Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406810 times)

MoonstoneFace

• Bay Watcher
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2415 on: September 08, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »

Will heroes and adventurers ever have titles related to their achievements? For example, in one adventure mode world I killed about twenty buzzards. Could there be a thing where I become MoonstoneFace the Buzzard Killer/Slayer of Birds, and could that be added to generated heroes based on their achievements?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:00:47 am by MoonstoneFace »
Quote from: Michael Caine
I am Michael Caine

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: September 08, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »

Will heroes and adventurers ever have titles related to their achievements? For example, in one adventure mode world I killed about twenty buzzards. Could there be a thing where I become MoonstoneFace the Buzzard Killer/Slayer of Birds, and could that be added to generated heroes based on their achievements?

...I was gonna say to lime-green-ify your question, but quoting revealed you did but failed to place it correctly, which is legit the first time I can recall seeing someone do that. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: September 08, 2017, 03:55:51 pm »

Would be nice to see a more dynamic system that connects titles closer with reputation. That way, different parts of the world would know you by different titles, which seems to be how it works in a lot of fantasy. With an attached title only coming in when your reputation throughout the world is firmly established. We're already starting to see indications of that with 'protector of the weak' and such.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2418 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:46 pm »

With that awesome new devlog about the questing dwarf. In adventure mode Could I stalk an artifact quester to the dragons cave, without them noticing or maybe with a chance of being busted in the process, wait for them to retrieve it, then terminate them and get the glory for finding the artifact with no sequence breaks? Eg, can i follow them as they barhop directly and watch them walk into the cave or even see them sneak in and get the artifact?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: September 08, 2017, 09:49:05 pm »

There's a world editor planned (appears in mythgen devnotes, although not sure how likely that is, at least in the first run). That'll let you design sites as you like, place histfigs etc and basically replicate whatever fantasy worlds you like.

Macro recorder is just recording a sequence of keypresses isn't it? That seems like it wouldn't be a quick fix but a new system altogether.
A full world painter would indeed be epic.  As for the macro issue, I'm not sure it would be actually be that complicated.  I say so because the utility 'Quick Fort' has had this fix implemented as long as I can remember.  That is why I currently use Quick Fort macros for placing furniture & designating rooms, while the ingame macros are for digging only.  Would be nice if I could move all of my recordings to the ingame format.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: September 09, 2017, 06:02:04 am »

I have a question that's kind of suggestion-ny but is closely related to current development  so I'm going to push my luck.

In your Dev blog post 09/07/17 you said

Uzol had orders, though, and he followed them to the letter. He broke into the temple and brought me back the relic... now I guess I have a save if I want to test being invaded by angry humans.

My question is, do you have any intention of adding IF/THEN/ELSE statements to the orders that you give to Artifact retrieval squads, for example

IF Owner human THEN Diplomacy ELSE Steal
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:11:04 pm by JesterHell696 »
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: September 09, 2017, 11:53:18 am »

Two questions, mostly economy related:

What are the plans for crafting speeds of items? Making them more realistic would mean, for example, that good chain mail would take almost a season to make from a decent armourer. This would have quite a big impact on gameplay, not necessarily positive. Which one would you prefer in this case, realism or gameplay?

Currently the economy of dwarven forts resembles bronze age palace economies, which got me thinking: once monetary economy has been added back in and innovations affect gameplay, will the former require inventions to appear? So if you start a fort in a world where things like currency and private ownership haven't been invented yet, will the economy be like the current one where dwarves don't have personal wealth and share everything?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2422 on: September 09, 2017, 01:18:05 pm »

What with all the desire of maintaining the siege triggers, maybe a concept could be that a fortress is in "low profile" mode until they commit to some diplomatic action that opens them up to the general diplomacy and trade scene? So an isolationist fortress would experience very limited trade and outside contact, and of any incoming attacks, there would be ones they're more likely to pay off simply by surprising the ill-informed with the amount they're willing to give away, or people just getting lost trying to find your fort. Just a thought, though.
How much significance will currency have in diplomatic exchange in this upcoming release? Are the plans to make them significant for such measures deferred out until the Economy arc?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: September 09, 2017, 02:02:42 pm »

What with all the desire of maintaining the siege triggers, maybe a concept could be that a fortress is in "low profile" mode until they commit to some diplomatic action that opens them up to the general diplomacy and trade scene? So an isolationist fortress would experience very limited trade and outside contact, and of any incoming attacks, there would be ones they're more likely to pay off simply by surprising the ill-informed with the amount they're willing to give away, or people just getting lost trying to find your fort. Just a thought, though.
How much significance will currency have in diplomatic exchange in this upcoming release? Are the plans to make them significant for such measures deferred out until the Economy arc?
Given that neither diplomacy nor a decent economy is in the near term cards, that doesn't seem very likely. When it comes to the upcoming release, all the indications have been that the only thing you can "trade" to avert a siege is requested artifacts, so being deferred to the economy arc seems like the probable outcome.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: September 09, 2017, 02:28:34 pm »

In adventure mode, will your character ever be able to call out a demon that's taken over a human civilization in the guise of a god (or, you know, any modded creature with the [POWER] token) as a false deity, in a similar way to how you can currently expose night creatures?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: September 09, 2017, 04:18:34 pm »

Dear Toady One,

I (sort of) maintain one of the more popular embark profile packs, and there's something of a mad scramble to playtest/fix them with each release (Embark points changed? Stepladders? Asexual livestock? Wooden axes?)

Are there any changes in the coming release/fixes that obviously require changes in Embark Profiles?
Team Bug Fix!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: September 09, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »

Well im not toady (evidently) but its highly likely that pedestals may end up being tool equipment akin to other objects such as bookcases.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:41:32 pm by FantasticDorf »

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: September 09, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »

if you send a dwarf out by himself on an expedition, would they get attacked by bogeymen at night?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:36:21 pm by Killermartian »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: September 09, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

if you send a dwarf out by himself on an expedition, would they get attacked by bogeymen at night?
Answered a couple of months ago. No.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: September 10, 2017, 11:00:32 am »

Yeah, it's also rather easy to figure out with knowledge of existing behavior. Other traveling NPCs never actually suffer bogeyman attacks, and that would carry some hilarious implications if that were the case (would traveling semi-megabeasts by affected? Night trolls?).

Currently bogeymen are only a concern to the player, in adventurer mode. And that is why advanced worldgen is your friiiieeend.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 211