Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406700 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2340 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:59 am »

It seems that there are various things in DF that are always the same (dwarves, elves, counts, barons, swords, halberds... etc). Will there eventually be a feature that procgens civilization structures, weapons(like instruments) and civilized races(like clowns)? I could imagine a 'randomness' scale that controls the races, weapons, cultures and so on, but not geography, history gen, and stuff like that. It would probably scale between "Alien Culture" to "Familiar Places" or "Entirely Random" to "Very Predictable".

You basically described part of the mythgen update, which is coming in ~4 years. You know, Toady may add those exact values in the sliders for myth.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 31, 2017, 04:16:04 pm »

You basically described part of the mythgen update, which is coming in ~4 years. You know, Toady may add those exact values in the sliders for myth.
Yeah, I know about the mythgen thing, but I was wondering if generation was specifically going eventually extend to weapons and other stuff. (can't wait for mythgen gonna be the best thing ever)
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 01, 2017, 03:55:25 am »

I'm curious as to how you're considering sorting out the baby survivor issue. Is it not possible to just imprison them (presumably they'll starve or something)? Are you thinking of adding something detailed later (orphanages, temples, foster families, sacrifice at dawn) to deal with them?

I'm assuming goblin raider babies can just be 'babysnatched' to keep them in place...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2343 on: September 01, 2017, 08:34:38 am »

Will sea creatures be expanded upon when boats are out?
Will there be such a thing as Sea FB?
Will FB have access to magic?

Toady has talked about more variable sea monsters in the past, and we already have sea-based titans.
Not to mention he has several types of water based night creatures planned.
So probably.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:49:54 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2344 on: September 01, 2017, 08:39:05 am »

Are the expeditions and squads you can sent out directly controlled by the player, or is it all a weighted RNG thing?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I've been curious for some time.
You send them off your map, then the AI takes control (the world is alive so it's actually a simulation not just "weighted rng") they do their mission and come back if they survived, then tell you what happened.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2345 on: September 01, 2017, 08:48:38 am »

Will we be able to be recruited by traveling NPC adventurers and act as their subordinates?
I took the liberty of coloring your text for you. Make  your text lime green if you want toady to answer it.
Also, maybe eventually.
You can already join artisan troupes/be subordinate to lords/be subordinate to bandit leaders and toady mentioned in a dev log that the NPC questers can pick up companions themselves. So it's only natural to extend this to allowing them to ask players to join them.
Doesn't mean it will be in on release though.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2346 on: September 01, 2017, 08:51:52 am »

It seems that there are various things in DF that are always the same (dwarves, elves, counts, barons, swords, halberds... etc). Will there eventually be a feature that procgens civilization structures, weapons(like instruments) and civilized races(like clowns)? I could imagine a 'randomness' scale that controls the races, weapons, cultures and so on, but not geography, history gen, and stuff like that. It would probably scale between "Alien Culture" to "Familiar Places" or "Entirely Random" to "Very Predictable".

Magic is meant for next after the artifact release and we are close to
The artifact release, so less then four years, maybe 2 . But it's a pretty huge update.
I am an indie game dev!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 01, 2017, 09:24:26 am »

Magic is meant for next after the artifact release and we are close to
The artifact release, so less then four years, maybe 2 . But it's a pretty huge update.

TWO????? YEARS????? WELL, THEN IT'S GOING TO BE THE BEST THING EVER.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 01, 2017, 10:41:46 am »

Will we ever see an expansion on the cavern plants like we did for the aboveground? Or keep them more basic for newer players?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2349 on: September 01, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »

Speaking of underground plants, will the weird seasonal-plant inversion ever be fixed? (I refer to the fact that despite the cave river being long dead and gone, the underground plants still only grow during certain seasons, while the aboveground plants can grow at any time. This is exactly the opposite of what you would expect, and what makes sense.)

Are the expeditions and squads you can sent out directly controlled by the player, or is it all a weighted RNG thing?

You send them off your map, then the AI takes control (the world is alive so it's actually a simulation not just "weighted rng") they do their mission and come back if they survived, then tell you what happened.

So the battles are truly simulated, and not treated as worldgen/offsite battles are (those are just randomly decided)? That is, gear and skills of each side make a difference?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:38:03 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: September 01, 2017, 04:52:08 pm »

Worldgen battles are simulated, not randomly decided. This next release deepens the simulation a little by taking into account individual dorfs equipment (and ensuring babies sit out the fight).

(The worldgen battles are certainly simple, basically a series of one on one fights - perhaps a little more complex than that. But definitely not random.)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 01, 2017, 04:54:18 pm »

Will there be a lot of Kobold Quest references in the new kobold caves?

Why can't I give this man a gold medal?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2352 on: September 01, 2017, 05:24:17 pm »

Speaking of underground plants, will the weird seasonal-plant inversion ever be fixed? (I refer to the fact that despite the cave river being long dead and gone, the underground plants still only grow during certain seasons, while the aboveground plants can grow at any time. This is exactly the opposite of what you would expect, and what makes sense.)

So the battles are truly simulated, and not treated as worldgen/offsite battles are (those are just randomly decided)? That is, gear and skills of each side make a difference?

Skills and numbers are taken into account in world gen battles. They are definitely not random.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2353 on: September 01, 2017, 05:25:07 pm »

Worldgen battles are simulated, not randomly decided. This next release deepens the simulation a little by taking into account individual dorfs equipment (and ensuring babies sit out the fight).

(The worldgen battles are certainly simple, basically a series of one on one fights - perhaps a little more complex than that. But definitely not random.)
Wish I could upvote this.

World gen battles even take into account possible damage types.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:26:57 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2354 on: September 01, 2017, 05:50:59 pm »

Skills and numbers are taken into account in world gen battles. They are definitely not random.

Wait, what?! When did this change? Last I knew, retired fortresses were falling to ridiculously weak invaders because it was a 50-50 chance for the defender to win (or something along those lines).
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 211