Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406666 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2040 on: July 02, 2017, 05:25:52 am »

Whoops looks like i missed the mark on many of my questions but thanks for the response Toady.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: July 02, 2017, 08:59:14 am »

Any new tags? I have a mod, and I just wanna be sure what the new tags are so that I may update the mod for the upcoming version!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: July 02, 2017, 09:01:28 am »

Any new tags? I have a mod, and I just wanna be sure what the new tags are so that I may update the mod for the upcoming version!
There's usually a list of changes in the 'file changes.txt' with every release.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: July 02, 2017, 10:53:45 am »

I'm happy to see that we'll finally get visits from the monster hunters. Now I don't have to use my own citizens as fodder for the skin-rotting FBs.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: July 02, 2017, 12:54:09 pm »

Interesting answers as always.

I haven't added any kobold positions, and I don't think we intend to add them.  I devlogged a bit after this question about the new animal and no artifact claim stuff for them, and those are the new changes.

This is good then, that your fixes here don't involve kobold positions. I can confirm from modder experience that, as of current version, kobold positions only solve a few of the problems related to kobolds not doing proper site stuff. The closest I've been able to do effectively turns the area around caves into haphazard tent cities due to wandering soldiers wandering around the area.

The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease!

This sads the dragon.

On my first pass, I tried several 1000+ dark forts without running into issues.  I'm going to try again before the release with some newer saves if they are around.  Older saves don't apply since they didn't have the tower sprawl, which spread out the pops to decrease the number of units loaded.  If sites are okay with ~500 units loaded, they should be fine, but I'm sure there are still bad towers I just need to run into.  I didn't have issues in kobold sites.

How beefy is the computer you use for testing this stuff? Because fortress and dark fort lag seems to be a looming threat even for computers above potato-class, like my older desktop was. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: July 02, 2017, 01:31:34 pm »

I think that he was saying the density of creatures in goblin sites is greatly decreased because of the now greater number of towers that they can inhabit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: July 02, 2017, 02:04:32 pm »

Hmm, I see now. Been fiddling with tower density, interesting.

Problem with that is that watchtower population is only part of the lag. Most often it's the bonehoard or whatever you call the pits where goblins inter the dead and store their livestock.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: July 03, 2017, 10:47:26 am »

Do you have any ideas for other HFS level spoilers that you aren't revealing? I'm curious about whether or not I will be surprised by anything huge that isn't in an update log.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: July 03, 2017, 11:36:07 am »

Hmm, I see now. Been fiddling with tower density, interesting.

Problem with that is that watchtower population is only part of the lag. Most often it's the bonehoard or whatever you call the pits where goblins inter the dead and store their livestock.

The creatures are probably held to check with the new population limiting tags i think which would stop the pits from being so busy

]Do you have any ideas for other HFS level spoilers that you aren't revealing

See underlined, no issue with asking questions like that but you're probably not going to get a very revealing response when it comes to secretive HFS stuff in which the whole aspect relies on suprise. There's some details about 'possible' things on the development plan and from Toady's comments.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: July 03, 2017, 11:46:12 am »

Kobolds with weaponized forgotten beasts confirmed? 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: July 03, 2017, 01:02:15 pm »

]Do you have any ideas for other HFS level spoilers that you aren't revealing

See underlined, no issue with asking questions like that but you're probably not going to get a very revealing response when it comes to secretive HFS stuff in which the whole aspect relies on suprise. There's some details about 'possible' things on the development plan and from Toady's comments.

I don't want a revealing response. I don't wanna be spoiled. I just want to know if plans exist. Thanks for the link though!

leoboiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: July 04, 2017, 05:47:23 am »

In-game languages: is the new framework intended for the next couple releases? What are the current plans language-wise? Specifically, do you have any of the following in mind?:
  • A description of the phonologies and how they map to the orthographies
  • Procedurally-generated historical sound changes
  • Creature-to-creature spread of sound changes (resulting in dialects, etc.)
  • Inter-language influences/borrowing
  • Morphology

Thanks for everything!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: July 04, 2017, 06:02:11 am »

In-game languages: is the new framework intended for the next couple releases? What are the current plans language-wise? Specifically, do you have any of the following in mind?:
  • A description of the phonologies and how they map to the orthographies
  • Procedurally-generated historical sound changes
  • Creature-to-creature spread of sound changes (resulting in dialects, etc.)
  • Inter-language influences/borrowing
  • Morphology

Thanks for everything!
You're probably better off taking those to the suggestions forum. Sure, there are plans for expanding language one day, but the next few years are going to be spent on cleaning up this next release and getting out one or two mythgen releases. And mythgen's detailed plans don't include a new language framework (at the moment).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: July 04, 2017, 06:25:48 am »

Backing up Shonai Dweller, there's already 'languages' in the game with different linguistic rules (as seen here) and shonai is also right in that you should take & read suggestions similar to that to the suggestions forum.

I would not bet on your chances of Toady replying indepth, or with a response outside of "sounds good, no timeline" or "There are no immediate plans for that in the next few releases"

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:27:49 am by FantasticDorf »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: July 04, 2017, 07:37:17 am »

Will magical explosions be able to destroy natural tiles?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 211