Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406441 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2280 on: August 18, 2017, 10:50:52 pm »

How well defended are world-gen artifacts, do they ever get placed in tombs with the world-gen rulers? And if they are in fact hidden in the tomb are they elegible for quests?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: August 18, 2017, 11:03:00 pm »

What was going to be covered in the dev item "support for the journey" (seems to have been skipped for this time?)? Is that something like hiring hill dwarves and such to assist? Or sending ahead word for supplies to be prepared?

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: August 20, 2017, 04:30:59 am »

Once the myth gen is integrated, will we be able to see what the generator has created?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: August 20, 2017, 04:45:10 am »

Once the myth gen is integrated, will we be able to see what the generator has created?

Obviously. It'll also be hypertext-like.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: August 20, 2017, 04:50:12 am »

Mythgen demo (starts at about 9:15)
https://youtu.be/v8zwPdPvN10

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: August 20, 2017, 05:33:00 am »

Actually what i meant was once you genned your world you could view the mythology that it generated, i just think it would be cool to look at all the random magic and such

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: August 20, 2017, 05:44:47 am »

Actually what i meant was once you genned your world you could view the mythology that it generated, i just think it would be cool to look at all the random magic and such
Hopefully all that info will be readily available in Legends. Exportable too.
I imagine on Fantasy level 4 you're going to want to read carefully about the creatures you're going to try playing with and the weird magic they're capable of before you embark.

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: August 20, 2017, 07:09:06 am »

I imagine on Fantasy level 4 you're going to want to read carefully about the creatures you're going to try playing with and the weird magic they're capable of before you embark.
Yeah, although i wonder if the races could be genned in random materials?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: August 20, 2017, 07:44:39 am »

Yeah, although i wonder if the races could be genned in random materials?

Will probably include a "powerfulness" variable for materials. Nobody wants siegers made out of slade.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: August 20, 2017, 12:31:16 pm »

I doubt races will be non organic, as that will mess things up even more than they're already going to be. What would a fire based race use for sustenance, and how does farming/livestock come into play? This sounds like enhancements that can be added after 1.0...

As for extra dimensional creatures (Titans/FBs/Clowns currently) I believe divine materials, slade, and candy are already off the list.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: August 20, 2017, 10:27:55 pm »

I doubt races will be non organic, as that will mess things up even more than they're already going to be. What would a fire based race use for sustenance, and how does farming/livestock come into play? This sounds like enhancements that can be added after 1.0...

As for extra dimensional creatures (Titans/FBs/Clowns currently) I believe divine materials, slade, and candy are already off the list.

They... wouldn't use anything, like goblins do now.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: August 20, 2017, 10:38:18 pm »

Goblins raise trolls and shear them for their wool to make clothes.

Would be a bit of a waste if random creature civs all ended up as titan-like critters. No need for food, farming, or anything. Utterly boring worldsim.

I like the part in the PC Gamer interview where Toady muses on how one simple innate ability (teleportation) should end up effecting almost everything we know about society. But slade hulks as actual civs would be a step too far, I think (but modders, go crazy, sure).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:44:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: August 20, 2017, 10:50:39 pm »

Would be a bit of a waste if random creature civs all ended up as titan-like critters. No need for food, farming, or anything. Utterly boring worldsim.

I like the part in the PC Gamer interview where Toady muses on how one simple innate ability (teleportation) should end up effecting almost everything we know about society. But slade hulks as actual civs would be a step too far, I think (but modders, go crazy, sure).

I thought you meant food. A fire civ would, for example, coat their weapons with fire to make them ignite people. Sorta like the draconians in my mod, but their armor ignites non-draconians trying to wear it, by the virtue of being dragonfire-hot.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: August 21, 2017, 02:22:32 am »

I thought you meant food. A fire civ would, for example, coat their weapons with fire to make them ignite people. Sorta like the draconians in my mod, but their armor ignites non-draconians trying to wear it, by the virtue of being dragonfire-hot.
It's a cool idea, of course, but as PatrikLundell said, post ver 1.0. Otherwise Toady's going to have to put development on hold and spend years developing sites for every single possible variant of civ. What kind of sites do vomit creatures build? What about amphibious vomit creatures, flying vomit creatures, underground vomit creatures, etc, etc?

Or an engine robust enough to create site types automatically based on the main creatures in a civ (probably just as long). And lets not get into multi-racial civs as most of them are these days.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: August 21, 2017, 02:32:18 am »

Yes, when it comes to site support, there's much lower hanging fruit to harvest first, like elven, human, and goblin sites (kobold sites just got an overhaul, but as far as I understand, that's "only" for visiting purposes, not as a complete working "fortress" site).
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 211