Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406766 times)

leoboiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2055 on: July 04, 2017, 07:57:58 am »

Backing up Shonai Dweller, there's already 'languages' in the game with different linguistic rules (as seen here) and shonai is also right in that you should take & read suggestions similar to that to the suggestions forum.

I would not bet on your chances of Toady replying indepth, or with a response outside of "sounds good, no timeline" or "There are no immediate plans for that in the next few releases"

The current in-game languages don't have the things I've asked about.

I realize these are basically suggestions, but I searched this thread and saw a few references to a language framework rewrite in the works, related to profecies and stuff; so I was wondering what's planned for this restructuring he's talked about. I'll be glad to make linguistic suggestions, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I might or might not be considering a dfhack script to spice up the current languages within the existing framework..

edwahjr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 04, 2017, 11:15:05 am »

You have previously mentioned wizard assistants being used as hosts for demons, and you have mentioned sentient artifacts. Would it be possible to bind a demon to an artifact? Would there be any effects based on the demon's attributes?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:10:47 pm by edwahjr »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 04, 2017, 11:17:03 am »

You have previously mentioned wizard assistants being used as hosts for demons, and you have mentioned sentient artifacts. Would it be possible to bind a demon to an artifact? Would there be any effects based on the demon's attributes?

Lime green is your friiiieeend. It's how Toady looks for questions.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 04, 2017, 11:30:15 am »

The forum convention is to mark questions to Toady in (lime) green to allow him to find them when answering at each turn of the month.
Both of the things you ask require magic, which isn't implemented in the artifact release, but is the subject of the next major arc (whose development will start half a year or so after the current release is done, given bug fix/improvement/minor addition releases following the major one). Also note that myth & magic is a large area that probably requires more than one major arc to implement, and it is not certain all of those will be performed in sequence, so some things may be pushed into the unscheduled future.
Binding of demons etc. into vessels are things that are probably intended to be implemented, although when is a different issue. As to effects it probably depends:
- An item specifically made to hold a demon/spirit/... to harness its powers would presumably do so.
- An item designed to contain a powerful creature (to keep it imprisoned) would probably try to nullify any effects, but may fail to do so completely (in which case the effects would probably mainly be negative ones).
- An item designed to contain a creature to allow it to enter a realm where it cannot go unshielded would probably be designed to provide the creature maximum agency.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 04, 2017, 02:08:45 pm »

iirc there's already some framework set up re: separation of body and soul that'll probably allow for things like "soul vessels" later on.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 05, 2017, 12:15:58 am »

- An item designed to contain a powerful creature (to keep it imprisoned) would probably try to nullify any effects, but may fail to do so completely (in which case the effects would probably mainly be negative ones).
Upon first thought, I'm thinking of an artifact sock that shoots webs everywhere cause someone used it to seal a spider FB.

Upon second thought, I recall how cages that capture FBs may be too hot to be moved (and not sure if they could emit poison gas/miasma too if the occupant uses poison gas/is rotten), so this is already sorta present.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 05, 2017, 03:11:17 am »

I believe cages are air/water tight (and has been used to save creatures from drowning during flooding), which would imply gas etc. won't get out (and cages with GCS' don't spew webs). I think the only things that can get out of cages are sperm (impregnating nearby females of that animal species) and reanimated corpses (they are teleported out of the cage on reanimation). Temperature calculation is probably not a good model for how a soul/creature containing item could affect the surroundings, though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 05, 2017, 05:31:42 am »

Well, I know for fact miasma escapes buildings even if miasma-producer is inside the building, and cages at the very least can be a building, so I'd guess miasma would escape a cage (don't feel like starving grazer to test unbuilt cage rn).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:19 am »

Well, I don't get miasma from animals dying of old age (or starving to death) in free standing cages even when I don't bother to clean the corpses out. I haven't had anything dying in built cages, though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:15 am »

I always thought that the cages itemised the creature (still alive etc), like how things don't rot inside barrels/containers even though there's no reason besides flavour explanations & game features for it to hold out for 200 years in pristine condition locked behind a walled off room or something as a example.

Though edible honey was found in egyptian pyramid tombs, but that's besides the point in regards to honey having longetivity when stored, as opposed to something that might rot easily or go stale like a meat-biscuit.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:15 pm »

1. Will some civilizations prohibit the use of magic?
2. Could some possible corruptions from magic include growing extra limbs such as a tentacle or a tail?
3. Could magic users hide their corruptions under heavy amounts of clothing?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 06, 2017, 05:29:29 pm »

1. Will some civilizations prohibit the use of magic?
2. Could some possible corruptions from magic include growing extra limbs such as a tentacle or a tail?
3. Could magic users hide their corruptions under heavy amounts of clothing?
Looks more like a suggestion to me.

2 sounds reasonable for the magic update, but 1&3 depend on crime and disguises, so no timeline.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:35:31 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 06, 2017, 10:07:37 pm »

Will dwarf civs now attack other sites they find annoying in initial worldgen, or is provoking them enough to retaliate only something the player is able to achieve?

Once they're at war will both sides continue to send armies to attack each other's sites, or will your civ end up turtling in the way dwarves do right now?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:06 am »

Toady, in your most recent update you mentioned sending your expedition leader to raid a mountainhome, which the dwarf did not survive. The civ responded with a small siege of ten troops. Was this small force sent because you sent such a tiny force to attack? If one sends larger forces to raid sites, will the civ send larger retaliation forces?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 07, 2017, 01:20:29 am »

Toady mentioned in last week's reply that civs declare war on your civ as a whole in retaliation for being raided, as opposed to specifically sending counter-attacks to the raiders site.

I guess the small force is just a result of it being a first attack or whatever it is makes goblins only send a small number of troops at first in the current version (wealth? population? Goblin sense of fair play? something like that probably).

Oh, and another question:
What season will dwarves attack in?
Any season? Just Autumn? Any chance to see a seperation of 'friendly merchant visit' and 'gonna kill ya all' active seasons?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:27:21 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 211