Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1404512 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2430 on: September 10, 2017, 03:25:28 pm »

if you send a dwarf out by himself on an expedition, would they get attacked by bogeymen at night?
Answered a couple of months ago. No.
That sucks.

...yes I want that. I just really like the idea of me not being the only one in the DF worlds that gets mauled by those jerks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: September 10, 2017, 04:03:13 pm »

if you send a dwarf out by himself on an expedition, would they get attacked by bogeymen at night?
Answered a couple of months ago. No.
That sucks.

...yes I want that. I just really like the idea of me not being the only one in the DF worlds that gets mauled by those jerks.
Bogeymen are due for a revamp during mythgen. Probably because they're a weird player-centered gamey device with no real meaning in the world right now.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: September 10, 2017, 05:39:33 pm »

Will we ever be able to run two fortresses at once?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: September 10, 2017, 09:26:26 pm »

Will night trolls ever come to abduct dwarves in your fortress?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: September 11, 2017, 01:37:12 am »

"Ever" is a long time. When two way portals come along it ought to eventually be possible to have activities on both sides at the same time, which might be called "two fortresses" or "one fortress with activities split over several locations". Two actual fortresses (i.e. two embarks, etc) is unlikely, but would rather end up as a new civ level game mode where fortresses aren't controlled in detail (however that would work, if it gets implemented). I doubt sufficiently many people would want to control multiple embarks in parallel at the current level of detail for Toady to find it worth the trouble to implement it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: September 11, 2017, 01:50:47 am »

"Ever" is a long time. When two way portals come along it ought to eventually be possible to have activities on both sides at the same time, which might be called "two fortresses" or "one fortress with activities split over several locations". Two actual fortresses (i.e. two embarks, etc) is unlikely, but would rather end up as a new civ level game mode where fortresses aren't controlled in detail (however that would work, if it gets implemented). I doubt sufficiently many people would want to control multiple embarks in parallel at the current level of detail for Toady to find it worth the trouble to implement it.
Yeah more likely to be one main site and one minor site if at all. Since the ai can handle sites by itself there's not much point really. Two bits of a 'single fortress' based in two dimensions linked by a portal maybe.

By that time hopefully people will be over the concept that a site has to be a 'fortress'. Or feature dwarves...

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: September 11, 2017, 08:15:46 pm »

I hope. That would be very fun, especially if you could send your own dwarves to rescue them.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: September 11, 2017, 08:34:08 pm »

I hope. That would be very fun, especially if you could send your own dwarves to rescue them.

I wrote a suggestion about this about the time Toady was working on the night creatures.I thought then it wouldn't be so hard as there were mechanics for abductions already.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: September 11, 2017, 08:43:42 pm »

Managing several sites at the same time is not something's that crazy and really doesn't need magic portals. It would suffice if you simply can control the adjacents squares to your fortress to expand it. Finally you could have a city more than a fortress.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:48 pm »

Then, since they transform at the time of birth, if it's a woman, perform surgery to remove the night troll embryo.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: September 12, 2017, 03:02:22 am »

Managing several sites at the same time is not something's that crazy and really doesn't need magic portals. It would suffice if you simply can control the adjacents squares to your fortress to expand it. Finally you could have a city more than a fortress.

Having more than one site active in memory is the critical step for multiple sites, and this logic is going to be introduced by Toady as two way portals are implemented.
Expanding an existing site is expanding an existing site, and not multiple sites (any more than a building at each end of a current embark is multiple sites). It's probably possible to implement expansion with limited coding effort, but you may already be able to retire and then use DFHack's Embark Anywhere to embark on a larger site that covers the original one.
Toady touched on the subject of having embarks crossing world tile boundaries recently. It appears to be possible with a limited effert, but as usual, there are a number of unlablelled cans in the closet that may very well contain worms...
It can also be noted that expanding an existing embark would screw up every coordinate in it, unless the expansion is only to the south/east.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: September 12, 2017, 03:17:48 am »

You know, by the time version 1.0 is released, we could as well load the entire world in memory. Woohoo, Moore's law!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: September 12, 2017, 06:23:11 am »

Moore's law is basically dead at this point due to the whole "physics" thing. Memory size increases don't have much to do with it anyway, that's all determined by breakthroughs in technology, which are happening pretty regularly.

(Moore's law is specifically about transistors per square inch on integrated circuits, so breakthroughs in technology definitely aren't counted there)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: September 12, 2017, 06:26:57 am »

Moore's law is basically dead at this point due to the whole "physics" thing. Memory size increases don't have much to do with it anyway, that's all determined by breakthroughs in technology, which are happening pretty regularly.

(Moore's law is specifically about transistors per square inch on integrated circuits, so breakthroughs in technology definitely aren't counted there)

A little bit of confusion here, sorry.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: September 13, 2017, 01:56:58 pm »

Well pepople seems to stimate the end of Moore's las around 2020~2021. But I'm not sure that would mean the progress on semiconductors will stop, it could just become slower as we aproach the atomic level I think.

Nos, what I meant with control of the areas around the fortress was for you to load them just as sites. That's it, districts of the same city. However being capable of loading everything or larger places at once would be sweet, the problem is not RAM. In theory with current technology ram has a pretty high upper limit. It would be processing power to keep everything in the screen moving along. While we don't quite see huge progress on processor speeds anymore, we do get increasing core numbers, which would mean that to do all that, DF needs to be rewritten to dinamically take advantage of N number of processors, no small feat given that even not all AAA games don't do it yet (mostly because the gaming indistry is in a sorry-ass state of churning cheapo-moneygrabing recycled games year after year).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:00:21 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 211