Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406544 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2010 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:01 pm »

Though, again, those numbers aren't "trigger a siege when this is reached" but "sieges may be triggered when this is reached".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: June 27, 2017, 01:43:11 am »

Though, again, those numbers aren't "trigger a siege when this is reached" but "sieges may be triggered when this is reached".
At the very least it will stop all those threads here and at Reddit which start "I've exported billions but still no goblins" and end "...pop cap 50 for fps reasons".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:45:17 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: June 27, 2017, 05:51:52 am »

Did you ever find out what happened to the missing monster hunters and their petitions to hunt in your caverns from the last release? Might they finally make an appearance in the upcoming release?

And...
What role will prophets (fake or otherwise) play in fortress mode? Will they preach in the taverns (or temples)? Will dwarves get stressed about the future just listening to them? Will they petition? If so, what as? Entertainers? Something new?

I'm thinking sprawling nightclub tavern here. Happy dorfs grooving with the naked Elf troupe in one room, goth kids listening intensely to prophecies of doom in the next...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:39:59 am by Shonai_Dweller »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: June 27, 2017, 06:37:13 am »

Did you ever find out what happened to the missing monster hunters and their petitions to hunt in your caverns from the last release? Might they finally make an appearance in the upcoming release?
Its obvious they got eaten by the monsters in the caverns so don't expect to see them ever again.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: June 27, 2017, 06:49:05 am »

Its obvious they got eaten by the monsters in the caverns so don't expect to see them ever again.
Beware the horrors that lurk deep within the Dwarf Fortress code...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:17 pm »

Technically gnomeblight and harmful reagents are possibly applicable, but that matters on exactly how the coating system Adamantine swords for example are strong enough to withstand being lit on fire with fire snake extract for instance because of heat resistances, though you'll probably want to make the dwarf wear gloves or something most certainly like how people try to 'capture' the dust of forgotten beasts then have dwarves die trying to pick it up.

Run around on the battlefield setting elves on fire, watching their rags & flimsy wooden weapons burn, then slice through some solid metal titans and forgotten beasts like butter with the heat of the blade melting them.
I imagine this is a case of "Sounds good, my dwarf went to take a soapy bath and now my cats explode when they clean themselves" (provided it works; it seems like bug-testing would have caught "sold some fire snake extract to elves and they're now on fire"). My own testing with husking dust coated pick resulted in strikes husking enemies as their limbs flew off with that same cutting motion, and then cat-husks in post-combat cleanup - due the picklord being coated in their enemies' blood.

I imagine this washing-off problem would be present with any poisons applied to wielded melee weapons, unless being coated in poison becomes an aspect of that particular weapon. Of course, Kobolds don't wash themselves and you can use weapon traps or ammo, but it's bit of a problem to utilize.
Again, just because they can cross the land that fast doesn't mean they will in practice.
I'm like 95% sure you know this (f you do, don't need to reply), but in case you don't there's a chance they would.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: June 28, 2017, 12:34:17 am »

The fire snake extract+sword thing makes me wonder when other people will encounter the hilarity I found when I set blood thorn fixed temp to ~12k urists and discovered upon firing the bolts into goblins that the steamy bursts of boiling blood appeared to emanate from my location rather than the target they were stuck into.
Instant matter transmission for boiling blood. That's the Armokiest thing I've ever heard.
I don't think it was the goblins' blood.
It was their blood, that much I can be sure of.

My favorite part of that bug report: "sorry about the mess, the camp is full of goblins and such from the nearby pits, but they make handy test subjects!"  I think it encapsulates so much of my experience with dwarf fortress.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: June 28, 2017, 07:34:41 am »

I forget how it works exactly, but do kidnapped children retain any of their original entity settings once they reach adulthood, or do they become completely goblin entity members? Specifically I'm thinking about beards. It's all very well goblins sending evil dwarf spies to your fortress with false identities, but lack of beard is going to give them away every time, isn't it?

New migrant: Great to see you all! I'm your long, lost cousin Uldric.
Urist: Where's your beard?
Uldric: Urm...kea stole it...
Urist: You're a goblin spy, aren't you?
Uldric: ...yeah. I'll get my coat.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:41 am »

Hair growth is a physical property, not a cultural one, so unless the goblin culture mandated everyone to be clean shaven (and doesn't except spies), the goblin civ dwarven spy is more likely to give himself away by performing goblin permitted acts not accepted by dwarves while on a mission (such as killing people for private reasons).
And the current dwarven definition could even work around a cultural taboo on beards, as females do not have facial hair...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:23 am »

Also plenty of dwarves actually do shave their beards and/or head.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: June 28, 2017, 04:23:42 pm »

Hair growth is a physical property, not a cultural one, so unless the goblin culture mandated everyone to be clean shaven (and doesn't except spies), the goblin civ dwarven spy is more likely to give himself away by performing goblin permitted acts not accepted by dwarves while on a mission (such as killing people for private reasons).
And the current dwarven definition could even work around a cultural taboo on beards, as females do not have facial hair...
Pretty sure that without beards defined in the goblin entity raws they won't get beards even if it's physically possible. My question was more from a player's point of view. Fake background is fine, but no beard description on a regular male dwarf would be a bit of a giveaway.

Just try starting as a dwarf adventurer from a human civ. It plays as if human civs actually had mandated no beards.

But like, I said, I forget how it works exactly. Maybe all dwarves (and humans) start growing beards naturally but without stylings after wandering around in the wild for a few years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:44:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: June 29, 2017, 01:58:55 am »

I was doing some modding lately and I could have sworn that the default dwarven beardliness was close cropped, with beards being civ controlled?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: June 29, 2017, 06:03:45 am »

For that kind of stuff work out more organically we'll need fashion to be integrated onto the game and culture to be more fleshed out perhaps.

Dwarves are physically capable of growing formidable bears yes, but how they are upkeep or grown are a different matter. Dwarblins (dwarves coming from goblins civs) could have bears but not breaded and shaven into especial forms, or could not have at all, really don't know how it works right know.

But beyond beards even clothes could given away. That's something that need development if Toady wants to be more realistic, and honestly don't know how high could this be on the priority list, if it's even there in the first place.

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: June 29, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »

But beyond beards even clothes could given away. That's something that need development if Toady wants to be more realistic, and honestly don't know how high could this be on the priority list, if it's even there in the first place.

This presents an interesting thought.

If NPCs ever gain the ability to scrutinize clothing choice, how will they handle a player that develops a preference for clothing or armor that doesn't match up with their natural identity? This could come about via gear stolen from another civ (taken as trophies for example), via reaction mods, or other methods both within and without the vanilla game's abilities.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:46 pm »

Most interestingly, you can define the lengths individually for the head/facial hair instead of lumping them under hair in the raws, doing so means your outsiders and such will have long beards AND hair instead of figuring out how to shave while roaming the wilds. On the entity level you can mess with the TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH values, I did this with goblins by setting them to like 10~15 to represent them shaving their kidnapped children regularly, though this reminds me of a question.

Does the TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING tag need a certain format besides just trying stuff like BRAIDED or SHAVED or whatnot? I couldn't get it to work with anything but the STANDARD_*_SHAPINGS entries, which brings up another question, are there any plans to move things like styling/jewelry/where jewelry can be equipped out to the raws in the near future?
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 211