "wanna get to it if pile gets down this far" stuff?

RobotFighter7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: June 11, 2017, 03:05:32 am »

During the magic arc, will night creatures as they currently exist be touched upon in the initial release? Will we see different rules or origins for things like vampires and night trolls? If you get to magical automatons, do you think you'll do anything with constructed undead as well?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: June 11, 2017, 10:43:30 am »

As of this version, bows and crossbows are more or less useless in adventure mode, due to the long reload rate and the sheer amount of bolts needed to put a target down, unless you get a lucky hit in. Are there any plans to increase the effectiveness of ranged weapons any time soon, or give them the ability to target specific body parts?

I've joked before that Toady has a habit of making the laws of physics themselves dwarf-centric, hence bows have to reload like crossbows.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: June 11, 2017, 04:53:08 pm »

If you raid a civ constantly, stealing their stuff and beating up their people, will that civ respect the regular siege triggers before retaliating? Or will there be a new 'annoyed enough to declare war' trigger now? In fact can a civ declare war without sending an army to attack, or is war only 'officially' started the moment a siege begins?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: June 12, 2017, 05:56:31 am »

Are the poison vermin one use only wholly consumed in the extraction (requiring recapture or breeding more) or will summary changes to animal-code make vermin on the whole more persistent in the future if they are going to be used in more common commercial use, such as re-milking them for the poison? Such as how mog hoppers have use for making drinks for instance, domesticating them within the dwarven preferences so i can import mog juice ale from the mountainhomes etc.

It's noted that vermin do seem to breed within a certain capacity when they are placed in a 3x3 or 2x2 square for adjacency, so its quite reasonable to use a cave spider silk farm/modified setup and burrowed kennel controls to micro manage a enclosed area. I've made a mint exporting hamsters to the elves before in well decorated cages so it's a piece of cake.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: June 12, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »

Related, is this poisoned weapon stuff going to be accessed via hardcoded behavior, or will there be some way for custom reactions to make use of this?

Because holy shit being able to apply poison to weapons has been on my wishlist for ages, it being a thing that's existed in broken, useless form since the days of Wanderer's Friend mod, and only sorta accomplished in my own mod via reactions to make contact poison to throw.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: June 14, 2017, 09:53:37 am »

So, what do you think the next release will give to modders?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: June 14, 2017, 10:44:05 am »

That's what I've been eagerly awaiting to hear, because I can't easily think of anything the impending update will give just yet.

I'm worried the eventual myth arc that allows for generated races will basically fuck over modders that try to set a specific desired flavor for the world.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: June 14, 2017, 12:21:01 pm »

That's what I've been eagerly awaiting to hear, because I can't easily think of anything the impending update will give just yet.

I'm worried the eventual myth arc that allows for generated races will basically fuck over modders that try to set a specific desired flavor for the world.
It ought to be that if your modded desired flavor uses the current world as the backdrop things ought to work more or less the same as now, with only minor (myth generated) variations to the standard (and introduced) races. Toady has also said he's looking at ways to allow you to lock down some features while allowing others to run free, forcing myth to explain why the locked down stuff is that way, so it might also work at other points along the line. There will be quirks and bugs, of course...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: June 14, 2017, 12:45:59 pm »

New animal raws (meaning the modding scene for making creatures will implode in a good way) & civ animal interaction raws initiallly it looks like for choosing classes of creature flexibly (or expanded options since kobolds favour poison creatures). Id personally interpret classes of creature as being a implicit way to group up animals outside of just castes in modding & outside terms

Etc, this dog is the same class of animal as this other dog but this magic dog can talk without having to define it as a caste or individually because its all from the same family.
Castes usually denote a familiarial or lifestage/gendered application of a creature rather than a genuine subspecies or variation brought about by alternative means. (A way to add in dragon types?)

giant desert scorpions & necrotic paralysis poison to use, good luck extracting it though hahaha.

Will the unique elf arrows gain any new effects in this or the forseeable roadplan with the ability to apply effects onto it? Cichi Cichi poison!

It just struck me how useful the dizzying effects of cave spider or otherwise paralysis poisons that aren't explicitly lethal could be versus trap immune creatures, I mean tip a little bit of giant cave spider poison onto a crossbow trap around your other cage traps, and trap immune creatures practically trap themselves.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:12:59 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:28 pm »

Please try not to complain if you won't even put in the minimum of effort required to do any research.

From the first devlog you'll see on the website right now:

I've been working with the old entity animal code, but the next step is to update that to allow more control over entities and their animals. For vanilla DF now, that'll be so kobolds can focus on poisonous creatures, but hopefully it'll be a bit more flexible for everybody, probably focusing on creature classes and tokens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: June 14, 2017, 11:37:58 pm »

That and something about memory layouts, and extra xml and other stuff that no doubt applies to modders (If they bothered to read the devblog).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: June 15, 2017, 02:45:14 am »

Especially DFHack devs.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 211