Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406875 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2265 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:43 am »

What, if anything, will be changed/new in Legends mode for this the artifact release?

Most likely improved artifacts tab. Not only books showing up.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 15, 2017, 05:54:40 am »

What, if anything, will be changed/new in Legends mode for this the artifact release?

Most likely improved artifacts tab. Not only books showing up.
Export function will include lots more data apparently. Including instruments and musical forms for sure, but not sure what else yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 15, 2017, 06:30:25 pm »

At the time that you read this, has the new version been released yet? If so, congratulations! If not, I don't mind. It takes time to do this kind of amazing work.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »

At the time that you read this, has the new version been released yet? If so, congratulations! If not, I don't mind. It takes time to do this kind of amazing work.

Chances are it'll be read before then, since september is the earliest projected date.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 15, 2017, 06:55:18 pm »

Chances are it'll be read before then, since september is the earliest projected date.
A couple of weeks before it's released there's usually an announcement that it's complete, locked down and they're into stress testing before release.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2270 on: August 16, 2017, 05:56:00 pm »

Hey toady, one of my most memorable dwarf fortress adventure mode moments is when in version 31 I was looking at the world map and saw a place called "the hill of worms" and when I went there (because of course I did)  the ground was actually made of wormy tendrils, and not much else, no creatures, no trees, no undead, just worms. I know now (since I've been playing DF so long) this happened purely randomly. My question is though, do you ever plan to add a post processing step to map generation where it looks through the region names for specific keywords (e.g. "Worms" or "Centaurs" whenever you add them) and actually say decides to spawn a population of centaurs on "Centaur Isle" or specifically makes the grass worms in the "hill of worms". Or some feature that is akin to this.

I'm aware there's a processing cost (specifically O(n^2) in this situation if you loop through the list of regions then their names) but it doesn't seem (as a roguelike developer myself) like it would be all that hard to add, and I think it would definitely add flavor.Also this sort of thing is a common trope in fantasy .

(Assuming you are using c++ strings rather then the original  c style character arrays to represent strings you could use this built in method http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/find/)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:16:32 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: August 16, 2017, 06:15:27 pm »

Linking the c++ reference to the "find" function is...how to say :

you know Toady is programming for...a few (or more) years, don't you ?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2272 on: August 16, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »

Linking the c++ reference to the "find" function is...how to say :

you know Toady is programming for...a few (or more) years, don't you ?

That is the Find method that is available with c++ strings, it wasn't meant to be snark or anything like that. That is why I used the word "Method" .it was more meant like "this is the code I would use" he probably even has his own version of it already since you can filter words in adventure mode conversations/legends mode already.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:28:18 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Jairl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 16, 2017, 06:23:43 pm »

Hey toady, one of my most memorable dwarf fortress adventure mode moments is when in version 31 I was looking at the world map and saw a place called "the hill of worms" and when I went there (because of course I did)  the ground was actually made of wormy tendrils, and not much else, no creatures, no trees, no undead, just worms. I know now (since I've been playing DF so long) this happened purely randomly. My question is though, do you ever plan to add a post processing step to map generation where it looks through the region names for specific keywords (e.g. "Worms" or "Centaurs" whenever you add them) and actually say decides to spawn a population of centaurs on "Centaur Isle" or specifically makes the grass worms in the "hill of worms". Or some feature that is akin to this.

I'm aware there's a processing cost (specifically O(n^2) in this situation if you loop through the list of regions then their names) but it doesn't seem (as a roguelike developer myself) like it would be all that hard to add, and I think it would definitely add flavor.Also this sort of thing is a common trope in fantasy .

(Assuming you are using c++ strings rather then the original  c style character arrays to represent strings you could use this built in method http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/find/)

Don't you ever wonder why there are no Dwarves in the Dwarf Fortress? Or no more trees in the Elfin Forest? Well, obviously the dwarves burned down all those trees with their magma traps, and then went digging for HFS.

There use to be Centaurs on Centaur Island... but then the Unicorns came and slaughtered them all :O

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 16, 2017, 06:26:51 pm »

If you're going to improve the naming system, would it not make more sense to have civilizations name the areas they discover after what's there rather than the other way around? Wormy Field called so because (when humans first moved in) it was full of worms. In addition to naming stuff after battles, leaders, kobold massacres and so on. (Suggestions forum).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2275 on: August 16, 2017, 06:31:04 pm »

If you're going to improve the naming system, would it not make more sense to have civilizations name the areas they discover after what's there rather than the other way around? Wormy Field called so because (when humans first moved in) it was full of worms. In addition to naming stuff after battles, leaders, kobold massacres and so on. (Suggestions forum).

Does it name them as civs discover them already? I was just wondering if he plans something akin to what I stated.seems natural so I figured he thought of it at some point.
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:00 pm »

Does it name them as civs discover them already? I was just wondering if he plans something akin to what I stated.seems natural so I figured he thought of it at some point.
Not right now, it's just random (modified by biome type, evilness, savagery, etc). But for a world simulation it'd be more realistic than randomly adding unicorns in a bione they don't belong just because the rng came up with a meaningless name.

But like I said, should be taken to the suggestions forum (probably already there somewhere).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2277 on: August 16, 2017, 08:08:02 pm »

Not right now, it's just random (modified by biome type, evilness, savagery, etc). But for a world simulation it'd be more realistic than randomly adding unicorns in a bione they don't belong just because the rng came up with a meaninglesso name.

But like I said, should be taken to the suggestions forum (probably already there somewhere).
Just curious if he's thought about it.Honestly don't have the time, nor the interest in writing up a whole "suggestion" thread on it this week. (Or having to maintain that) I Will at some point I guess though. (At work rn)  mainly just curious if he's thought of something similar.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:15:47 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 17, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »

Farewell to the outpost liaison data dump. You shan't be missed.
Fantastic news.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2279 on: August 17, 2017, 10:58:02 pm »

Farewell to the outpost liaison data dump. You shan't be missed.
Fantastic news.
Funny thing, I have been relistening through the DF talk episodes and I saw in one of the older episodes "you should be able to see a world map that gets updated as people come through your fort" (or something like that) awesome to see toady finally implementing that!
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 211